What's new

Blades similar to GSB?

I really like Gillette Silver Blue blades, they give me a nice shave, and I usually got next to no irritation using them with my EJ DE89. The only thing is that the first pass is usually a little bit rough. I was curious if there are blades that shave similar to the GSB blades but a little bit smoother?

Obvious it's all personal preference when it comes to blades, but was curious if any blades shave similar to a GSB that I could try. Thanks in advance.

For me the closest has been the Gillette 7 O'Clock (Blue) Super Platinum from Russia. I am sure I couldn't tell a difference in a blind test although I still feel the 7 O'Clocks are a tad sharper. I also tend to toss blades after 3 shaves but I decided to see how far I could push these Super Platinums and they lasted a good 6 shaves for me without tugging. However, they're not available in the West anymore and the GSB are good enough substitutes for me. But if the others come up at a reasonable price, I would probably buy one or two hundred of them. I like lots of blades from Astras to Sharks to Rapiras but none seem to feel as sharp and smooth as the GSB/Blue 7 O'Clocks.

Rapira Lux
Personna Israeli Reds

At least, that's the way it is for me. I've learned that the razor you use and the amount of pressure you use are just as important as the blade - maybe more important. If you're using a mild razor, quite a few blades start feeling smooth; if you're using something more aggressive, other blades feel better.

What's your razor?

You might consider Gillette 7 o'clock Black blades. Amazingly smooth for me, and one of the best blades all around in my razors. You might also try Gillette Platinum blades. They resemble the Silver Blue box, but darker. I'm sure someone has a picture for you. Sadly, I do not. Best of luck to you!

You might consider Gillette 7 o'clock Black blades. Amazingly smooth for me, and one of the best blades all around in my razors. You might also try Gillette Platinum blades. They resemble the Silver Blue box, but darker. I'm sure someone has a picture for you. Sadly, I do not. Best of luck to you!

+1 Gillette 7 o clock super platinum (Indian blacks).

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418969428.704807.jpg

You might consider Gillette 7 o'clock Black blades. Amazingly smooth for me, and one of the best blades all around in my razors. You might also try Gillette Platinum blades.
I can second this.

Additionally (at least with my stubbles and my razors), the biggest difference is that the blacks last considerably longer. This, in spite of their relatively high price for us outside India maybe makes them the most economical blade in my blade stash.

+1.

Gillette 7 O'clock Black
Perma-Sharp Super
Sputnik
Polsilver SI
Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep

All the above are sharp and smooth, although depending on skin and beard type you might prefer one over the other.

Top Bottom