What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
[MENTION=48230]cleanshaved[/MENTION]

Yeah, the second dump (or third :laugh:), whether it's the from the paste or powder (Mild Bill's) gives it a pick-me-up of freshness lost from the long simmering. Maybe try mixing a little of both.

Good luck and keep it on the hot side.:letterk1:

don'd be puttin no beans in there.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Attachments

• $Bottom-Round-Roast.jpg
    $Bottom-Round-Roast.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 57

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
@cleanshaved

Yeah, the second dump (or third :laugh:), whether it's the from the paste or powder (Mild Bill's) gives it a pick-me-up of freshness lost from the long simmering. Maybe try mixing a little of both.

Good luck and keep it on the hot side.:letterk1:

don'd be puttin no beans in there.

I will decide how to proceed on mid cook taste testing.

While I like beans in Chili, I could not and would not put them in a Texas Red.
I don't buy into the if it has beans in it not chilli debate but I believe if you are trying to make something authentic from a given area, do as they do. That stands way before I even knew about the bean debate (pre B&B mess hall days). With that said I will wing it and make something fusion but that is made clear.
Actually the little woman now prefers it without beans, so it is less and less that I drop beans in a chilli.

That makes me want to go buy a bottom round

I think you should Owen. Can have a kiwi eating more chilli than a Texan now can we. :001_cool:
I'll be using chuck steak as I still have heaps in my freezer. I'm using 2kg / 4.4lbs of Chuck Steak for this one, that's a lot of dicing to be done.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think you should Owen. Can have a kiwi eating more chilli than a Texan now can we. :001_cool:
I'll be using chuck steak as I still have heaps in my freezer. I'm using 2kg / 4.4lbs of Chuck Steak for this one, that's a lot of dicing to be done.
I have never tried chuck. I wonder how different that would be.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Try flank steak or even brisket. I've used both.

A little tip cubing all that meat into 1/4" inches.....put it in the freezer for awhile until it firms up. It's much easier to cut.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

Both Chuck and bottom round are good for stewing, so what you are using is just fine.
It's worth a try if the price is right. Which one is cheaper for you?

I want to try make a chilli with a bone in shin shank. Slow cook until you can pull it like pork. The bone and marrow would work like if not better than a stock adding flavour.
The cheap cuts tend to work best with stews.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

A little tip cubing all that meat into 1/4" inches.....put it in the freezer for awhile until it firms up. It's much easier to cut.

I've been browning my meat in long strips then cutting dicing down to chilli size. It may mean a bit less browned edges but works well enough for me. It makes it easier to brown in the pan with turning as well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I've been wanting to check out flank steak.
I've been browning my meat in long strips then cutting dicing down to chilli size. It may mean a bit less browned edges but works well enough for me. It makes it easier to brown in the pan with turning as well.

This is what I do- I don't have the patience to brown up cubes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

I've been wanting to check out flank steak.

This is what I do- I don't have the patience to brown up cubes.

A rough chili grind from the butcher is fine too.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, I like to use the oven too. It gives good all around heat to the Dutch oven without burning on the bottom.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

Slick idea. Thanks.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Aaron it was very tasty. It must be cooling off over your side of the world? Chili time in Texas?
I was going to have it yesterday but it was such a nice day a BBQ was in order. A bit cooler today so chilli time. I'll freeze the left overs down for Ron'
The inclusion of 6 dried habaneros lifted to a nice heat, if anything it could have done with a touch more heat. YHMV.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Aaron it was very tasty. It must be cooling off over your side of the world? Chili time in Texas?
I was going to have it yesterday but it was such a nice day a BBQ was in order. A bit cooler today so chilli time. I'll freeze the left overs down for Ron'
The inclusion of 6 dried habaneros lifted to a nice heat, if anything it could have done with a touch more heat. YHMV.
Yeah, it was only in the 80s today.

Top Bottom