What's new

Why are shaving bowls so expensive?

Theyre not much different from other bowls apart from ridges in the bottom....so why the crazy prices. Ive seen a normal porcelain bowl for under 5 bucks yet shaving bowls for 35 bucks....what gives?

People buy them regardless of the cost, pure and simple. Go to the local discount store and get something like an imitation stone salsa bowl for a couple of bucks and lather away.

Most of them are hand-made, so that adds tremendously to the cost factor.

And many are custom-made, which increases the price even more.

Theyre not much different from other bowls apart from ridges in the bottom....so why the crazy prices. Ive seen a normal porcelain bowl for under 5 bucks yet shaving bowls for 35 bucks....what gives?
If you are talking about a pottery scuttle which is a hand painted hand-thrown bowl within another Hand painted hand-thrown bowl, like a "Moss" or Georgetown pottery scuttle, I can accept the $60 pricing for a large one. It's really great. And "seconds" are about half price. Well built hot lather for three passes is not to be sneezed at:001_huh:

but a simple, mass produced plastic or metal bowl surely can't be worth much just for being ridged.

Last edited:
Actually the amount of work that goes into a scuttle for example (Two fired parts, plus handle) take quality work by the potter. My G20 is a good example of that. I would not sell or trade it.

My 6" wide shaving bowl in lavender/red, hand-made but not advertised as a shaving bowl, was sixteen bucks from Utilemud, on eBay. Ridges on the bottom. Glazed interior, matte exterior. You can catch a glimpse in my avatar pic. I bowl-shave every day, and I'm super-picky, so I feel the price I paid was fine. Perfect size. Love the vibrant colors.

Why are shaving bowls so expensive?

Who cares? With a stubbly face, you have the ideal surface for generating lather. So no bowl is required for a spectacular shave.

Mass produced in a cheap-labor foreign country with a broad sales market versus handmade in the US in very low quantities for a very specific target market.

Get $1 salsa bowls at dollar store or WalMart. My lather bowl is a sugar bowl from thrift store. Cost me all of 62 cents. Get an Old Spice mug. Perfect size, classic style and $10-15.

Who cares? With a stubbly face, you have the ideal surface for generating lather. So no bowl is required for a spectacular shave.
It can change the order in which soap, water and air are incorporated. So to try the Marco method with Arko, I'm not going to bother mashing a stick. I'll rub the stick on the braille-like decoration inside my Turkish handmade (TJMaxx, $7?) ceramic bowl, then carefully melt it in a small amount of water without lathering it, and only in the end, whip it.

It's hit-and-miss which soaps like to be hydrated first. I'm sure with Arko, it'll be like Kiss My Face, just threatening it with a brush will generate lather either way. But the KMF lather was less sticky and amazingly fragrant. Its a quality issue related to skin sensitivity for me.

I think 35 bucks is an amazing value for anything hand thrown, let alone the GP Moss type scuttles
Bear in mind that there are no 'antique' moss scuttles as the concept of making warm lather from cream is relatively new.

But then you get the things that are just an old regular bowl, but it's a 'shaving bowl'. If you buy one with a company logo it's 35 bucks, but an identical one at a regular store is 35 cents.

Top Bottom