What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yep, whenever a chili is toasted the aroma somehow makes it to Texas.

Then you must off smelt the paste is made. :001_smile

$20160925_094348.jpg

​ftfy ~ Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I had to stop while dicing the onions to take a photo of the Tui's that were sing in my trees. Photo taken and posted in the DR.
Now I'm back to browning the chuck steak.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Those birds are pretty cool. I think they smelled your Texas Red cooking.

Well the smell was wafting all the way up to Texas. :lol:

I know you use a feeder to attract birds. I have some native trees that the birds love the flowers. I'm sure the Tui's get drunk from the nectar.

OK back on track. The pot is in the oven for a low and slow cook down.

Meat.

$20160925_125727.jpg

Meat, onion, pepper paste before adding the stock.

$20160925_130138.jpg

ready to simmer.

$20160925_131043.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh boy (rubbing hands together) hubba, hubba!!

You sure now what to do Chris. I'd take you to a chili Cookoff any time.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Oh boy (rubbing hands together) hubba, hubba!!

You sure now what to do Chris. I'd take you to a chili Cookoff any time.

I would be honored.

Without further ado. My bowl of red and some cornbread.
It had a nice subtle smoke flavour and was well balance IMO.
So what was different from the base recipe. 6 x Morita peppers and 3 x Chipotle pepper for a bit of smoke flavour, 1 teaspoon hot pimenton and a some Indian chilli powder to add heat. Piloncillo in place of brown sugar and used no Masa Harina for thickening.
Verdict, the chilli was very nice if I say so myself. The cornbread was ok.

$20160925_172948.jpg

$20160925_173133.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Owen. I think it is my best so far.......then again the bowl in your hands, is always the best so far. :001_smile
Nature of the beast. We cook something, think it's good, and think of how to make it better. We tweak it, cook, eat and repeat. But when that bowl is in your hand, it is the best ever- until the next time :biggrin:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Day two chilli for the win.
Now I'm going on record to say I'm not a big cornbread fan. It must be the kiwi boy in me but some buttered fresh soft white bread for me thanks.
I hope you guys will still talk to me.:biggrin:

$20160926_164920.jpg

Day two chilli for the win.
Now I'm going on record to say I'm not a big cornbread fan. It must be the kiwi boy in me but some buttered fresh soft white bread for me thanks.
I hope you guys will still talk to me.:biggrin:

View attachment 691181

Looks good to me, Chris. I can't speak for the overwhelming amount of Texans here in the Mess Hall, but the chili is what's important and boy does that look amazing.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Had a little Hatch chile and carne picanta left over so I cooked up a pot yesterday. I love it on scrambled eggs! Vacuum sealed and froze a couple of containers 'for emergencies'.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have rehydrated some peppers and blended them for 'Ron.
8 x Morita, 5 x Dried Chipotle, 8 x Guajillo, 8 x California & 6 x dried Habanero peppers.

$20161020_182103.jpg

$20161020_182117.jpg

$20161020_202024.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, you're at it again? The color on that can only exist in nature. I suspect you'll freeze this batch for future chili adventures. I could be wrong though.

Did you strain that?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I can be in NZ by 3am :)

I'm making a big pot, see you soon.

Chris, you're at it again? The color on that can only exist in nature. I suspect you'll freeze this batch for future chili adventures. I could be wrong though.

Did you strain that?

Yes it's chilli time.
I have a friend coming down to visit from Dorkland....sorry Auckland this weekend. He was there when I made my first bowl of red approx. 20 years ago. It was a very nice chilli and hot as hell, I thought it would be nice to give him a taste of the real McCoy. This will be made as a double batch and if we don't pig out on it, the left overs will be frozen down.
I blended it and left it sitting in the blender for half an hour then gave it another burst before straining. Don't know if the added soak time helped but there was not much left in the strainer.

Now I've been thinking of this adding more powder late in the cook, a dump I believe you call it.
Well I may reserve some of the pepper paste to do that with about half an hour to go instead of using powder. I was not going to add the habanero to the pot later, as I was thinking of doing a two pot chilli but through it in anyway, I think it will be ok as I took the seeds and stems out. Oh well if it's too hot for the girls I'll tell them to go make their own. :a46:
A boys and girls pot sounds like it may be the order of the day. I will taste test it and if needing more heat, I will split it half way through the cook and drop some fire in the pepper heads pot. I have a good amount of the dried habanero on hand if needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom