What's new

o everyone was right

So i just started straight razor shaving and been looking into it for a while. Everyone said get a cheap strop your gonna nick it up...i did but doubted the reasoning.got a whipped dog poor man's strop. It looks so easy.....
$20141216_132446.jpg

So what grit sand paper should i use to smooth out the nicks..lol any tips appreciated 😆

The first bit of advise I have is slow way down and get real methodical to learn mussle memory.

Then, according to the surface of the leather I'd start out with a 320 in a spot somewhere off the runway. If that does it do the rest. If not, then adjust from there. Once you get the surface cleaned up you can reburnish with a piece of denim wraped around a small board. Dampen the cloth and rub, rub, rub. Then your hand will most likely blend it. This is where I'd start.

Regards

Chasmo

Holy cow! That looks like years of abuse right there! :lol:

I am with Chasmo. Slooooow down. And to add: Just a little pressure (or I find some razors like no pressure at all). And make sure that the cutting edge of the blade never ever faces the direction you are moving!

You are flipping the blade on the spine, and not the cutting edge, right? :tongue_sm

Thanks chasmo.and ya i started out slow but stoping at the wrong time i got to painfully watch the results. Just thought id share my over excited dumbness ��

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
This is a good reminder for me to not buy an heirloom strop in the beginning when I decide to start shaving with a straight.

Yes, but also, a lot of heavier and better treated leathers won't look that damaged from light nicks. Those scuffs look mostly like toe dragging, which most of my strops (most, not all) completely ignore or allow to be easily rubbed out. They're lubricated and tight-grained enough the toe just skids over them rather than scraping away at them the way thin cordo and less prepared cows hides would show. The slices at the edges of course will damage any strop.

Still, yes, it's wise to start on a cheap strop. You don't want to be doing that sort of stuff, even if your strop can take it.

Last edited:
That strop is gonna' need a lot of sanding if you want all or even most of the damaged areas removed. I would suggest a palm sander with 80 grit sandpaper to start with; you will remove the entire surface but that can be a plus too- you will end up with a piece of Russian leather, sort of. But honestly, it will work and give you a brand new strop- the one that is lurking under the one you already have. Once the entire surface is clean and all damage removed, you can go to go to finer paper: I usually use 220 and finish up with 400 to 600 grit, again on a 1/4 sheet palm (orbital) sander. If doing it by hand it will take a long time and you might want to finish with finer sandpaper- perhaps 1,000 grit sanding in the same direction you strop. Then use a wet cloth and really work the leather surface very aggressively to make sure you get all the grit out of the leather. Finally, a bit of strop oil (the white strop paste or Neet's foot oil for example), a leather conditioner or Carnauba wax (my favorite) worked into the surface followed by 'boning' which most of us do with a drinking glass edge to work the wax into the leather and compress the fibers and you will have a strop that is better than new.... literally.

But considering the labor and cost of materials (sandpaper, wax or other leather conditioner) and the learning curve, you might be better off with another piece of inexpensive English Bridle leather instead. Of just buy another Poor Man's strop from Whipped Dog.

And don't feel badly about beating up your first strop, I think we all have one (or more) of those in our background.

Brian

So i just started straight razor shaving and been looking into it for a while. Everyone said get a cheap strop your gonna nick it up...i did but doubted the reasoning.got a whipped dog poor man's strop. It looks so easy.....
View attachment 530789

So what grit sand paper should i use to smooth out the nicks..lol any tips appreciated 

I mutilated a Tony Miler strop, sanded it down with 400 grit, just enough to smooth it, rubbed it down with Lexol, then gave it a good buffing with my palm when it dried. Better than new, now!!! Different characteristics than before I totaled it, but it now has a 'vintage' look and is still the best strop I have!! Sand away, grasshopper!!

I sanded out my first strop and passed it on to a new straight shaver so it could serve again. Don't sweat it. You will have it down in no time.

Thanks every one ill play with it this weekend. Fingers crossed. And don't worry seraphin.the blue bomber just find!! and is still my go to!

So i sanded it with a couple different grits of sandpaper till she was smooth again.wiped it clean with a wet rag Then worked in some neets foot oil with a pint glass.i think she came out nice.thanks for the help everyone
$20150112_170730.jpg

I feels and Sounds better to me but im new to stroping so idk but im liking it a getting smooth shaves so im happy

Top Bottom