What's new

My opinion regarding artisan signature soaps

I assume this is all about Michael Freedberg so being a bit more direct would help others who are out of the loop. I think Michael is an asset to Youtube and shaving and the fact that they limited production so you can't get the soap or splash makes me think it is not about making money. The Creed Aventus scent is the real story behind the Freedberg sales not a you tube endorsement to make money. I love Creed Aventus and so I love the Freedberg soap and splash and hope to get more. I wanted to get a close friend the soap and splash and posted here to get some soap but a splash was nowhere to be found. Joe is not like that and no doubt left money on the table with this as he could have increased production and I hope he does. I am sure this is inside fun between them and not so much about profit.

Can someone please explain to me this recent insistence by artisans to create signature soaps? What I think was a nice gesture at first by Joe from RazoRock, has recently turned into an obnoxious trend. I think it is unfair to a majority of the customers who spend 100's of dollars with these vendors, and receive little or no recognition. I work hard for my money, and put a lot more effort into my job than the amount of time it takes to record a 5-minute YouTube video, that's for sure. I think these signature soaps emphasize and encourage shilling within the community, something we can all agree is not helpful. I am of the school of thought that a good product ought to speak for itself. It's one thing to post a written or video review, and the entire community appreciates them as somewhat of a guiding light. But if you think I'm buying your soap because of the guy that you put on the label, think again. Especially when it’s someone who has pointed a loaded gun at the video camera. These are the guys you want representing your brand? I really think this trend should end as soon as possible. It would be much appreciated.

P.S. I mean absolutely no offense to any YouTube reviewers, vendors, or artisans. This is just a point of view, and is certainly up for discussion.

Last edited:
I haven't read all of this thread, so maybe this was already discussed, but it seems like one of the concerns is for a YouTube reviewer to start shilling a company in the hopes that they create a signature scent for them. I could start making video reviews of company X (all in praise of them of course) and then send them an e-mail saying, "Hey, look how many views I get recommending your soaps. How about naming a scent after me?".

To me, this is where the original question was leading (or at least one possible outcome). If this trend continues, it may encourage people to shill a company's product for some form of a kickback.

The last few months I've been watching alot of YouTube videos and I've subscribed to about 4 and one of the 4 is Anthony Esposito aka The Stallion. He has I think 2 soaps named after him and one is the RazoRock one that's about to come out. My question is would you stop buying RR products just because their coming out with that soap?

I think most wouldn't and I know I wouldn't in fact I might check out the stallion soap from RR. There's a video that was made by someone else who I'm subscribed to Chris Bailey aka TSE and he told all the "haters" off and I happen to respect him and his opinion just like Anthony. I just think people should respect others in this wet shaving commmunity instead of complaining about silly stuff.

The signature soaps might be getting out of hand but who cares, something else will come along and the haters will complain about that. Like Turtle said if you don't like it don't buy it

I think it's funny how TSE preaches respect for each other and condemns negativity while making a video calling a large portion of the community "whiny little bitches." That's the sort of effect these signature soaps can have IMO. I for one will not buy these soaps or any other product from "artisans" that follow suit.

I think he was calling the people who were talking bad about the soaps and the ones who complain to complain the "whiny little bitches" which is kinda true.

I didn't know one of his soaps was the Catie's bubbles Baileys Irish coffee (which makes since) and I'm definitely going to try to get some of that. I've heard from people on here that it is good. I don't drink coffee but I do like coffee scented soaps.

Last edited:
I'm finding this to be a pretty interesting read tbh. Naming a soap after someone that does reviews could definitely be an issue worth discussing. I'm not saying anyone has done anything unethical, but the potential is there.
I actually had no idea about this practice before this thread, so there is a benefit right there.

This just reminded me. When I was a kid, around six years old, my grandfather would judge talent shows between his grandkids. This quite literally devolved into us doing absolute nonsense while saying as many good things about him as we could as quickly as we could, as that struck us as the most likely way to win.

I'm amused, not at the fact that there are shaving "celebrities", but the fact that they're so desperate for something significant and interesting to do or talk about (it is SHAVING after all) that they would make a video about the "haters" and "Whiny little bitches". I spend a ridiculous amount of my time sharpening razors and knives and buying stones for doing this. I wanted the best soap out there so bad I started making my own soap. I'm pretty obviously someone who will waste a great deal of time on things that most people would find unimportant... and I marvel at the fact that shaving e-celebrities exist. Really, who watches these things, and why?

