What's new

Rib Roast bone-in

I need a recipe and cooking instructions for a Ribeye roast, bone-in, that is to die for! Sure I could search on Google for one but I need something tried and tested by you fine folks. It's 5lbs.

Thanks!

Rub salt and pepper all over the roast.

Cook in 200* oven until 5* below desired temp. 125-130* is medium rare. For 5 pounds, this may be 3 hours. Don't go above 200*!!

At 5* below desired temp, remove roast and cover lightly with foil. Roast will still cook and temp will come up to desired temp.

Crank oven to 550* or as high as it will go. Allow roast to rest for 30-60 minutes while oven warms. Put roast back in 550* oven for 8-10 minutes. This crisps the outside, but doesn't cook the inside anymore. You can do this anytime between the 30-60 minutes to fit your serving needs.

remove, behold the beauty, slice and serve. It should stay uniformly medium rare throughout, but be nice and crispy just on the very edge. You can quickly pan fry if any guests want to ruin their slice by having it cooked medium or well done ;).

ive done it this way a few times and it turns out great. Use a meat thermometer to track temp, just make sure it isn't touching a bone.

good luck!

Last edited:
Rub salt and pepper all over the roast.

Cook in 200* oven until 5* below desired temp. 125-130* is medium rare. For 5 pounds, this may be 3 hours. Don't go above 200*!!

At 5* below desired temp, remove roast and cover lightly with foil. Roast will still cook and temp will come up to desired temp.

Crank oven to 550* or as high as it will go. Allow roast to rest for 30-60 minutes while oven warms. Put roast back in 550* oven for 8-10 minutes. This crisps the outside, but doesn't cook the inside anymore. You can do this anytime between the 30-60 minutes to fit your serving needs.

remove, behold the beauty, slice and serve. It should stay uniformly medium rare throughout, but be nice and crispy just on the very edge. You can quickly pan fry if any guests want to ruin their slice by having it cooked medium or well done ;).

ive done it this way a few times and it turns out great. Use a meat thermometer to track temp, just make sure it isn't touching a bone.

good luck!

This. Was. Amazing.

I rubbed it with salt, pepper, garlic salt and a little rosemary.

This technique also works on steaks and is called the reverse sear it can produce some of the most amazing tasting bites.

Photo would be nice

Ask and you shall receive. My only complaint was that I ended up cooking it to a medium instead of medium-rare on accident.

$IMG_1785.jpg

Last edited:
Did you cook it too long the first go, or after your put it back in the second time? The middle looks great! Ideally, you would have ended up with that medium rare coloring and flavor all the way to the edge.

The good news is, you loved it like that. It'll only get better as you perfect your technique.

I thought I had more time on the first go and took my dogs out for a walk. I had my better half set a time for 20 minutes to check it since I though it had about 35 minutes until it was ready for full blast. You're right, we have another one planned for Christmas day and I plan on walking my dogs before I start ANY cooking!

Top Bottom