What's new

wool casual socks, reasonably priced

Hi everyone - I really like wool clothing products, especially wool socks for the cold weather. I have a four pack of wool hiking socks that I got from Costco ($11.99 if my memory serves) and my dress socks are wool. I'm looking for a casual pair of wool socks, for "business casual" days and being out-and-about on the weekends. I'd think merino wool would be just about right; the hiking socks are a little too thick and my dress socks are a little too thin. Besides I'm looking for casual socks with interesting patterns, like argyle or stripes, etc. Fun socks. I'd prefer over-the-calf, but that's not a deal-breaker. Certainly no ankle socks or 3/4 length, though.

I'd also like to find them reasonably priced (i.e. probably no more than $20 a pair). So does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Smartwool, Lorpen & Teko socks are all fantastic Merino blended sock brands.

Last edited:
Have a look at Smartwool Diamond Jim or Shevron stripe socks. If you keep your eyes open you can catch them on sale from time to time.
Johnny

I also find Costco hiking socks a great value and wear them in my boots in the fall and winter. They are a little thick for wear with shoes.

I found some socks on Ebay that fit the bill for me. I am done buying socks at $20 a pair. They are made by Balega and are actually a trail running crew sock. They are a merino blend and retail for around $16 and similar quality to Lorpen, Goodhew, Smartwool etc. They are selling for less than a third of that price on Ebay. I would say they are heavier than dress socks but thinner than the Costco hiking sock. I ordered two pair and wore them around for a couple weeks and was so impressed I ordered 10 more. They are available in a medium blue and grey-if you search around. I would order a size up if you are near the top end of a size. I am a size 11.5 and ordered a L and XL. I think the XL fit better.

Link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balega-Unis...S_Unisex_Accessories&var=&hash=item19f780c6ef

Smartwool Diamond Jim
:thumbup: The warmest/comfiest argyle socks I've ever owned for sure! I own two pairs of them and 9 pairs of PhDs. No messing around. A few months ago, I discovered wear in the heel of my first pair I ever bought and I tossed them after 8 years. An excellent example of the saying "sometimes more is less".:001_smile
$IMG_1536.JPG

Last edited:
My suggestion would be for Darn Tough socks. They are made in Vermont. These are my go to sock for everyday wear outside of work. They are not terribly expensive. They average about $11 a pair. They are not thick or thin, right in the sweet spot. I have some that have seen regular use for 5 years and show no signs of wearing thin. I can't say enough about this brand of sock...

Smartwool is the best!! I just got another pair in the mail yesterday. Sierra Trading Post usually has them at a reasonable price...they're seconds/irregulars but you'd never know it. Here's the pair I just received...

$photo.JPG

Smartwool makes great socks. I have a pair of Darn Tough that I like. I've also tried People's Socks made in Brooklyn and they are very good but they seem to make a batch or two a year so their choices are limited. You can also find bike socks in wool but they may have logos on them.

:thumbup: The warmest/comfiest argyle socks I've ever owned for sure! I own two pairs of them and 9 pairs of PhDs. No messing around. A few months ago, I discovered wear in the heel of my first pair I ever bought and I tossed them after 8 years. An excellent example of the saying "sometimes more is less".:001_smile
View attachment 531058

Oh, just great! Now I am going to have to get some!

I hate thick socks but it gets cold here so I wanted some thinner wool socks (around the same thickness as classic white gym socks) and found the Iowan-made Fox River company carries something I like. They have a good product selector thing so you can pick 'wool socks, lightweight'

https://www.foxsox.com

I buy the socks at the local farm store for a bit lower price than listed on their website. Once you find the model you want, you can search Amazon, etc...

I just bought 2 pair at target made under the C9 line of Champion. I think they were around $10 for the two, one is black one has cool stripes. They are mid weight and seem pretty comfortable.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I've been very happy with REI brand merino socks. Smartwool is great too. REI usually (always?) has a "buy 3 pair, get 10% off" deal on socks.

Top Bottom