What's new

Holy Grail razor

I am on a Merkur 37 slant right now. Some days wonderful other a meat grinder. What am I doing to cause the difference?

My new to me NDC Aristocrat which is by far the best razor I've ever used. Two pass awesome shave with NO irritation.
With Feather blades it's the greatest.

My actual Grail Razor I already own...Grandpa's 57' ball end (just because it was his)

Have my mind set on finding a nice Aristocrat, not sure why?

I currently have five holy grail razors I shave with, as follows:
1. Gillette Tech Ball, till the blade wears out, then;
2. Gillette Tech Ball, till the blade wears out, then;
3. EJ DE 8911, till the blade wears out, then;
4. VDH (Micro Touch), till the blade wears out, then;
5. Parker 24C, till the blade wears out, then, back to #1 and repeat the cycle.

Mine is a Gem MMOC. I keep being lured by the siren song of other SE's, DE's, and injectors, but at the end of the day (or at the beginning of the day actually) I get the longest lasting BBS from my humble GEM.

I have a NEW Improved that provides a superior shave. Clean and close with a distinct audible cutting sound.

I'm wondering why I don't use it more now that I think about it.

IKON B1 standard razor ..
ive never shaved with one but im drawn to the look !!
from there who knows as id be lucky just to grab that one ..lol

Talking collecting and not shaving. I had two and got them, the very first patented safety razor from Kampfe in 1880 and the Gillette double ring tin and the tin case with the very first blades every made.

I suppose another tin blade case to complete the set and the 1880 lather cather came with a wood handle to strop the blade and that is missing so basically better versions of my holy grail's but a Double ring set with shipper would be nice too.

$razors-1A.jpg$Proto-13.jpg$VeryfirstA.jpg

Do you have a "Holy Grail" razor?

What is it?

What would you then turn your attention to once you obtained it?

Last edited:
Do you have a "Holy Grail" razor?

What is it?

What would you then turn your attention to once you obtained it?
Nah, not one:

Aristocrats: US'34, British #15, #16 and #22​

After finding these I made it my quest to better my shaves by paying attention to blade longevity.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Grail razors keep changing as I acquire them.

+1. Declaring anything more specific than a top 5 would be presumptuous at this point in the game. I expect another 6-12 months of shaving before I know who the true apple of my eye will be.

What I can objectively say is that I've gotten the most BBS shaves from 2 razors: Slim @ 4 and NEW LC. There's still other razors trying to catch up to them however, and I still have to dip into the world of SE.

I keep my eyes out for a cheap #16 Aristocrat or hybrid tech head, but my UFO Colibri/ATT S1 Slant Combo would probably make it collect dust.

Top Bottom