What's new

No guard DE?

Wow! What an experience. After reading through the forum posts and seeing one you tube video I have rolled up my sleeves to try this great Devette! First I spent more than half an hour contemplating whether to take the plunge or go with the regular Gillette razor. Finally I made up my mind and with great reverence took an Astra blade and loaded the razor. For preparation, as I was really scared, used double the amount of lather for additional safeguard. Started with the side burns (right) very slowly and with zero pressure and approximately 40 degree angle, made couple very small strokes and could feel this devette is giving a very clean shave. I repeated the same for the left side and was very nervous in my chin/neck area. As I took almost 15 minutes for the first pass, there were no cuts or weepers. As a matter of fact I had lot of cuts and bruises when I started with the SAFETY DE. But much to my surprise there was no blood or cuts with this Devette!! Looks like Devette is safer than a DE with guard or comb as mentioned by Gytis! :thumbup1: I could see the shave was really very close in the first pass itself. Then I lathered up for the second pass and did ATG (shivering inside). The result was phenomenal! The skin is absolutely BBS. I have never had this level of close shave in my entire life! Without the forum members encouragement, I never would have even thought of using this Devette. Now I think this is the very best razor I have. I was really lucky to find this in the bay. Thanks MJ and Gytis!

Coming to the Ketchup episode, I used that to clean the razor as the metal was brass and copper. I saw in one of the you tube videos about cleaning the old brass/copper coins by giving the Ketchup treatment. The razor was very blackish green due to tarnished brass and copper. I just kept the razor in a cup with 2 teaspoons of Ketchup and left it for 15 minutes. Then I used some boiling water to sterilize before using scrubbing bubbles and dawn soap. After this the razor looked like new!

I think I can now try the straight razors soon! :001_rolle May be I will get 3 to 4 weeks of experience with Devette before attempting the straight razors!

thanks guys!:001_smile

You welcome, my friend! I really am sure it is even more safe than regular DE. The reason is that it is in our blood not to harm ourselves and our own hands try to protect us unconsciously. The same works in all dangerous tasks we do. I have heard a story long time ago that says the highrise climbers usually use safety straps and other safety equipment. And they die because once in a time they just forget to fasten a belt or other kind of mistakes are made. There also are other akind of climbers that use nothing to protect themselves. And their death rate is much, much smaller. Because they are ALWAYS cautious as there is nothing behind them to save their lives....
Still your experience is somewhat sad, Venkart. I am sorry to dissapoint you, brother, but you will never find a better razor as this is the final, the best stop in razor journey. Straights are fine, and shavettes are fine too. But they are not anywhere as much ergonomic and flexible in use as devette is.
Wellcome to the club.

Still your experience is somewhat sad, Venkart. I am sorry to dissapoint you, brother, but you will never find a better razor as this is the final, the best stop in razor journey. Straights are fine, and shavettes are fine too. But they are not anywhere as much ergonomic and flexible in use as devette is.
Wellcome to the club.

I've never used a straight, but based on my limited experience with a shavette I have to agree with Gytis. The devette may be the greatest method of shaving ever.

In any event, congrats to Venkat on a successful devette debut. :biggrin:

Thanks Viseguy and Gytis! I never thought my journey will end like this. By sheer chance I end up with this Devette without knowing it is a Devette! As Gytis rightly said it is sad :mad3::angry: that my journey ended abruptly. The Muhle R41 is in the mail and I am expecting it by this week end. I have not even opened the box of Merkur 47C. I have a fat boy, slim boy and speed razor in my collection among couple of other open combs. Now I don't know what to do. May be I must concentrate on soaps shave oils etc.,:001_rolle Please let me know of any ideas to keep myself busy in the shaving world.

Last edited:
Thanks Viseguy and Gytis! I never thought my journey will end like this. By sheer chance I end up with this Devette without knowing it is a Devette! As Gytis rightly said it is sad :mad3::angry: that my journey ended abruptly. The Muhle R41 is in the mail and I am expecting it by this week end. I have not even opened the box of Merkur 47C. I have a fat boy, slim boy and speed razor in my collection among couple of other open combs. Now I don't know what to do. May be I must concentrate on soaps shave oils etc.,:001_rolle Please let me know of any ideas to keep myself busy in the shaving world.

