What's new

Why are shaving bowls so expensive?

It's not in the materials. You can get 50 pounds of clay around the $20.00 mark. That's a lot of shaving bowls. Glaze by the pint isn't very expensive and would cover a lot of bowls. Unless the potter has their own kiln, firing the bowl is probably the greatest expense in producing a finished bowl. I did a quick search to get an idea of cost and found a place that would charge $5.90 to fire a simple bowl measuring 4-1/2" wide and 2" high.

The way I see it is people are charging so much for hand made shaving bowls because they are somewhat labor intensive. They have to form the bowl on a wheel, let it dry-not too fast, they glaze it and let it dry and then they have to fire it. Granted, a lot of that is down time but it takes days if not a week or more to produce a finished bowl. **The primary reason they cost so much is that potters like to make money and they seem to be able to find people who are willing to pay the premium (inflated) price.**

**The primary reason they cost so much is that potters like to make money and they seem to be able to find people who are willing to pay the premium (inflated) price.**
They are business owners in business to make a profit, yes?

Inflated price? The amount of kvetching in this thread over a $35 item is unbelievable.

Sure he does but does it match his bathroom decor ?

You're kidding yourself if you think most of the shuttles out there match the bathroom either. My $5 bowl from homegoods, but it was a compromise with SWMBO. You can shop for a $0.99 that matches pretty easily to be honest.

They are business owners in business to make a profit, yes?

Inflated price? The amount of kvetching in this thread over a $35 item is unbelievable.

I don't know that it's kvetching as much as it is incredulity. A $35.00 shave bowl turns into a $40+ shave bowl when you account for shipping. I have no problems with capitalism, potters want to make good money and if people are buying them at that price, I'd probably do the same thing. For many here, and I share the sentiment, it just kind of strains belief to think that a single little bowl around 4-5 inches across and around 2" high would cost that much. It also kind of strains belief that people would actually pay that much. Maybe it has some special swirls or ridges in the bottom and looks real pretty but when you consider that you can go to a thrift store and find endless pretty bowls for around $1 or even less, it really makes one wonder why they would want to spend $40+ to accomplish the exact same thing you can accomplish for a dollar or less. The difference between a specially swirled or patterned bottom and a regular bowl are negligible or marginal at best when producing a lather so it's not like a shaving bowl is some kind of special vessel. In the end, some people will consider it a good value and others, an incredible waste of money. Now I'm not immune from overspending for something I could make due with at a much, much cheaper price or even free via re-purposing. I just did it with a used blade bank which I anxiously and impatiently await in the mail. Since you expressed such disbelief over all the "kvetching", I hope that I was able to put some perspective on it.

Last edited:
It also kind of strains belief that people would actually pay that much. Maybe it has some special swirls or ridges in the bottom and looks real pretty but when you consider that you can go to a thrift store and find endless pretty bowls for around $1 or even less, it really makes one wonder why they would want to spend $40+ to accomplish the exact same thing you can accomplish for a dollar or less.
First, you're comparing prices for a used thrift store item to a new item. This comparison is flawed from the start.

Second, the $1 thrift store bowl is not crafted the same as the shaving scuttle, which is double walled, has a handle, a relief pattern, a spout and a stopper. The comparison again is flawed.

How much are one's time and fuel worth to go shopping for a $1 shaving bowl, which is ultimately unnecessary for building great lather? If it comes to driving to a thrift store, and spending time browsing the shelves for an acceptable $1 shaving bowl, then one might as well face lather.

While some might find it unbelievable to spend $38 on a scuttle (that's what I paid including shipping for a G12), I find it unbelievable that some folks would waste the gas to drive to a thrift store and spend valuable time shopping for a used bowl...but I didn't start a thread looking for an explanation for why people do this.

The point being, that nothing is really gained by judging where others find value. Ultimately, few, if any, are going to be swayed to the other point of view. IMO.

We are a unique group, aren't we? :001_smile

Last edited:
First, you're comparing prices for a used thrift store item to a new item. This comparison is flawed from the start.

I disagree. I was comparing the cost of utility, not new vs. used. New bowls can be had cheaply as well but even a used bowls work just as well as a new bowl. I've purchased many items from a thrift store that are like new. If I were to place them side by side with a new item, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Thrift store doesn't necessarily mean chipped, cracked, scarred or worn.

