What's new

Other types of pens that can use bottled inks?

I had a quick love tryst with fountain pens - especially the bottled inks. But then they seemed too impractical for work, and I just don't write that much at home. Are there other types of pens that can use bottled inks? Or do I just need to keep on the hunt for a reliable, non-finicky (yet affordable) FP...?

I had a quick love tryst with fountain pens - especially the bottled inks. But then they seemed too impractical for work, and I just don't write that much at home. Are there other types of pens that can use bottled inks? Or do I just need to keep on the hunt for a reliable, non-finicky (yet affordable) FP...?

J. Herbin makes a rollerball pen that takes international short ink cartridges and a certain type of converter (I can't remember off hand, a mini rosetta I believe). I picked mine up on eBay through a very reliable seller for under $10. It's a very smooth, slightly wet writer that I use daily. If you don't use it regularly, it seems to gum up a bit, so keep that in mind. Its a small-ish pen, but posts to a very nice size. I have a clear one, but I've seen some videos of a black one that seems to look nice as well, though I have yet to see where they sell it. I also have a Kaweco that's the same setup, using international short cartridges and looks identical to their fountain Sport fountain pens. They run about $12 on eBay from another reliable seller. I'm guessing that since they use the same international short cartriges as the Kaweco fountain pens, they'll probably take the Kaweco Sport converter, and maybe even the rosetta mini converter. I have two of them. They seem to be a little more finicky about ink. One is smooth as silk with some Diamine ink, while the other skips on occassion with J. Herbin ink. Noodlers makes a similar pen that seems to get some very middling reviews, but I haven't use it, so I can't say for sure.

What model do you have now. I have a waterman and it writes every day/time i pick it up, im retired so dont use it much. Just another rabbit hole for me.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

I used to keep two bottles of ink in my desk. This was back in the days when I had two pens and two inks. Levenger Cobalt Blue and Levenger Raven Black, Lamy Al Star and a Waterman Phileas.

Speaking of Levenger.. They have a rollerball that takes bottled inks.

There's also the Monteverde "One Touch Engage" rollerball that takes bottled ink. Not making any recommendation for or against it, just mentioning it. It comes in different versions.

Whether a fountain pen is practical for work depends on the job. Almost all of my work is indoors in a fairly calm environment, and I rarely use anything but fountain pens. I do sometimes have to write outside in bad conditions, or at odd angles, so I carry a Fisher Space pen too, but a good fountain pen is not really all that finicky once you get used to it. I do write quite a bit at home, too, so I've become quite comfortable with them.

I have a Lamy that is not used every day.

It always starts instantly.

It uses a pump or cartridges.

I use and reuse a cartridge that I refill with an inexpensive syringe that was designed for dispensing oil.

What model do you have now. I have a waterman and it writes every day/time i pick it up, im retired so dont use it much. Just another rabbit hole for me.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

All I have right now is Sheaffer No Nonsense - Italic Fine nib. Fun for really seeing the inks, and writing cards & such, but too wide for work. I've briefly experienced a few other cheapo's such as Preppy and Varsity. Had a TWSBI I regret letting go of. Never tried Waterman, Lamy, Sailor, Kaweco, or any of the pricier classics.

There's also the Monteverde "One Touch Engage" rollerball that takes bottled ink. Not making any recommendation for or against it, just mentioning it. It comes in different versions.

Whether a fountain pen is practical for work depends on the job. Almost all of my work is indoors in a fairly calm environment, and I rarely use anything but fountain pens. I do sometimes have to write outside in bad conditions, or at odd angles, so I carry a Fisher Space pen too, but a good fountain pen is not really all that finicky once you get used to it. I do write quite a bit at home, too, so I've become quite comfortable with them.

My work is always at a desk, so I guess practical just means able to quickly grab & write, write small and legibly with out consideration of paper quality. Sometimes the twist-cap was just annoying when you have a call and need to jot something down.

I have a Lamy that is not used every day.

It always starts instantly.

It uses a pump or cartridges.

I use and reuse a cartridge that I refill with an inexpensive syringe that was designed for dispensing oil.

I avoided Lamy at first because I had it in my mind that I only wanted to go the eyedropper route (partly out of ignorance on how to use the other options), and I was unsure about the grip. But their availability of nibs and colors does speak to me...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I frequently use a Lamy Al Star at work with Noodler's Bombproof black ink and the only real problem is forgetting to refill or top off the converter so that I don't run out of ink. But using a fountain pen is not that troublesome once you get used to it and know a given pens intricacies.

My work is always at a desk, so I guess practical just means able to quickly grab & write, write small and legibly with out consideration of paper quality. Sometimes the twist-cap was just annoying when you have a call and need to jot something down.

Well, there is one good click type fountain pen which meets those criteria, the Pilot Vanishing Point, with the fine nib probably the most practical for that kind of writing. It's in a price range that doesn't meet everybody's idea of affordable, though; even if you get one with an alloy nib from a Japanese eBay dealer, you're still probably talking about $100 when you include shipping. They start at around $140 with gold nibs from most US dealers. And some people don't care for the pocket clip down at the "wrong end" of the pen.

Some fountain pens have good slip caps, and you can get in the habit of capping and uncapping very quickly. A Lamy 2000 would be a high end example, or a vintage Parker 51. Vintage Parker 45s are often very affordable. Just don't forget to cap the pen when you aren't using it, and don't mislay the cap.

You may well be happier just with a good gel pen, if you don't mind forgoing the wide range of ink colors. But if you ask around here, we'll try to talk you into fountain pens. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I believe the B&B FC Essential pen can be bought as/with a roller ball option that uses bottled ink.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I believe the B&B FC Essential pen can be bought as/with a roller ball option that uses bottled ink.

I was just going to suggest this. I have the roller ball in the pen now. Not with the converter, just the ink tube, but it writes exceptionally well.

They have "seconds" models currently in The Stock Room if you want to try one ... I might do that myself, but I would want to see if it uses the refillable rollerball section first.

Last edited:
I have pretty small hand writing and write mostly on printer paper (USAF, so probably Wal Mart quality too) and I almost exclusively use a fountain pen. I have a Lamy Safari that writes every time, but the fine nib is a little to fat for my tastes. I've found that a Japanese fine is perfect for my writing. To put things in perspective, I comfortably write on college rule paper and can write 2 lines to a space on it if I'm saving space (college notes come to mind). I've found my favorite pen so far is a Sheaffer Snorkel, followed by a Parker 51. I snagged my snorkel for around $40 on ebay and thought it was well worth it. I think I paid $5 more for my 51, but it needs to be sent off for restoration. The sheaffer is beautiful, writes smooth enough on cheap paper, puts down a fine line, starts every time, flies well when full and the twist cap seems to be a quarter or half twist, so it's almost not noticeable.

For a good, cheap option, the Hero 616 is worth a try. It's a cheap Chinese clone of a Parker 51 and mine writes fairly well. It's a bit wet, so the line is a little broad, and the nib is a bit scratchy, but it's not bad at all. It also starts every time.

I'll mention it because it's cheap and I've enjoyed it, not because it fits your needs, but the Noodler's Ahab is worth a look if you have $20 to blow. It's everything the reviews say, in my experience. It works well when it's dialed in and it's terribly troublesome when it's not. It also dries out pretty fast, so it's not one to leave laying around with the cap off, and it doesn't like to start when it's been sitting for a while. It does lay down a nice, fine line when you use a light touch, and has nice line variation when you use a little pressure. I bought mine as a $20 toy, and that's just what it is. I found the sweet spot on my pen for nib/feed placement and it writes well. Others will tell you one of the devil's minions created it, and that could also be true. Again, not good for your application, but it's a cool $20 fountain pen toy. Buy a bottle of Noodler's Apache Sunset with it and you'll really enjoy the flex, but you'll also have a very impractical pen and ink combo for work purposes.

+1 If I am using a non-fountain pen with bottled ink this is my choice. I didn't like the other brands of rollerballs that I tried. I mostly use a fountain pens at work. This week I used a waterman cerene but I use everything from a cheap ebay pen to a montblanc einstein.

+1 If I am using a non-fountain pen with bottled ink this is my choice. I didn't like the other brands of rollerballs that I tried. I mostly use a fountain pens at work. This week I used a waterman cerene but I use everything from a cheap ebay pen to a montblanc einstein.

Which "this" are you +1'ing?

Top Bottom