What's new

corking your DE blades

Ok so i corked anastra blade and it felt like I was trying to shave with a steak knife, the feel is just not for me, but thank you guys for all your help it is much apriceated.

I am a two shave and done guy when it comes to blades and so I put an Astra SP in one of my Gillette NEW's (my favorite razor)....first pass felt pretty rough, and Astra SP's are my go to blades...I use them as my standard in all newly acquired razors, and as the number one blade in my rotation... so I am familiar with them to say the least....well I decided to try this corking thing, I lightly ran the edge through the cork so that blade barely cut into it....back in the razor and the second pass was smooth as silk, like it was a completely different blade.

I see many people say that they prefer the second shave of a blade more than the first.....I've corked my past three fresh blades...a Astra SP, a Feather, and a Voskhod....and each time the blade felt sharp and smooth on the initial pass and I got two very nice shaves out of each of them...I don't think there was any substantial dulling of the blade and so as far as I'm concerned....a cork (which we have plenty of) will keep a place in the drawer where I also keep my blades.

I've done it but I prefer to simply shave with a blade that's comfortable from the get-go, so I see it as only a short-term solution. Handling the blades as little as possible is always a good idea.

I don't use feathers because the chew up my face on the first shave so bad that the second and third shave isn't good because my face is so damaged. I might try corking them since I have several that I won't be using otherwise.

I don't know about extending the life, essentially what you're doing is removing any tiny burrs and in a way dulling it a bit. For me it seems to simulate a shave on the blade. That way my first shave with it is more like my 2nd. A lot smoother. I only use a blade for 3 shaves. Sometimes 4. So longevity isn't important, comfort is.
YMMV but it works for me.
I've never used actual cork because it seems like it would be a bit harsh on the blade. I use Styrofoam peanuts. I pass each side through 5 times. Cork seems like it might seriously dull the blade, but I'm Def gonna try it when the bottle of wine in my fridge is empty...

I don't know about extending the life, essentially what you're doing is removing any tiny burrs and in a way dulling it a bit. For me it seems to simulate a shave on the blade. That way my first shave with it is more like my 2nd. A lot smoother. I only use a blade for 3 shaves. Sometimes 4. So longevity isn't important, comfort is.
YMMV but it works for me.
I've never used actual cork because it seems like it would be a bit harsh on the blade. I use Styrofoam peanuts. I pass each side through 5 times. Cork seems like it might seriously dull the blade, but I'm Def gonna try it when the bottle of wine in my fridge is empty...

Packing peanuts, what a great idea!!

Packing peanuts, what a great idea!!

Haha yeah, we all have them!!!
It's easier to use and not go too far with, but takes more passes per edge. I do 3 to 5 good passes into the peanut. Forgot where I read it, but it was on B&B.
happy to pass the info along.
not that there is anything wrong with cork, I haven't tried it yet. But it seems like you would have to do it just right or it would dull the blade to feel worse like the gent above said about shaving with a steak knife.
Styrofoam cup might even be better because it's a bit more dense and the blade can be further from the fingerso on the hand you're holding the cup with.... just thought of that. Gonna give it a try! !

Comparing the edge-taming qualities of cork vs packing peanuts?
How meta. Cork sniffing corks!

Whats next... the depth, reps, and technique of pulling the blade through?
;)

I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like a good reason to drink more wine.

as if we needed another "reason" ! :blushing:

I always need reasons to drink wine. I find it much more challenging to finish a bottle of wine compared to my beloved cider. And I've yet to find someone who is interested in regularly sharing Basque Tannat with me.

If all this does is help to smooth out the blade, I wonder if palm stropping does something similar.

I always need reasons to drink wine. I find it much more challenging to finish a bottle of wine compared to my beloved cider. And I've yet to find someone who is interested in regularly sharing Basque Tannat with me.

If all this does is help to smooth out the blade, I wonder if palm stropping does something similar.

I would say yes....I have tried stropping before, but didn't notice much difference...all I do is lightly run a fresh blade through the cork once on each edge, maybe twice for a Feather...and I find that my first shaves are nice and smooth and I really don't notice any dulling. I'm getting two great shaves out of my blades and then I toss em...couldn't be happier with my corking results.

Top Bottom