What's new

Just a friendly warning about changing DE blades

When I put a new blade on my HD I unfold the paper one side at a time and keep the wrapper between the blade and my fingers and then put the cap of the razor on then pull the paper off. This way no part of my bare finger is touching the blade.

I usually do something similar, but I was swapping a blade from one razor to another and drying off the razor handle at the time. I am just a clumsy person at heart!

How strange. Have you ever read, seen, or heard something that reminded you of a dream you had the night before but had completely forgotten?

Upon reading this thread a dream I had forgotten about from last night came back to me. I was shaving with a straight razor and for some reason it got near my fingers and sliced me twice all the way to the bone. I could look at the cut, but it was so deep and because of its location it took some time to start bleeding. Just as the blood came I woke up.

Thanks for reminding me of this dream!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Don't fret- chiskc dig scars. :tongue_sm

Too bad someone already had septic pencil as a custom title.

What's a septic pencil?:wink:

Good reminder, we'd all like to think we've been shaving long enough to avoid this kind of thing, but it's exactly that complaciency that gets us into trouble.

STYPTIC! Septic is a tank where sewerage goes in your back yard.

Either way, .....It stinks when you have to use one.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

LMAO!!!

I had only one such occasion, in college when I was young and stupid(er).

I was carrying my slim adjustable in the pocket of my bathrobe. I had dropped my key into the same pocket. When I got back to my room, I grabbed for the key, and caught both edges of that old Platinum Plus.

I squeezed hard, for some reason, thinking it was my key.

The good news is, now, some 33 years later, I STILL remember this little "lesson" every few days when I change the blade.

YEOW!!!! :w00t:

Back in the day, all blades came in a package with a disposal slot. Now that is no longer the case, I keep an Altoids box to use.
The box wouldn't help with momentary inattention, however.

Me too. Mine's nearly filled up. Every time I open it up there's a blade that sticks to the top of the the lid. But there's still room on the sides.

But your absolutely right. One millisecond of inattentiveness, and you could loose a digit. But It's a great place to store 'em.

STYPTIC! Septic is a tank where sewerage goes in your back yard.

In the spirit pedantry sewerage doesn't go into the Septic Tank, sewage does. Sewerage is the system of sewers, or the means by which sewage is removed :lol:

Hopefully I can learn by R_James mistake and be even more bloody careful when changing blades.

Ouch!!!
Can't say I emphathize on the razor blade event... but I certainly sympathize.
My big faux paux was with sharp kitchen knives. Little bit of inattention and a knife layed open my index finger really good while chopping vegetables.
Bah. My wife & I have both dropped chef's knives and stopped them with our feet. Tho' I went for the 8" knife -- she only went for the 6". Resulted in a really neat phone call to a fellow with whom I was to have a job interview:
"Hello, Gil? You know our scheduled interview? Well, I'm currently driving my wife to the emergency room. She dropped a chef's knife on her foot. I was wondering if we could reschedule?" (Which we did, and I subsequently got the job.) :biggrin:

Hope your wound heals well...

+1

Richie, thanks for sharing your pain for our educational gain.

Agreed, much respect is owed to those thin little sheets of metal which seem pretty plain and tame.

I think I'll start doing a pre-shave prayer each morning to focus my meditations on not burying one in my hands and/or face any time ever in this lifetime.

"My blade, which art in Gillette
hallowed be thy edge ....​

P

Pogo

The speed at which this thread is growing demonstrates how common the problem is.

The thought occurs to me that, if double-edge razors were invented today, they might be interdicted by OSHA.

Eternal vigilance is not enough; sometimes those bad boys just jump up and bite you.

well... you can still buy a chainsaw today..or a hammer. both are pretty painfull when mis-used. The gillete dispensers alow putting the blade in the razor without touching it.

What's a septic pencil?:wink:

Good reminder, we'd all like to think we've been shaving long enough to avoid this kind of thing, but it's exactly that complaciency that gets us into trouble.

I think that it's a special pencil for digging in your ***:biggrin:

I as well nicked myself last evening changing blades (could it be the 3rd Shiraz had an effect). Surprisingly, the nick didn't seem much larger than the finger pricks I do to measure blood sugar. As a matter of fact, I used the blood in my meter. The strange part was that I just couldn't get it to stop oozing and had to put a bandaid on it. It may have been some oily manufacturing residue that blocked clotting. I even tried styptic.

Superglue question:

If I and when I do cut myself, what type/brand of superglue is best to use(krazy glue etc?). And how do you apply it to a cut?? I've heard of people use then on blisters.

Top Bottom