No worry. There is a lot to do with technique, the soap and cream world is endless too. As for perfecting your technique I can only suggest to read carefully the Excalibur Club thread (the first most important thing to get there is that the idea has nothing to do with money, but has with technique). Finally it is your shave that matters, not razors you have, right? Or no? :blush: :)))

P.S. I also almost lost my interest in razors the first time I met Ms.Devette. The only thing that is interesting there is the curvature of a cap, as it makes some difference in devette shave as allows slightly different angles.

Last edited:
The two schools, Guardless and Excalibur, do combine into a highly accelerated course, I think. Don't burn out, man! I think the key may be to use the devette to break in your blade. I haven't yet attempted it, but I have pulled a Personna from the stone. In Guardless terms, I would summarize the experience as follows:

When a blade is sufficiently worn, the shallow angle and the steep angle are the same angle.

So today I find myself using devette skills in a shimless Razorock JAWS.

Some spots just require different angles for me. I use devette for some 6? months and still amazed that I have not mastered to cut myself yet... no single nick yet. Unbelievable. Except of my fingers, of course :lol:

Hi Gytis, When I clicked the excalibur club link, I am getting a message about 45 days wait period. Can you please let me know what exactly you mean by excalibur style or technique. How can I enroll in the excalibur club? Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hi Gytis, When I clicked the excalibur club link, I am getting a message about 45 days wait period. Can you please let me know what exactly you mean by excalibur style or technique. How can I enroll in the excalibur club? Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks for the help!

Strange, that it is not a secret club at all... Can you try to enter through list of clubs (third number in the list)? I sent a message to the moderator, I almost immediately (!) got an answer - he will check out and let us know.

Last edited:
Now I got this message! Now I am charged with additional 5 posts!:001_rolle

vBulletin Message

Venkat, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You must have 50 posts, and have been a member for 45 days to post in either the Buy/Sell/Trade or Review Sections. If you meet these requirements and are still unable to post, try logging out and logging back in again.
  2. If you've just registered your account, you might not have activated it. Check your email for the activation link. You must click this to activate your account and begin posting.
  3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  4. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Last edited:
venkat, your devette appears to be a Tech that was altered. Amazing find on eBay, of all places. Combs weren't cut off of it, safety bars were.

I'm amazed that you were bold enough to just go ahead and shave with it. Congrats on getting a great shave.

Hi Randall,
Thanks! As a matter of fact, I did not even know what a Devette is when I bid on this razor. The bidding did not include detailed pictures of the razor. Had it included clear pictures, I would have stayed away. I thought it as a vintage and bid and won. MjClark and Gytis encouraged me to try the razor. After seeing a you tube video and reading through several posts I have decided to take the challenge. I thought I must do something challenging in my life (at least in the area of shaving) and went ahead. I had some experience in DE shaving for 2~3 weeks and thought why don't I take up this. Worst I will have few cuts and lose few ounces of blood. I thought it is better to try and die than not trying and dying. I lathered up two times and took my time (15~20 minutes). It was a great experience. I never had this level of close shave in my entire life (I don't have that much of a life anyway :laugh:). I have planned a long journey in wet shaving. But unexpectedly this Devette has ended everything abruptly. Anyway, I encourage you to try at least once and post the results. Just a steady hand and 100% concentration on that steady hand will do the job with good prep work.

By the way do you know what is the fuzz about excalibur and excalibur club etc., I could not join the club or read any of the posts in the club. Looks like some sort of a elite shaving club :blink:. I would appreciate if you could throw some light on the excalibur thing.

Last edited:
Venkart, skypsyd will find out, no worry yet , I am sure you will read that. I dont want to spoil the idea, but will a little as that is no secret. The Club is dedicated to extending blades life by polishing your technique. The blades are not so dull as it is generally considered, some members (at least three that I know) have had more than 100 excellent shaves per blade with record of 128 shaves per blade made by bosseb. But the numbers are only metrics to evaluate quality of shave, no big value by themselves. All the members claim the quality of their shaves (and sure their shaving satisfaction) increase along with numbers.... We usually toss a blade because of our shaving mistakes, no blades fault. When we eliminate our mistakes, we get better shave.
I hope I have not spoiled much :)

And another magnificent shave from the devette tonight:
proxy.php

I've been having a lot of fun and pleasure shaving with some fierce 1930's bakelites and the R41 but tonight's shave has reminded me that the devette is off into the ultraviolet of the razor spectrum.

For sure the R41 and those bakelites shave a little bit smoother but in terms of efficiency and skin conditioning the devette outclasses everything and that big blade feel brings a different kind of pleasure.

