What's new

Gillette Aristocrat Disassembly

I have no idea how one would remove the gold so evenly and leave just nickel. I've got one that's half worn off everywhere. :001_huh:
im thinking some kind of chemical, then they realized and stopped at the head area to prevent further damage....

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have no idea how one would remove the gold so evenly and leave just nickel. I've got one that's half worn off everywhere. :001_huh:
It can be done; I had a Schick K1 that was pitted on the back side. The gold came off easily with Simichrome revealing the harder nickel underneath. Somebody probably wanted to polish the gold and quit after ruining the handle. That's why it is advisable to not use metal polish on any gold razor; Gillette NEWs, etc.

Last edited:
After reading all of the replies from you knowledgeable gentlemen, I took a look at the handle AND TTO and it's spotless. There are no traces of gold plating or laquer whatsoever. The inside of the TTO knob IS gold plated however so I suspect someone just rubbed this puppy down.
A serious rub down at that:laugh:

Wow, this thread has started on very interesting notes. I too tend to think that someone started polishing it and noticed that the gold was coming off - then they just removed the gold from the handle evenly and stopped there.

Definitely a unique specimen though.

Here is the second aristocrat:
$100_3612.jpg$100_3613.jpg$100_3614.jpg$100_3615.jpg

Wow, this thread has started on very interesting notes. I too tend to think that someone started polishing it and noticed that the gold was coming off - then they just removed the gold from the handle evenly and stopped there.

Definitely a unique specimen though.
That or a handle switch....

I might be wrong, but the second "Aristocrat" looks like it might be a Regent Tech. No "PAT NOS on PACKAGE" in blade tray.

Last edited:
Do you Gentlemen think that someone swapped the handle and TTO knob on that first Aristocrat like Alex said? It seems like the top is from a 46-47 Aristocrat as it has "PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE" in the blade tray and the lower is from a Regent? But this is interesting, didn't the 46-47 Aristocrats have endcaps? Ol' CAP is straight up confused.

didn't the 46-47 Aristocrats have endcaps? Ol' CAP is straight up confused.

That's why I said it's a '41, and I still think it's a '41 Aristocrat head.

It's perfectly possible that someone swapped the handle, you even said that the razor shows signs of having been disassembled before. Regent and '41 Aristocrats don't have the nickel layer under the gold.

Just my opinion, Cap ... :thumbup1:

Could have come from the factory during the cross over fron the 41 modle to the 46-47 models mabey or it could be a frankinrazor

Last edited:
That's why I said it's a '41, and I still think it's a '41 Aristocrat head.

It's perfectly possible that someone swapped the handle, you even said that the razor shows signs of having been disassembled before. Regent and '41 Aristocrats don't have the nickel layer under the gold.

Just my opinion, Cap ... :thumbup1:
:lol: and I have referred to your opinion many times, Edgar!

I did a thorough cleanup and polish on both Aristocrats before I reassembled them. Here is the first one, ready for a shave or some fresh plating:
$100_3670.jpg$100_3671.jpg$100_3672.jpg

Top Bottom