Second, the $1 thrift store bowl is not crafted the same as the shaving scuttle, which is double walled, has a handle, has a relief pattern, a spout and a stopper. The comparison again is flawed.

I agree but this thread is about shaving bowls, not scuttles and I never mentioned scuttles.

If it comes to driving to a thrift store, and spending time browsing the shelves for an acceptable $1 bowl in which to make shaving lather, then one might as well face lather and skip unnecessary bowl lathering. How much is one's time and fuel worth to go shop for a $1 shaving bowl?

A lot less than a $40+ dollar shave bowl? :001_cool: I don't know about others but I've never left the house on a special quest for a $1 shaving bowl. I frequent thrift stores from time to time so if I happen to be in one, I might look then. I enjoy poking around thrift stores and it's not often that it's a goal-based trip, it's just something many people enjoy doing. These excursions usually happen when I'm nearby doing something else that I have to do, it's not a special trip.

The point being, that nothing is really gained by judging where others find value. Ultimately, few, if any, are going to be swayed to the other point of view. IMO.

We are a unique group, aren't we? :001_smile

I agree but people offering up their thoughts and opinions is free and often something can be learned from it. I can't speak for what motivated the original poster to start the thread but if there are people out there that think spending $40+ dollars on a special shaving bowl is going to somehow make a better and more magical lather then they should be aware that they can get the exact same results for pennies on those dollars.

Last edited:
^Perhaps it was only me who made the jump to include scuttles in the conversation, since ~$35 is what I recently paid for one, so I'll own that.

Regarding the rest of your argument...while I respect and appreciate your point of view, I remain unswayed, and I see no point debating the topic further, so I'm bowing out of the thread.

Last edited:
I've got the Captain's Choice lather bowl in "Gunmetal", and to me it is worth every cent charged. I don't use it every shave, but enjoy the performance I get from it when used.

Because there's a sucker born every minute.
from a practical perspective I'd love to see some proof that an expensive bowl yields a better result than a dollar store bowl.

I'm all about the $1 guacamole bowls others have mentioned. Score up the inside a little with a knife, and they work great.

Because there's a sucker born every minute.
from a practical perspective I'd love to see some proof that an expensive bowl yields a better result than a dollar store bowl.

+1 I get great results using my salsa/dip cooler/warmer.

I've got the Captain's Choice lather bowl in "Gunmetal", and to me it is worth every cent charged. I don't use it every shave, but enjoy the performance I get from it when used.
Any bowl will do, but the Captain's Choice bowl with it's design is simply better, perfect lather in about 45 seconds everytime!

As others have said its supply and demand

Also, every bowl is unique never the same as the others. It takes a lot of time and work to create. Especially custom made like specific color or art on the bowl.

I don't know if pottery making supplies have gone up but that could be a factor.

The other possible reason is wet shaving is becoming very popular and more wet shavers are looking for bowls causing a spike in price.

YMMV. That's what it's about.
In this case,I'm don't really think so. I'd like to see who can make wonderful lather with an expensive bowl but can't with a $1 bowl....now if you're saying it's just another luxury good of conspicuous consumption, or tied to ethical consumerism, or more esthetic, then I can go along with that.

In this case,I'm don't really think so. I'd like to see who can make wonderful lather with an expensive bowl but can't with a $1 bowl....now if you're saying it's just another luxury good of conspicuous consumption, or tied to ethical consumerism, or more esthetic, then I can go along with that.

I am not saying that you can't make great lather with a 99 cent salsa bowl, or heck, even in your hand. My "YMMV" comment wasn't about the lather quality, it was about the freedom of choice. You can choose to buy a 50 dollar custom bowl, or not. Because you choose not to, that doesn't mean others are "suckers".

Same argument can be made that you can get just a good a shave with a 99 cent Chinese razor or a 300 dollar (?) ATT set. They will both aid you in removing whiskers from your skin. Or using Arko versus that 130 dollar soap that won the B&B award. Barbasol AS for 1.75 or Myrsol?
You said there's a sucker born every minute. Do you use the always cheapest items available?

Top Bottom