What's new

Can you use a straight razor if you're left handed?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Many moons ago, that was the very first questioned I asked about straight razors. The kamisori is a single bevel razor that has a front and a back side, but every other straight razor is symmetrical and can be used equally well with the right or left hand.

Yes! That's the good news.

But since you're left-handed, you may find your right to be more problematic. With practice, though, both hands can shave your face equally well.

Teach yourself with your right hand. You will be more cautious and bleed less. Your dominant left will learn from your right hand. Always start with your right. In the end you will shave equally with both.

ouch

But since you're left-handed, you may find your right to be more problematic. With practice, though, both hands can shave your face equally well.

I would avoid most advice given by right handed people, who tend to live in a world complete unaware of the existence of lefties. Why would this be any more problematic than a righty learning to use his left hand?

Teach yourself with your right hand. You will be more cautious and bleed less. Your dominant left will learn from your right hand. Always start with your right. In the end you will shave equally with both.

See above. This is completely bass ackwards, and reminiscent of the technique of old Catholic nuns regarding handwriting.

I would avoid most advice given by right handed people, who tend to live in a world complete unaware of the existence of lefties. Why would this be any more problematic than a righty learning to use his left hand?

I didn't mean to imply that it would be more difficult than a righty using his left hand. I assume all off-hands are equally problematic.

See above. This is completely bass ackwards, and reminiscent of the technique of old Catholic nuns regarding handwriting.

You misunderstand. I should use the word dominant hand instead of right or left. Teach yourself with your non-dominant hand which will be more cautious. The dominant hand will learn from the non-dominant hand easily. Not so in the reverse.

There are enough people here that shave with both left & right hands as well as those that shave with only their dominant hand that being left-handed or right-handed is a complete non-issue.

ouch

You misunderstand. I should use the word dominant hand instead of right or left. Teach yourself with your non-dominant hand which will be more cautious. The dominant hand will learn from the non-dominant hand easily. Not so in the reverse.

Would you teach yourself to pitch with your non-dominant arm, or write with your non-dominant hand? Is it not fair to say that the novice straight razor user has enough on his plate just trying to shave with his good hand?

Sorry, but the argument "Hey, I never ran an insanely sharp blade freehand against my face, so I better use the hand that can't operate the TV remote" will never convince me. :lol:

Would you teach yourself to pitch with your non-dominant arm, or write with your non-dominant hand? Is it not fair to say that the novice straight razor user has enough on his plate just trying to shave with his good hand?

Sorry, but the argument "Hey, I never ran an insanely sharp blade freehand against my face, so I better use the hand that can't operate the TV remote" will never convince me. :lol:

Of course not. But I am not trying to become an ambidextrous writer or thrower. However if I were to learn basketball again I would focus strongly on my non-dominant hand for dribbling and shooting. Mac O'Grady widely considered a golf swing wonderkind made all his swing changes left handed and then applied them to his right handed game.

To relate back to shaving, the dominant hands confidence can generate overly aggressive strokes that the more cautious non-dominant hand won't.

Last edited:
Interesting conversation! As a leftie, I have no issues related to dominant / non-dominant hand use. I don't see why it should be a concern. BTW, I do use both hands to shave and notice that my non-dominant hand tends to get more nicks when I go too fast.

So is there anybody who uses only their non-dominant hand to shave with?
I am left handed and use both hands with str8s.

If I ran a shaving boot camp, I would get everybody to shave with a half-blade shavette using only their non-dominant hand.
After a week their technique would be perfect...

Absolutely, just make sure you buy a left handed straight razor.
Do know that they are really rare and quite difficult to find.

You'll need a left handed strop as well, so you'll probably have to special order that one.

I'm kidding, good luck.

Last edited:

+1! just said the same thing in another post.if it works it works

Non-dominant hand shaving sure does wake me up in the morning. I am having just as much difficulty with the dominant eye when shaving non dominant side.

Okay thanks guys, was just checking because the guy at Mr Shave in WA said it would be a problem.
Could not see how but thought it worth checking

Okay thanks guys, was just checking because the guy at Mr Shave in WA said it would be a problem............

Is he a Righty?

While I think it is important to get the off-hand in use as quickly as possible, I think that the very first "blade to skin" should be with the good hand for safety's sake. Then both hands should be used equally on the face, giving no regard to if you are dexterous or sinister.

Well, us lefties know how to use righty scissors, guitars, you name it.. I think we could figure out straights ;)

Remember struggling to learn to tie your shoes from your parents and then your left handed uncle shows you and it is simple? Same idea, but not really [emoji14]

Good luck!

Top Bottom