Last edited:
I think it's funny how TSE preaches respect for each other and condemns negativity while making a video calling a large portion of the community "whiny little bitches." That's the sort of effect these signature soaps can have IMO. I for one will not buy these soaps or any other product from "artisans" that follow suit.

Respect is a 2 way street, those who want it need to earn it, and someone isn't earning it if they're complaining about something that has nothing to do with them, which is by default introducing negativity.

If you don't like the idea of a signature soap then don't buy it, if you don't like someone making videos don't watch them, but don't expect others to respect your complaining when you aren't showing respect for their interactions.

Maybe this means we're getting old. Forums are dead. Now it's all the tweeteses and the hashtubes and the youtags. I welcome the change so long as these darn kids turn their rock and roll music down and stay off my lawn. #Supportmypatreon.

I think he was calling the people who were talking bad about the soaps and the ones who complain to complain the "whiny little bitches" which is kinda true.

Holy cow, did i really just lose those 7 minutes of my life watching that insulting video?

Someone explain to me why I would want to purchase a product from a company that "honors" someone that behaves like this?

As was said previously, you risk your brand when you endorse someone. Is it worth the potential trouble?

Holy cow, did i really just lose those 7 minutes of my life watching that insulting video?

Someone explain to me why I would want to purchase a product from a company that "honors" someone that behaves like this?

As was said previously, you risk your brand when you endorse someone. Is it worth the potential trouble?

I started following him because he likes to give impressions on certain products. There's a few guys like that, and sometimes they do give good impressions and showcase some underrated brands. The dude's AD's mostly the content that he has... but I unsubscribed eventually because I feel there's too much product endorsement going on and when they started this clique with the nicknames of the Stallion, the Pope, the Soap Doctor and stuff like that. It got too weird personally. If people like that, it's fine you won't hear judgement from me, but I just prefer my youtube reviewer funny (AngryJoe/Yahtzee for video games) or informational.

If you're ever curious about who to watch, I can only really suggest geofatboy, mantic59 and nick shaves because they do tutorials and reviews. Of course, the whole watching a shirtless/robed dude shaving for 5+ minutes is gonna be hard to get through.

I don't think it was insulting he mentions few times on the facebook group there's a few people that were giving negative comments about some companies. Those people were band and he was just telling the truth that just my opinion. That has happened on here a few times too he's right though about we need to keep things civil and gentlemanly :)

I for one enjoyed the video but if you thought it wasted 7 minutes of your life then that's fine you didn't have to watch all of it. I'm not saying I'm going to buy all the signature soaps but the CB Irish coffee and the RR one I might check out.

^^^ Nick shaves is another one I'm subscribed too (I think one of the first) He is fully clothed so that's a plus lol but I like his video's and Anthony The stallion I like his because he's a good straight razor shaver and I've learned alot watching his vids same with Mantic and Geofatboy.

Last edited:
Maybe this means we're getting old. Forums are dead. Now it's all the tweeteses and the hashtubes and the youtags. I welcome the change so long as these darn kids turn their rock and roll music down and stay off my lawn. #Supportmypatreon.

:lol:

You need to think about how you can make a contribution to the wet shaving community. Apparently, posting here will not provide the credit we all so desperately crave.

If you're ever curious about who to watch, I can only really suggest geofatboy, mantic59 and nick shaves because they do tutorials and reviews. Of course, the whole watching a shirtless/robed dude shaving for 5+ minutes is gonna be hard to get through.

Mantic's videos were very influencial when I was getting into wet shaving a few years ago. I believe I bought my first safety razor, a progress, on his recommendation. Pretty sure he wore a shirt in those videos!

Just watched the "bitches" video from TSE. He makes two good points -

1. If you don't like shaving videos, don't watch them. If you want to change the scene, release a video. Fair point.

2. Soapers make soaps to "honour" these people who make the videos. This is, imho, dangerous. As I said before, if a youtube shaver and a soap maker come together to work on something together, that's one thing. Just releasing a soap to honour someone like that then starts to take away their integrity, whether they want that or not. When Mr Golfing Sportsman says that this company makes the best clubs in the world, is it because they really ARE the best, or because they are good and he got a great contract with them? We all know, it is the latter.

