What's new

Gillette Fat Boy - No "Clicks" When Adjusting

I just purchased my first Gillette Fat Boy razor. I'm not familiar with its mechanics. For adjustment, I was expecting nine audible or tactile "clicks" when turning the adjustment dial. My razor, however, does not have any "clicks" while turning the dial. It has what I would describe as continuous adjustment. Shouldn't I be hearing or feeling clicks? I would expect there to be a spring that indexes detents in or along the dial, but I'm not seeing anything like that. Is my razor defective?

Last edited:
I just purchased my first Gillette Fat Boy razor. I'm not familiar with its mechanics. For adjustment, I was expecting nine audible or tactile "clicks" when turning the adjustment dial. My razor, however, does not have any "clicks" while turning the dial. It has what I would describe as continuous adjustment. Shouldn't I been hearing or feeling clicks? I would expect there to be a spring that indexes detents in the dial, but I'm not seeing anything like that. Is my razor defective?
Try this link from B&B http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/318530-Fatboy-Adjustment-Dial-Not-Clicking

Thanks... I appreciate your replies.

My razor has been replated, and I suspect the spring that is associated with the adjustment knob was lost or broken. The knob turns smoothly without much resistance. It does not stop at the 1 or 9 positions. I don't see any kind of spring in the little slot. See the photo.

Attachments

• $Gillette Fat Boy Adjustment Knob.jpg
    $Gillette Fat Boy Adjustment Knob.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 139
I'd have a little chat with the seller first thing.

Yeah, I think that's the best thing to do. I've sent the seller an email to inquire about returning the razor. Under his "returns policy," that should not be an issue.

I would have a BIG chat instead, i mean really.

Is it just me, or does anyone else question that the razor has been replated? I know that a good replate is hard to spot, but if they forgot to replace the spring after the job, I would question their practices. I wonder if they just used the word "replate" for the buzz factor.

To me, the picture looks like a used, worn Fatboy with original nickel plating

Do you have any additional pictures of the razor?

I am anxious to see how this one pans out.

Is it just me, or does anyone else question that the razor has been replated? I know that a good replate is hard to spot, but if they forgot to replace the spring after the job, I would question their practices. I wonder if they just used the word "replate" for the buzz factor.

To me, the picture looks like a used, worn Fatboy with original nickel plating

Do you have any additional pictures of the razor?

I am anxious to see how this one pans out.

The seller is, I think, reputable. I have no reason to doubt his representations. It's my belief, until I learn differently, that this razor simply slipped through whatever QC process he has before he shipped it to me. I've contacted him and will wait for him to respond and give him a chance to make this right.

Update... I successfully contacted the seller. He has agreed to refund the purchase price once he receives the defective razor back from me. I think this is being resolved appropriately.

Top Bottom