What's new

Does anybody know the knot dimensions of a Omega 49 boar

Just wondering if anybody knows the knot dimensions of an Omega 49 knot out of the brush.
I need a big knot for a handle Im doing up. Eventually I'm going to put an order in with TGN but funds are tight at the moment and a 49 brush is cheap.
having searched online and not finding anything I thought the best place to ask was here.
So if anybody knows the dimensions of the knot, either in the plastic sleeve and without it.

Cheers

is that one bigger than the 48? I have the bigger one but I couldn't tell you the dimensions. Really effing big if that helps :-/

is that one bigger than the 48? I have the bigger one but I couldn't tell you the dimensions. Really effing big if that helps :-/

Hmm you got me there, not sure if its bigger. Haha I know its big, just need to know the size at the base of the knot out of the handle, a long shot maybe.

thank you. I was just curious if any one would have the size with the plastic sleeve taken off the knot, must be a few mill.
Also curious to whether that would mean the knot measure 27mm out of the handle?

I set a 49 knot into a Rubberset 400. IIRC, once removed from the black plastic collar it was 26mm. The epoxy portion of the knot has a bit of an hour-glass shape which I then dremel'd down to 25mm losing a few bristles in the process.

I set a 49 knot into a Rubberset 400. IIRC, once removed from the black plastic collar it was 26mm. The epoxy portion of the knot has a bit of an hour-glass shape which I then dremel'd down to 25mm losing a few bristles in the process.

YOU LEGEND! :a50::a50::a50:

That will work out perfect. Thanks for that, I will buy that brush now and steal the knot from the handle.

Thats crazy cheap! Thanks for the link, I've just ordered it now. Cant wait to steam that knot out.

No bother, I don't know if it will be any help but there is a very easy way to get the knots out of the plastic handles:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419770381.896878.jpg

Drill a nice hole into the bottom then the knot can be knocked out using a screwdriver of similar tool, saves a lot of messing about and only takes a min.

Hope you don't mind [emoji4]

Did not know that. It came out pretty easy then, will give that a try.
What handle did you use for the knot?

Did not know that. It came out pretty easy then, will give that a try.
What handle did you use for the knot?

I think I saved that picture for future reference from a thread on here, basically saying this was an easy way to do it. I think they are a push cut and not glued in.

I've just been using my Omega as is.

The brush arrived this morning, that was about 2 weeks quicker than I thought it would as I ordered between christmas and new year.
As Boaz said, the knot isn't glued in, so as shown I drilled the bottom of the handle and popped it out.
With the knot out and in the plastic holder it had a width of 31mm.
$image.jpg
The hole in the handle was 27mm. I thought about sanding the cup but I decided to cut the knot out instead. I wish O had opted for the sanding as the glue at the base of the knot was more concaved than I thought.
$image.jpg

At the thinest part of the glue it measure 23.81mm and at the widest its 27mm. Looks like I made a boo boo.
$image.jpg$image.jpg
On the original knot it came with a plastic ring which sat perfectly in the handle so I drilled that off which hopefully will solve my problem.

Last edited:
I didnt mean to add that last pic, now it wont delete. Heres the one I meant to show the original knot and the plastic insert.
$image.jpg

That is good service from that site. Will the knot work ok now?

I did get it set eventually. It was a hassle in the end, I should have been patient and order from TGN, everydays a school day eh.
I ended up breaking the plastic holder so I had to get creative, inside the handle I set two 10p coins and some cork. The knot had to sit in my asthma inhaler pump lid, it fitted perfectly and wedged into the handle. Having to cram epoxy in to fill some void around the knot, well I went ott and it has seeped above the handle. It looks crap but works a treat. Its only a cheap handle that I wanted to restore for sentimental reasons. It works a treat though!

I shouldn't be laughing but it sounds like you had a bit of a job!

At least you got it sorted and can use it, and as you say has a nice bit of sentiment. Roll on the next one [emoji106]

Top Bottom