What's new

Best blades for under $10

Hey all long time no see! so to make a long story short i graduated college a few months ago (go class of 2014!) and ive been getting bic triple bladed razors. While the the shaves are ok, they arent so easy on my wallet. Each time i get some im down $6 or so and i only get 4 razors. Ive been looking to save money and so im thinking i will go back to de shaving. Havent shaved with a de since 2013 so it might take some getting used to but it shoud be fun : ) I actually still have my gillette adjustable that i used in college. If i can get blades for a few months at a fraction of the cost, that would be amazing :) So, now onto the question at hand. I shaved almost exclusively with feathers in college and i have to say their reputation is well earned. They are pretty damn sharp. In fact, maybe just a bit too sharp. Im looking for something that isnt quite as sharp but still delivers a smoothe shave, as ive had issues with razor burn before.

Now unfortunately, all that i have to shave with (cream wise) is a can of some barbasol stuff. Its lasted me impressively long (im still on my first can since i graduated) but needless to say its not quite on the level of things like T&H, GFT, etc that i got to use in college. So, i might see if i can get my hands on a tube of gft coconut. Damn, i loved that stuff. Waking up in the morning before class and smelling that was awesome. :) Or maybe AoS lemon. Loved that too.

Annnywaay, so what would be the best blades you guys would recommend? Thanks!

Easy. If you are doing it on the cheap, Astra SPs. At about $10 for a hundred off Amazon, they will be kind to your wallet. I get about 4 shaves from each.

If you are talking about under $10 before shipping there are some good options out there. These might run around $12 delivered and I'm going by Amazon prices for 100 blades. You may want to check Ebay. Ones that work very well for me:

Astra SP
Super-Max Super Platinum
Lord Platinum Class

Easy. If you are doing it on the cheap, Astra SPs. At about $10 for a hundred off Amazon, they will be kind to your wallet. I get about 4 shaves from each.
+1 ... AstraSP is the best all-around blade I've ever used. It works for any razor, any beard, any software.

You can't go wrong with an Astra, but don't assume it is the be-all and end-all of blade choices. There are better ones out there, but they are best suited for certain razors and certain beards. When you're budget allows, get a Sampler Pack and start experimenting.

I'm surprised you were getting good results with Feathers in a Gillette adjustable. When I tried it, it scared me off Feathers for close to a year.

And if you're looking for good software on a budget, hit up the drugstore shaving aisles. Brands like Nivea and Neutrogena can be found all over. If you prefer soaps, VanDerHagen and Williams abound. RiteAid has The Real Shaving Company creams.

And Bath and Body Works has the C.O. Bigelow version of Prograso green cream. They often run a B2G1 sale.

Depends on what you are looking for under $10. 100 blades under $10 limits your options but 50 for $10 means more choices. Even with 50 blades you should get nearly half a year of shaves.

For 100,
Astra Platinum right around $10 per 100 on Amazon.
Shark Super stainless, around $9 per 100.

For 50,
Voskhod, $7.70 Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-NEW-Voskhod-Rapira-double-edge-safetey-razor-blades-/281514580415
Rapira Platinum Lux, $8 Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-NEW-Platinum-Lux-Rapira-double-edge-safety-razor-blades-/271684095581

+1 for the Astra SP's. Good combination of sharp, smooth, and price.

Under $10 is a tough price point for me. Most of the blades under that don't work very well for me. Astra SP, if you can find them under $10 are a pretty solid choice. I bought a bunch a couple years ago at $9/100 but haven't seen them under $10 recently (not to say you couldn't find them though).

Just knowing my preferences, I'd probably go with 100 Personna Labs at about $13/100. They each last me at least a week, sometimes two so I could get at least two years of shaves from 100 of them. Great value in my book. I have to push an Astra a bit to get a week from it and i'd rather not so I go through them quite a bit faster. I think in the long run Personnas end up being cheaper for me.

I've only used a few, but they're pretty fantastic. Even better that they're under $10 for 100:

Supermax Titanium
Rapira Super Stainless

If you are going to go bulk, there are a few out there. Astra SP or SS are the favorite of the less expensive blades these days. Can always look for a sampler & see what you like out them too...www.tryablade.com, or even trade in the GBE.

Hey all long time no see! so to make a long story short i graduated college a few months ago (go class of 2014!) and ive been getting bic triple bladed razors. While the the shaves are ok, they arent so easy on my wallet. Each time i get some im down $6 or so and i only get 4 razors. Ive been looking to save money and so im thinking i will go back to de shaving. Havent shaved with a de since 2013 so it might take some getting used to but it shoud be fun : ) I actually still have my gillette adjustable that i used in college. If i can get blades for a few months at a fraction of the cost, that would be amazing :) So, now onto the question at hand. I shaved almost exclusively with feathers in college and i have to say their reputation is well earned. They are pretty damn sharp. In fact, maybe just a bit too sharp. Im looking for something that isnt quite as sharp but still delivers a smoothe shave, as ive had issues with razor burn before.

Now unfortunately, all that i have to shave with (cream wise) is a can of some barbasol stuff. Its lasted me impressively long (im still on my first can since i graduated) but needless to say its not quite on the level of things like T&H, GFT, etc that i got to use in college. So, i might see if i can get my hands on a tube of gft coconut. Damn, i loved that stuff. Waking up in the morning before class and smelling that was awesome. :) Or maybe AoS lemon. Loved that too.

Annnywaay, so what would be the best blades you guys would recommend? Thanks!

OP Pm me your address if it is in CONUS.

I prefer the Astra SS blade just a slight bit over the SP version. But I'm not sure if you can find these for under $10 if you're strict about your budget. The Astra's are a good recommendation.

If you're strict about your budget try these: http://www.bestshave.net/100-racer-super-stainless-de-razor-blades-p-97.html

Most cheap blades are just not sharp enough. Those that are plenty sharp like Treet DuraSharp seem to lack longevity giving a great first shave but then falling off a cliff in terms of performance after that. If a cheap blade only lasts one shave then, if you do the math, it's not cheap anymore. I find these to be a very good blade at a great price. They are quite sharp and last 5 or 6 shaves for me without a major decline in performance.

Normally I use Feather, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Polsilver, Gillette 7 O'Clock Black or Astra SP and the Racer blade has no problems keeping up in this blade rotation. I'll grab for them equally as often as the others without hesitation.

The razors I'm using: most often an ATT Kronos H2, sometimes I use the ATT R2 plate instead, and sometimes it's a Gillette Fatboy.

My picks...

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless

Those are the only ones that meet all the following criteria IMO:

1) Decently sharp,
2) On the cheap end of the price continuum,
3) "Friendly" enough to buy in bulk.

I can't tell much difference between the SP and the SS. It seems most people who prefer one over the other only do so by a small margin. If I were you, I'd just go by price between them.

Dorco ST-301 Platinum (red label) for about 8 bucks on the Bay, or Ri Mei, from China. You should try an Arko stick, too, because that will last you for a month or more at $4.50 a stick. It's my favorite soap stick; good quality. Have fun.

Top Bottom