What's new

Gem Microcromatic.wow

Interesting. The video looks like he has the one with the bumps (later design?). I have one without the bumps for the blade to rest against. My Micromatic and ER Shovel Head are my two favorite razors. I also have a 1912 and a G-Bar. The only one I haven't figured out how to use right is the G-Bar.

My Bullet-Tip is my daily shaver, the G-bar and Feather Weight are real similar possibly a little milder but not much difference.

The MMOC is definitely more aggressive to me. Same close shave with fewer passes but also more irritation and the occasional weeper especially with a brand new blade. Same great shave with less effort but at a price. Ever Ready Shovel-Head virtually identical.

Like the 1912 good shave no irritation but can't get in tight to shave around my goatee, have to touch-up with one of the others.

Shaved last night with one of my Super Speed DEs just to compare again. Not bad, and very little irritation but not nearly as close as I've gotten used to with SEs. Got out the MMBT and went over it again this morning, way smoother and closer.

Last edited:
I really regret trying out a Gem Micromatic.

1. It shaves so well that sometimes I don't need to shave the next day. Micromatics make me miss my daily shave.
2. It shaves so irritation-free that the witch hazel and the balms are mostly just taking up space in the cabinet.
3. It shaves so well that my beloved Superspeed and the Merkur mostly just sit there. They are getting jealous.
4. There are only a few blades to try out....I realize now I'll probably NEVER work through my sampler of DE blades. All the consumeristic fun is gone.
5. Worst of all, after I DO take a DE out for a drive, and my wife runs her hands over my face after a shave, she says "hmmm, not so close today."

Perhaps the only thing worse than a Gem Micromatic is a late model, long handled Schick Injector.

Ha ha, very good. Very similar to my feelings on virtually all counts, right down to injectors and what my wife says!

Greetings to all

Top Bottom