For sure the R41 and those bakelites shave a little bit smoother but in terms of efficiency and skin conditioning the devette outclasses everything and that big blade feel brings a different kind of pleasure.

Ditto the ATT H1 and H2, but the devette can't be beaten for ultimate closeness with the least effort.

I have a vacation coming up, and obviously I'm going to be taking a devette, but the harder question is, should I be taking any other razor as well. Well, not so hard -- there's always room in the suitcase for another razor. :wink:

Hi Gytis, mjclark , Viseguy, p38thadl, kingfisher,

An update on the Devette! Today I got the R41 and wanted to try since I spent a good amount in the acquisition of this legendary razor. I used the same amount of lather with one difference. When I visited the barber shop for a haircut(which I have not yet ventured to do it myself) I was rambling about the shaving and requested suggestions for a good lathering soap. The barber suggested hair conditioner instead, to be used during shaving. I did not believe the concept completely and decided to give it a try. After lathering I added few drops of hair conditioner to the brush and lathered again. The conditioner added a bit of fragrance to the lather which I liked. Please note that I used the same Astra blade I used with the devette (it is the 7th shave with this blade!). Much to my surprise I got a very close shave like the same I had with the Devette!. I really don't know what I did right!! I still could not comprehend that the R41 gave me the exact close shave like the Devette which I used for the last 6 shaves! As a matter of fact I had almost lost interest in the razors like Gytis, after I hit on the Devette. However I wanted to give it a chance to the Muhele R41 as I have spent a good amount of money in getting it. Now I am a bit confused whether the whole shaving exercise depends on the technique rather on the razor. I am really baffled by this R41 results. Tomorrow, I am thinking of using this R41 with a brand new Astra or Feather to see the results. Best regards, I post below the picture of the R41 I got.$IMG_0092(1).jpg
$IMG_0091.jpg
$IMG_0090.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to add that there are no cuts, nicks or weepers on this shave. I think I have perfected the technique by some sort of miracle! :001_smile

Very nice R41, Venkart. It was my favorite before the devette. Actually my devette is the same R41, but with washer instead of base plate :)))) As for the technique and razor relation I can only say that without good technique any razor will not give any good result. On the contrary, when you master your technique, almost all razors are good to use, then the difference is about your subjective impression, not the quality of shave. I hope you had a chance to look at Excalibur club - these guys use different razors and get the same results all the time. Still I think the devette has few advantages that can not be beaten. First - no other razor can help you master your technique better, and, after you used devette, the results definitely improves with all other razors too and this can not be said about other razors. Main thing here is the devette does not allow wrong angles and wrong directions. The second point the devette is the champion - it is the sound of a blade. The sound is very good indicator during the shave (when you dont yet see the final result) on closeness you go after and sharpness of a used blade. Especially when blade is well worn.
I also wish to try my original setup of R41. But... not really, as I cant force myself to do this :lol: And - it is designed to use steep angle that is considered to shorten blades life. If you use shallow angle - that is my devette then. Me being a believer of Excalibur idea, steep angle goes against my "religion", though I use it in some places anyway :laugh: Today had shave no.30 (the last one for the vintage Rubie blade), new record of mine.

Last edited:
Thanks Gytis! The R41 is very nice indeed! I could not browse through the Excalibur club as I am not yet qualified to enter. Looks like I have to post 50 entries or complete 45 days in the club. I really couldn't comprehend the reason or rationale behind this requirement. I would greatly appreciate if you could enlighten me on the requirements criteria for seeing the posts atleast in Excalibur! :laugh:. I definitely agree with you with the sound of the blade, when using the Devette and I felt the sound very much! However, I really could not feel the same sound of the blade when I shaved with R41. Probably I had not paid close attention. I will check this tomorrow. Still, barring the sound parameter, how did I get the exact same close shave with R41 is a bit mind baffling. I was almost convinced that Devette is the ultimate experience. I can say one thing for sure. Since I used the Devette for the last few shaves, I was not scared a bit using the R41. However, I was equally alert in using R41 and gave the exact same respect to the R41 razor and used caution during the strokes. I still don't know whether few drops of the hair conditioner had any effect in the overall experience. I will try again tomorrow and post the results. I think the goal of 50 posts can be reached sooner if I post more often and the chances of my visiting the Excalibur club improves significantly. Thanks again for the responses and to this great forum!

Last edited:
Top Bottom