What's new

Any good Borscht recipes here on B&B?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I love beats, and have been thinking of making some Borscht. Anyone have any recipes? I know it can be served hot or cold- any preferences?

on edit: being the time of year, I think I am going to lean toward the hot variety

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Love Borscht but I'm the only one who loves beetroots!

What are you looking for? Traditional Russian (mostly pure beet)? Or more of a traditional Ukranian? This is more hearty with beets, but a lot of cabbage, potato, beef or veal (shin bone, marrow, yummm) and a tomato paste base. Both have the big dollop of sour cream.

The Russian lighter version I like cold in the summer, sweet beets, sour cream, diced cucumber and scallion, and some ice cold Stolichnaya, you know, to deal with the heat..

For this time of year, the heartier Ukranian is my preference. A hot bowl of this, a chunk of the beef shank, sour cream, garlic, pumpernickel bread and some Stolichnaya (you know, just to keep warm), this I can go for. Of course if you're in Sydney or Cape Town, I can see you wanting the chilled version. I can get both recipies. Just need to call my mother, so you owe me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
What are you looking for? Traditional Russian (mostly pure beet)? Or more of a traditional Ukranian? This is more hearty with beets, but a lot of cabbage, potato, beef or veal (shin bone, marrow, yummm) and a tomato paste base. Both have the big dollop of sour cream.

The Russian lighter version I like cold in the summer, sweet beets, sour cream, diced cucumber and scallion, and some ice cold Stolichnaya, you know, to deal with the heat..

For this time of year, the heartier Ukranian is my preference. A hot bowl of this, a chunk of the beef shank, sour cream, garlic, pumpernickel bread and some Stolichnaya (you know, just to keep warm), this I can go for. Of course if you're in Sydney or Cape Town, I can see you wanting the chilled version. I can get both recipies. Just need to call my mother, so you owe me.

At this time of the year I think the heartier version would be best, but both would be nice to have. This is Texas- a hot day is just around the corner.

Okay, talked to mom. Apparently everyone I went to high school with is being considered for the Nobel Prize in Physics while preparing their arguments for the Supreme Court, but I digress...good reminder of the benefits of the Seinfeld "Buffer Zone."

This makes like 8 qts, so adjust accordingly. Also, mom does this by feel, so lots of approximations.

Ingredients
Head of cabbage cut into half inch strips, think linguine

4 to 6 waxy potatoes, Russets will fall apart, peeled, 1 inch dice. Not too small, something to cut with spoon. Too small and they melt away.

2 or 3 beets medium, peeled, half inch dice or grated. Canned beets are frowned upon but acceptable...As are my life choices (turns out mom doesn't love beets and takes it easy, you can go heavier, but it will be sweeter.

2 large carrots, grated

Small onion, diced

If you can find it, beef or veal shank bone with meat on it, 2 inch disks (think Osso Bucco) If not available, any lean, tough cut can be used. It will simmer a long time and fall apart. About a pound of actual meat, not including bone weight. A vegetarian version is apparently acceptable, but I will not be having any.

Tomato paste, half can or so (color and flavor).

Salt, pepper, bay leaves (3 or 4). Sugar

Accoutriments, sour cream, raw garlic, hearty bread (pumpernickel, rye), butter, vodka is optional.

Start with cold pot large enough for 10 quarts. Add meat and 6 qts of water. Bring to medium simmer and skim foam. Simmer half hour, continue skimming. After about half hour, stir in tomato paste (mom says half can). More tomato paste=more acid=need for more sugar. Add potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions and beets, bay leaves, salt, pepper, water to cover and about another inch. Water can be added as it simmers off. Season in stages, since the broth will concentrate. Keep at medium simmer for 30-45 minutes. Once potatoes and vegetables aretender (not mushy) take off heat. Adjust salt and pepper. Add sugar to taste. Boscht should be pleasantly tangy, not sour. Tastes better on 2nd day once flavors meld.

Serve with dollop of sour cream and diced garlic. Rub cut garlic clove on bread, butter, enjoy.

It's a rustic dish. There is no wrong way. Everyone adds their own twist.

Found a published recipe that is very similar, if more involved. I'm not sure that 18th century peasants burned additional wood to saute the beets.

http://natashaskitchen.com/2014/02/08/borscht-recipe-with-meat/

Natasha can stay though. I'll make any way she wants to.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Dubber. I got a recipe and a few chuckles ("Canned beets are frowned upon but acceptable...As are my life choices")

On edit: I just clicked on the link- I would eat her Borscht anytime.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dubber, my wife said that when she was in the hospital she found out that she likes beets. I am going to try your recipe this weekend.

If you want simple and quick....a couple cans of beets or fresh cut, throw them in a pot with beef broth (I use the larger box/low sodium). Add salt, pepper, a dash of garlic powder. I add water if necessary, depends on how thick you want it. Get it boiling and use a stick blender to puree it or throw it in a blender. I eat it both hot or cold with a teaspoon of sour cream on top. I know there are alot of better recipes out there, but this is quick and easy.

Top Bottom