What's new

Does race matter for shaving brushes?

I am back in searching for a shaving brush but the thing about me is I am half asian and I dont have the full beard like that guy in The Last of Us. As a result I don't feel the justifaction for going to overboard with a brush. Here is a good example of my facial hair: https://www.google.ca/search?q=ligh...ill-see-improvements-from-rogaine-pic;640;426

There is no doubt that black men experience razor burn so does a badger brush work better in recducing razor burn?

I was thinking of the omega 10029 considering I dont have too much facial hair.

If you have sensitive skin, you may prefer a softer silvertip badger brush. A brush that is to scratchy can actually give you a form a razor burn, or brush burn. Using a softer badger brush and painting the lather on will help. Also, sometimes people with sensitive skin can have problems with using real animal hair, or a bit of a allergy to them. You could also consider using a synthetic brush, the Muhle fiber's are a very soft brush, and some people actually prefer synthetics over a real high end silvertip brush. Synthetics are also cheaper than real brushes. But..if you do want a very good silvertip brush for a good price, look at the WhippedDog brushes.

If your beard is very, very light, I'd suggest rubbing the shave cream with your hands to create lather and skipping the brush. If I didn't have such a thick beard, I'd consider doing it.

I don't think it matters what brush you get, but I envy you. I bet you have really easy shaves.
Im eastern European and have the worst of both worlds: coarse beard and sensitive skin.

I think youd be fine with a middle of the road badger brush, like a Vulfix Pure badger $30.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I would think that the exfoliating effect of the brush would be beneficial regardless of one's skin or beard type. And using a brush is just fun and feels good on the face. As far as pairing shaving kit with ethnic skin and beard consideration, I think the razor/blade combo would make a bigger difference than the brush, controlling for prep, lather, and post-shave treatments.

My opinion, it makes a big difference. If you don't have a thick beard and use scratchy brushes, it could irritate your skin quite a bit. Especially if you shave daily. That's why I like soft brushes. My beard grows quickly but isn't very full. I like the softest brushes I can possibly find. I avoid face lathering every day because it just irritates my face.

The boar brush might be good, but I would personally look into a good synthetic. The Plisson brush is $30 shipped, soft, and makes lather easily. Muhle/EJ synthetics are also a good choice, especially the 21 and 23 sizes. Of course there are super soft badgers and you can get all kinds of recommendations, but the price will go way up.

oh my yes race matters, here is a chart, a graph, and two you tube videos, a poll taken from malasia a poll taken from russia, my grandmas openion of the results. And a picture of a dog that is licking a cat that prooves it all....

Nope. All shaving brushes are race neutral.
+1 ... if there were any difference in brushes, the marketeers would have jumped on it, and brushes would already be labeled "Ideal for _________ men."

Go into any drugstore, and you will find aisles with specialized "Ethnic" grooming products. But there are no specialized shaving brushes.

Nope. All shaving brushes are race neutral.

+2

It really depends on what you are looking for in a brush. There are so many variables with brushes. If you want great scrub, look into horse hair or the renowned Shavemac D-01 2-Band for the best scrub/scratch.
If you want ultra-soft, then a great synthetic or a good 2-band badger would work fine.
Best of luck.

There's no specialized brushes because shaving brushes are a niche market. There's bump guard and shave magic at drugstores.

I'm half-Asian as well and there are no adverse effects from the selection of brush based on race. I have my favorites based on backbone, scritch, and composition of handle as well as bristles. None of which cause any negative effects delivering soap or cream to my face. Pretty much base your selection on the items I mentioned above as well as shape, weight, knot size, handle size, and budget. Happy lathering.

Every face is different. Both of my brothers responded differently to shaving than me. Some faces have more difficulty with scratchy brushes than others. Some faces enjoy a scrubby brush. Most every face enjoys a soft brush at least part of the time.

The only way you are going to find out what works for you is to try a few and see. I suggest you start with a silvertip. If that works well but makes you think you would like a stiffer brush, try a finest.

If your beard is very, very light, I'd suggest rubbing the shave cream with your hands to create lather and skipping the brush. If I didn't have such a thick beard, I'd consider doing it.

:blink: My goodness! Using a brush to face-lather is probably the best part of the shave, for me! :thumbup:

I've heard that some European badgers occasionally make some off color remarks about race, but luckily they aren't used to make brushes any more.

I could imagine that men who suffer from ingrown hairs frequently would benefit from boar brushes, or at least brushes with a scrubby feel.

Whichever feels best, get it. Brushes are inexpensive, so try different ones out. The softest I own is a Vie Long horse hair .

Top Bottom