What's new

Can you use a straight razor if you're left handed?

I am a leftie and missing 2/3s of my left index finger, yet I have no problems with my straights.

(other than trying to perfect my honing:blushing:)

Another lefty without any problems.
If you are still timid with your right
hand, practice by removing lather
from your face with a butter knife.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
"Nurse, this patient has a bullet lodged between his anterior cingulate cortex and his corpus callosum. I better go in with my non-dominant hand."
-Said no neurosurgeon ever

I am a lefty and have no issues, I have only been shaving straight for about 6-7 weeks and initially had some coordination issues switching hands but in the end developed my own method of madness for getting my DFS shave, can't quite get BBS on the neck due to the way my hair grows so I have accepted that but get pretty much a BBS in the other areas and have been working on my technique to reduce some redness from being alittle to aggressive when I'm in a hurry

Of course, western style razors are evenly ground, they do make right and left handed kamisori.

The traditional way to use a kamisori is to always have the ura side showing (where the makers marks are)

right dominant but I use my left hand for the left side of my face, I belive this to be technically correctly however I don't know where I picked that notion up. As an interesting side note samurai where taught to fight with a right dominant stance even when they where left handed and that practice is continued in most kendo schools... This being said being Japanese I'm sure there are schools that did the opposite just to be difficult

IMO proper technique involves using both hands equally. Whether your strong side is left or right makes zero difference. Your right side, or my left side, just take a bit more practice.

Top Bottom