If I was making videos and I really, actually, wholeheartedly wanted to do so with integrity, I could not accept an endorsement in that way. After that, the question is always "Is he saying this because he wants to be honoured/was honoured by the company?" and no matter what the answer actually is, the question itself undermines the goal of the videos - to give great reviews of products.

Just my 1.18 Russian Rubles (at time of writing)

Shaving celebrities?
Talking and doing non-sense to get a signature shaving soap?

Sometimes I think this hobby is going a little beyond reasonable boundaries.

This is a fascinating thread, more so now that I have moved on from my initial disappointment of having my attitude described as "cancerous." My god, shavers can be a touchy bunch.

I like this forum fine. I've learned a ton. I don't do social media, so I was surprised to hear that certain shavers who had released shaving videos were now being "honored" by having artisan shaving soaps named after them. Which could raise all sorts of grim ethical dilemmas. Not one bit of which will ever influence any soap purchase I might make. Ignorance really is bliss.

None of which is at all important. Fascinating, but in the big scheme of things, not worth the proverbial hill of beans.

I remain convinced that watching a video of some dude shaving is creepy.

Like many of us, I watched Mantic early on. I didn't think it was weird at all. Some years after that, I started watching Steve Faragher when he first started making videos. He was more idiosyncratic, his methods wouldn't be endorsed by a lot of people here, his lather is sub-par most of the time, but he used a very simple method that was the same method used by a barber who shaved him in Turkey once.

But he added British color and personality to his videos, he was interactive, and treated his audience as friends. I grew to like him so much that I felt for him when his girlfriend got breast cancer and was distressed when he had a heart attack last year. I'm still subscribed to his channel, and watch videos he uploads.

But he was the one that started The Big Shave Facebook group, named after his videos, from which a lot of these guys have come. I've seen a few of their videos. The best of the bunch is "Big John" I think (although his "Mad Scientist of Wet Shaving" nickname is ridiculous) because he talks through the products and gives tips and throws in a little history and color now and then. He shaves with Trac II's and injectors and other razors you don't normally see. I absolutely love the fact that he always says going back to the puck to reload soap is no bad thing at all, and whenever did it become a bad thing or an evaluator of a soap's effectiveness? So what? It's soap...use it.

The only other one I watch is Joe from Queens (I think that's his name) simply because his videos are like little field trips to New York. They're fun. Do I think he and his son should go on some sort of diet for the sake of their health and immediate future? Yes. But I love the guy's videos because of the local color. Shaving is almost secondary to what his videos are about.

I did watch Geo for a time, until everything became ShaveNation this and ShaveNation that. Here, get your ShaveNation washcloth and wash your face while your ShaveNation brush soaks in your ShaveNation bowl. But I like that he defended the Feather ASD1 at a time when most people were poo-pooing it for being too mild. He gave it a run on his heavy beard with a full-week's growth, and showed it to be not "too mild" at all.

The other guys I could care less about. Freeburg or TSE haven't engaged me...Busta flat-out annoys me, and the guy from "Reddit's Wicked Edge" is the worst. First, I still haven't figured out what the heck Reddit actually is or what it's useful for as opposed to a forum, and second,his personality is dull as dishwater, and he's critical of stuff unless he gets an absolute BBS shave (and he always shaves when it looks like he has zero stubble on his face anyway). Though, I will admit the time he shaved with a straight piece of obsidian was entertaining.

Anyway, I don't think any of these guys whould have soaps named after them but the artisans can do what they want. I stopped buying RazoRock stuff because everything was so similar, with weak scents, and there were so many new products with increasingly weird names that I just gave up. Yet...RR can do what they want. I had no idea what How to Grow a Mustache was until this summer. I still haven't tried it. I have no plans to. An extended illness has put wetshaving on hold indefinitely for me and I haven't shaved with anything but a Norelco for months now.

So as I've taken time off from the hobby, I've come across an explosion of new soaps and razors I had no clue about. And soaps named after guys I had no clue had soaps named after them. Do I think it's right? Not really...but the artisans can do what they want. I'm not their main target anyway. I have entirely too many soaps, and I'm not going to be buying any more for the forseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom