What's new

Arko Stick

My Arko stick arrived yesterday, I and used it for the first time this morning. Its scent is fairly disgusting in a rather lavatorial sort of way, but I reckon I can get used to it. However, it performed supremely well, and I enjoyed a wonderful shave. We have very hard water here, and I was astonished how well it lathered. Its only fault was that it was a tad too fat for vintage shaving stick cases. Its diameter is supposd to be 3.3 cms, but I reckon it is more than that.

Arko is great stuff. Some guys here struggle with the scent early on, but it grows on you. Performance is bulletproof. Glad you have some. Enjoy!

Arko is a pretty polarizing product here. Most can agree that the performance is unmatched for the price of a stick - it's just the smell that steers people away. I know some folks here have figured out ways to add essential oils or certain aftershaves to their Arko when they grate it or mash it into a tub, so this might be an option for you. Luckily for me it eventually grew on me and I just slap on some Fine American Blend aftershave so the smell doesn't linger too long. What does linger is the excellent shave!

Glad you gave it a shot!

I think I shall only use shaving sticks for travelling, as that is what they were designed for. They are definitely quirky and eccentric, which is probably part of their appeal. I am going to try to keep away from the cheese grater, as my wife might be tempted to have me sent to "the funny farm"!

I've been using Arko for a little over a month, and I'm really enjoying it. Lathers nice, can't be the price, and I really don't mind the scent. In fact....I actually like it. I mashed my stick into my Old Spice shave mug and before I get into the shower I add some hot water to the mug. I find it makes the scent that much better.

Sorry, but I don't understand why some members turn their sticks into pucks and their pucks into sticks! It is very odd. If you grate soap into a bowl, do you then stick it in the microwave? I have to say, I am becoming curious.

I whittle my pucks.

$6aa837d84289cc9ce073ef518c752bd7.jpg

My Arko stick arrived yesterday, I and used it for the first time this morning. Its scent is fairly disgusting in a rather lavatorial sort of way, but I reckon I can get used to it. However, it performed supremely well, and I enjoyed a wonderful shave. We have very hard water here, and I was astonished how well it lathered. Its only fault was that it was a tad too fat for vintage shaving stick cases. Its diameter is supposd to be 3.3 cms, but I reckon it is more than that.
The vintage soap stick containers also vary in size as do the soaps.
I have an older Colgate container, and the ARKO stick fits the diameter fine, but I did trim a little off the length.
If you have a smaller diameter container, most likely the Speick Stick will fit.

The vintage soap stick containers also vary in size as do the soaps.
I have an older Colgate container, and the ARKO stick fits the diameter fine, but I did trim a little off the length.
If you have a smaller diameter container, most likely the Speick Stick will fit.

I used the twist up container from West Coast Shaving and it fits perfectly

Arko is great stuff. Some guys here struggle with the scent early on, but it grows on you. Performance is bulletproof. Glad you have some. Enjoy!

Can't say it grew on this shaver. 😷
Still off-putting after all those years...

The best I can say is that the smell from an Arko stick abates over time.

If someone can get a Palmolive stick for a similar price (about 0.74 Euro ($0.91) in Europe, $4 when imported into the US) he should try.
Excellent performance without the offensive smell.

Sometimes you got the envy the Europeans....

B.

Last edited:
My Arko stick arrived yesterday, I and used it for the first time this morning. Its scent is fairly disgusting in a rather lavatorial sort of way, but I reckon I can get used to it.

I highly recommend that you leave it out with the top unwrapped for a few days, I found the scent lessens over time.

I used the twist up container from West Coast Shaving and it fits perfectly

+1. Love those twist up sticks.

Yeeeaaaahh... Arko's weird. I don't mind the scent at all, but it's just baffling that they don't offer any options. Then again, I think that a part of its charm is that they're so popular w/ such a stripped down product. How many soaps out there make you stop and think "but damn, it's so cheap!" The way that Arko does?

Every time I get a good shave with it I look straight at the smiling dude on the label and say "you bastards got me again."

And then I put on something that actually smells like something that humans wish to smell like.

+1. Love those twist up sticks.

Yeeeaaaahh... Arko's weird. I don't mind the scent at all, but it's just baffling that they don't offer any options. Then again, I think that a part of its charm is that they're so popular w/ such a stripped down product. How many soaps out there make you stop and think "but damn, it's so cheap!" The way that Arko does?

Every time I get a good shave with it I look straight at the smiling dude on the label and say "KIRKO got me again."

And then I put on something that actually smells like something that humans wish to smell like.

FTFY.
Kirko. His name is Kirko.

I have found that Murray and Lanman Orange Blossom, after applying as after shave, smells like a mellowed out Arko stick.

Top Bottom