What's new

Guys, help. I think I have a problem now

The cure is finding the right one that leaves you disappointed in all others you try. Once I bought the ATT Kronos razor it ended my desire to buy any other de razors.

The cure is finding the right one that leaves you disappointed in all others you try. Once I bought the ATT Kronos razor it ended my desire to buy any other de razors.

That might be true for those hunting for the perfect shave. I get a great shave from most of the razors I have. A few are definitely better but I also like how they look in a display case. I have most of the razors I want now so I have slowed way down as well. I pick up 1-2 a month. I even have sold off a few. It does get easier. Ha.

And, the first of them has arrived! It's the 1958 "TV Special" Super Speed, in even better condition than I expected. I'm almost embarrassed by how excited I am to be actually handling it in person. Can't wait to shave with it tomorrow morning.

$IMG_4425.jpg

The replated NEW short-comb should be arriving next.

A problem? No idea what you're talking about. BTW - you can't really say you're familiar with Superspeeds until you get a couple or three 40s-style, including a black tip. And did I miss it, or have you neglected slants altogether?

And, the first of them has arrived! It's the 1958 "TV Special" Super Speed, in even better condition than I expected. I'm almost embarrassed by how excited I am to be actually handling it in person. Can't wait to shave with it tomorrow morning.

View attachment 531822

The replated NEW short-comb should be arriving next.

David, don't sweat it, that excitement and anticipation is what it's all about. Some guys dread their morning shave, we get to look forward to it.

So I pulled the trigger on a 1959 Fatboy this afternoon as well. Decent price (given what they're going for now) and in what seems to be very good condition. What feels decadent about it isn't the spending (none of these are SO expensive) but getting so many all at once, basically! But the urge to try all the major models kicked in -- and there the listings were... and the shine... and the knurling... and the mechanisms... pretty...

Ahem. Sorry. Back now. Where was I?

I haven't even used the Super Speed yet but I really had no idea it would be so nice in person. It arrived at the office and I showed it to various coworkers, and they were all really impressed. I think for my generation and younger it's a revelation that these beautiful implements were once commonplace. The "cool" factor is definitely not limited to the already-converted.

Now my main concerns are where am I going to put all these and how am I going to manage to focus on still mastering my technique (I'm just two months in, mind you!) without also just trying them all right away. There's been nothing wrong with my Merkur HD! And yet... and yet... :)

Oh and I'm definitely aware of slants. Just ... need to have something to work toward, right?

Last edited:
So I pulled the trigger on a 1959 Fatboy this afternoon as well. Decent price (given what they're going for now) and in what seems to be very good condition. What feels decadent about it isn't the spending (none of these are SO expensive) but getting so many all at once, basically! But the urge to try all the major models kicked in -- and there the listings were... and the shine... and the knurling... and the mechanisms... pretty...

Ahem. Sorry. Back now. Where was I?

I haven't even used the Super Speed yet but I really had no idea it would be so nice in person. It arrived at the office and I showed it to various coworkers, and they were all really impressed. I think for my generation and younger it's a revelation that these beautiful implements were once commonplace. The "cool" factor is definitely not limited to the already-converted.

Now my main concerns are where am I going to put all these and how am I going to manage to focus on still mastering my technique (I'm just two months in, mind you!) without also just trying them all right away. There's been nothing wrong with my Merkur HD! And yet... and yet... :)

Oh and I'm definitely aware of slants. Just ... need to have something to work toward, right?

You're off to a good start. And you're right, people do seem to notice that there's a little something about a vintage razor. They're little marvels of mechanical engineering that were once ubiquitous. To think, you could just walk into a drug store, for instance, plunk down $1.95 and walk out with a brandy-new Fat Boy. Granted, the $1.95 in 1960 was probably close to $20 in today's money, but still a steal. But, I was only five years old at the time and didn't have $1.95.

And unfortunately that same affordability made sure that the vast majority of them were trashed long before their time. The average model 195 was probably thrown over for a Slim after four or five years and relegated to the back of a drawer to be tossed 20 or 30 years later as "that old thing".

Just wanted to add another update: had my first shave with the 1958 Super Speed this morning, which is also my first shave with a vintage Gillette of course. It went pretty well, but coming from the Merkur 34C (and the Weber PH, which I've used a bit), I'd already adapted to something a bit more aggressive. I'm not sure a mild razor like this Super Speed is really my, er, speed! I was using an Astra SP in this case, so maybe an even sharper blade would be interesting. But if nothing else, it's good to experience a milder razor like this. And some of it, too, could easily have been that I hadn't learned the angle on this one yet. Still, lots of fun!

Just wanted to add another update: had my first shave with the 1958 Super Speed this morning, which is also my first shave with a vintage Gillette of course. It went pretty well, but coming from the Merkur 34C (and the Weber PH, which I've used a bit), I'd already adapted to something a bit more aggressive. I'm not sure a mild razor like this Super Speed is really my, er, speed! I was using an Astra SP in this case, so maybe an even sharper blade would be interesting. But if nothing else, it's good to experience a milder razor like this. And some of it, too, could easily have been that I hadn't learned the angle on this one yet. Still, lots of fun!
i got a 56 ss in the mail yesterday and shaved my head with it last night, i too like the agressive razors but the way it glided across my head the pickyness of the blade angle, i just know that its my new go to razor if i give myself a bad shave rushing through my agressive shave. i used to use the tech but never did like it, now it can retire it as this tto just stole his job.

Just a suggestion, I find that a super sharp blade makes the Super Speed really "Super", it just makes it smoother and quicker. More hair cut per pass and if you mind the angle and pressure it returns awesome performance. If it still is too mild you can shim it or you can step up to the Red Tip Super Speed. But in my opinion the regular Super Speed outperforms the Red Tip when your technique is good.

but I do love the Red Tip also when I want a quick two pass shave.

But The ultimate shave from vintage TTO Gillettes comes from the Late 40's Aristocrat. It's awesome!

Just a suggestion, I find that a super sharp blade makes the Super Speed really "Super", it just makes it smoother and quicker. More hair cut per pass and if you mind the angle and pressure it returns awesome performance. If it still is too mild you can shim it or you can step up to the Red Tip Super Speed. But in my opinion the regular Super Speed outperforms the Red Tip when your technique is good.

Based on this idea, this morning I put a Feather in the Super Speed to see whether the combination felt more efficient. I think it did to some extent, but overall it still felt milder than an Astra in my Merkur HD. This was also my first time using a Feather, and I must say, it was nowhere near as scary as all that. Felt fine, in fact. I did create a few nicks around my lip and chin, but they were totally my fault; I was getting a bit too enthusiastic there.

I'll need to come back to this Super Speed in several months after I've really got my fundamentals down. For now, it's a bit too mild. But on to more practice and the four other vintage Gillettes yet to arrive!

Top Bottom