What's new

Yet another Coffee Roaster restoration project

1 lb San Franciscan batch/sample roaster that is going to need a bit more than a "cleaning"

Does not look like it but it weighs in around 100 lbs

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice!!!!!!!!

I thought so too until I started taking it apart and found most of the wiring cut. I've contacted San Franciscan and asked for some diagrams and schematics so I can try to put this puppy back together.

240 volts not gas which is what I am after as I still want to be portable and shove out on the patio to roast outside.

Not quite to the point of building a roasting building but maybe next upgrade of roaster to a 10 kilo continuous batch... Don't tell SWMBO as I almost did not squeak this little jewel past her.

Lucked out. Bought it and the seller offered to have their parents deliver it to me (WOW... what a double deal that was)

talking about electric... I had some fun with Christmas lights (big bulb)... Some one plugged them in and... ZAP!!!... OUCH! Them little buggers..

Last edited:
1 lb San Franciscan batch/sample roaster that is going to need a bit more than a "cleaning"

Does not look like it but it weighs in around 100 lbs

proxy.php

hey Mick!

That monster only roasts 1lb? There is something really awesome about that. The green canister on the left side of the pic, is that some sort of chaff control?

-jim

hey Mick!

That monster only roasts 1lb? There is something really awesome about that. The green canister on the left side of the pic, is that some sort of chaff control?

-jim

The bin is a chaff collector cyclone (scaled down for this size roaster). The exhaust stack comes out of the black bit at the top next to the fan on the chaff collector.

This 1 lb roaster is designed to be a batch/profile roaster which performs exactly like their production roasters so that a new batch of beans can be profiled and the roast standardized before committing to roasting 100 + lbs in their commercial size roaster.

Dug into it today and almost everything inside has been cut (Edward Scissor Hands special it appears). There are a few burned electronics that I will be replacing also.

I will be calling the manufacturer today to get a schematic and some more info as without it all together to start with I am not sure where everything hooks up.

I may move everything off to an external control box away from the heat. Hard to say at this point what will happen or how it will turn out. Right now I am just taking apart, cleaning, and taking pics so I have some what of an idea what goes where once I get all of the replacement parts.

proxy.php

With it that far apart, a trip to media blasting and powder coating is in order. I like the green Mick...:tongue_sm

Did it spend time outside? That seems like a lot of rust.

-jim

I am the 2nd owner.

First owner had it out as a working display in a coffee shop for a number of years. They said the shop has been closed for 5 or so years and the roaster in storage.

To me it looks like there have been a few fires in it. These roasters have no safety features, the operator is the safety.

the rust is in the "fire box" where the heating elements are located so exposed to extreme high temps which might explain the surface rust. I am not going to worry about this as the plate steel is pretty thick on this roaster and it has a solid roasting basket (no holes/slots around the outside but open in the front for adding/extracting the beans and a perforated back but the cylinder is solid. It's got some pretty hefty vanes inside to move the beans around while rotating.

proxy.php

Last edited:
As it looks this morning.

Screwed the board to the cart as this roaster is MUCH heavier than the hottop and I do not want it getting away while rolling the cart in and out

The mahogany board cleaned up fantastic as did the roaster. Looking good so far.

proxy.php

Mick, let me tell you about air poppers.:laugh: Seriously though, that's an awesome rebuild you're undertaking, I'm looking forward to watching the progress.

Top Bottom