What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

Well, you all convinced me, I am even now cooking the onions and garlic for my first foray into Texas Red. I had to get the guajillas dried, unfortunately, and I am pretty much using the original recipe before I make any tweaks. Although I am using bacon grease instead of veg oil.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, you all convinced me, I am even now cooking the onions and garlic for my first foray into Texas Red. I had to get the guajillas dried, unfortunately, and I am pretty much using the original recipe before I make any tweaks. Although I am using bacon grease instead of veg oil.

Welcome aboard LD. Glad you are giving it a try. I'm not sure I understand your statement, "I had to get the guajillo dried."

Bacon grease is all good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

That is the way most chilis come. Just soak them in very hot water for 30 minutes or so. I usually bring a pot to boil, turn it off, toss in the chilis, and weight it down with a dish.

Welcome aboard LD. Glad you are giving it a try. I'm not sure I understand your statement, "I had to get the guajillo dried."

Bacon grease is all good.

Meaning I had to buy dried chilies rather than fresh. I can get many peppers fresh here, but not those.

here it is, in all its upside down (for some reason) glory. Quite tasty, though I miss the tomato sweetness. Perhaps the prunes would add something.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If it seems somewhat bitter(which is not a bad thing) you can add a little honey or brown sugar. As Owen stated the guajillo chili's only come in dried form. That is why the recipe calls for them to be rehydrated in hot/warm water.

Your chili looks spot on...especially the color. Good job LD!!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Your Texas Red is spreading like wildfire, Aaron!

I guess it's that time of the season. It's cold up north so stew and chili are popular right now. Super Bowl weekend always brings out the chili. As mild a winter we are having here in Texas I might just need to break out my summer recipes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I guess it's that time of the season. It's cold up north so stew and chili are popular right now. Super Bowl weekend always brings out the chili. As mild a winter we are having here in Texas I might just need to break out my summer recipes.

I am treating myself to Mama's Pizza for the Super Bowl- pepperoni, green olives (you can't call yourself a pizza joint if you only have black) and extra cheese. I may eat an entire medium. I do not do this often.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I guess it's that time of the season. It's cold up north so stew and chili are popular right now. Super Bowl weekend always brings out the chili. As mild a winter we are having here in Texas I might just need to break out my summer recipes. :glare:

..... :a6:

We're supposed to get several inch of snow tomorrow.
proxy.php

The plan right now is get both Texas Red Chili (with pinto beans) and beef stew in the oven (low and slow) tomorrow.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
..... :a6:

We're supposed to get several inch of snow tomorrow.
proxy.php

The plan right now is get both Texas Red Chili (with pinto beans) and beef stew in the oven (low and slow) tomorrow.

Beans? :a11::a47::a47::a47:

If you put beans in this recipe it will explode into a gasious Inferno.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Had a bowl of chili today. Kicked up the heat with some fire dragon insane sauce. A day aged and with some real heat was even better.

Made this last night for the Super Bowl so it can have a little rest to let the flavors meld.

I toasted the chiles in a smaller skillet because I was worried about over toasting. This allowed only a few to be exposed to the direct heat at one time. I stirred them constantly.

Next is their soak before getting VitaMixed which meant no straining.

The dicing of the meat took the longest and finally we have some Texas Red on the stove.

I couldnt help but sample a little. WOW! Thanks Aaron. I still like my tomato and bean stew but now I know what chili should taste like.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 43
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 43
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 43
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 44
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 44

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, you have now passed over into the twilight chili red zone. The red zone is programmed to receive. You can check-out anytime you like, but you may never leave.

Thats killer looking chili. I'm sure everyone will say, what the heck is this?

Thanks for referring to your tomato and bean concoction as stew and not chili:):):)lol

Thanks, Aaron. Your recipe is awesome. I just can't believe how vibrant the color is considering what the chiles look like in the bag.

Cornbread is also ready - I posted pics in that thread.

I am having a hard time waiting until the game to tear into this stuff.

The chili was fantastic and a big hit at the Super Bowl party! The squirt of lime really made the flavors pop. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Aaron.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The chili was fantastic and a big hit at the Super Bowl party! The squirt of lime really made the flavors pop. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Aaron.

Thanks Stephen, glad it was a hit. That squirt of lime is also good on tacos. Very traditional Mexican. Give it a try next time on beef, chicken or pulled pork tacos.

Top Bottom