What's new

Best DE Razor for less than $35?

+1

It's also referred to as the Merkur 41c (open comb) and 42c (w/ safety bar). I bought a 42c new for $26. Some people don't like the size and grip of the handle, but I'm starting to be convinced that it's more about the user, than the razor. I love mine and achieve a comfortable BBS shaves quite consistently.
+1 for a new razor....

For new, I'll throw in another vote for a Maggard razor. I bought one as my first DE. I loved it. And now they have the stainless steel handles, which is even better.

Of course, you could always go vintage ;)

Since prices for vintage razors are all over the place, it's hard to identify anything at a particular price point. For a current production razor, it's hard to top the Maggard razors, the several models of which all have the same head, but different handles. So, pick your favorite handle. I like the MR-1 for twenty bucks. For that, you get a decently finished and very good shaving head, paired with a great stainless handle, which is interchangeable with your other three piece razors. Pretty hard to beat for the money. Plus the service from the folks at Maggards is unsurpassed.

Have fun.
+1 MR1. Outstanding customer service.

+1 Parker 24/26C is the best shaving razor in the under $30 price range.

+1 for Parker 24/26C. This is a very mild and safe razor. This might be the best razor to begin with and many experienced shavers are still using this one. If you are in Europe EJ is selling this one.

Last edited:
Look at the Edwin Jagger 89s on Ebay. They have both the smooth chrome and lined for under $35 right now. I bought my first DE, about 3 weeks ago on Amazon. It was the EJ89 model called "Kelvin" that is, I believe, only available on Amazon. It has a short, thick knurled brass handle that is beautifully chromed, and was $32.65. I love it. Add an item to one of these and you'll qualify for free shipping.
I also bought a RazoRock Mission a couple of weeks ago. Thinking it was the more aggressive of the two, I waited until yesterday to try it. Compared to the EJ, my first two shaves with it were smooth, but seemed to drag more, have a little more irritation, and I like the short handle of the Kelvin for maneuvering. But, I'll see if I just have to get used to it.

A follow-up to my post above regarding the RazoRock Mission post above. After posting that I thought it produced irritation, I also noticed the shave was dfs. I used the RR again this morning. I was rushed, but things went well. No irritation or any weepers that I had yesterday. So, I'll have to back off on any criticism of it until I get in a few more shaves. Still prefer the stubbier handle of the EJ Kelvin, though. Blades were the Treet Silver that were included with the Mission.

There are many good options out there but it really depends on your experience and skin/hair type. I would recommend the EJ DE89 for beginners because of how forgiving it is. Vintage razors will also be solid performers.

Top Bottom