What's new

What's Your Favorite House?

Well?

Mine would probably be Dior. Their Exclusive line is gorgeous and their designer line is consistently strong 8's thru 10's. :thumbup1:

I'm actually more into the nose (perfumer) than the individual house. I know I like a lot of fragrances made by Annick Menardo and Olivier Polge. Menardo is known for Bvlgari Black, Boss Bottled, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, Body Kouros by YSL, Visit by Azzaro, etc. Polge is known for Dior Homme, Salvatore Ferragamo F line, Valentino Uomo, Midnight in Paris Van Cleef and Arpels, Spicebomb, etc

I'm actually more into the nose (perfumer) than the individual house. I know I like a lot of fragrances made by Annick Menardo and Olivier Polge. Menardo is known for Bvlgari Black, Boss Bottled, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, Body Kouros by YSL, Visit by Azzaro, etc. Polge is known for Dior Homme, Salvatore Ferragamo F line, Valentino Uomo, Midnight in Paris Van Cleef and Arpels, Spicebomb, etc
I'm with you on perfumers because it is interesting to see how they work. On a purely functional level, Annick Goutal, Guerlain, Serge Lutens and Comme Des Garcons are all houses that produce incredible scents created by excellent perfumers.

Last edited:
Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. For the most part their vintage formulations. There a few exceptions to this also. Such as Santal Noble. I find the reformulation to lack that rather deep coffee note on the opening, but I find a little more depth and longevity in the sandalwood on the bottom. A few others also. I have always thought that Aramis was an underrated fragrance line. Over the years they have marketed some fantastic fragrances. I never thought they got the respect they deserved.

My favorite has to be Frédéric Malle. I've tried all their scents, and I don't think they have a bad one. Some are not for me, but I still find them to be really solid and well balanced fragrances.

I also really like Lorenzo Villoresi's Piper Nigrum, but have some difficulties with most of his other frags, which make it more of a one scent-perfumer for me.

Out of Malle's perfumers, Jean-Claude Ellena's minimalistic approach to perfumes always appeals to me. I also enjoy his La Terre for Hérmès.

Last edited:
It's hard to choose one, the Dior Exclusive line is amazing but from the regular offerings I only love Eau Suavage. Malle and Creed also have many good offerings but I'm going with Chanel, Antaues, Cuir de Russie, Egoist, Egoist Platinum, No 5.

I may have answered differently in the past, but I think I would go with Tom Ford.

Grey Vetiver or Neroli Portofino in warmer weather and Oud Wood in cooler weather. Maybe some Tabacco Vanille or Plum Japonais thrown in on occasion.

Maybe Imaginary Authors. I like IA's offerings across the board more than any other house I can think of. Penhaligon's comes to mind, still. At one time I would have said C&S. If I were richer, Mazzolari.

I agree that Aramis is underrated as a house. Although some of its scents seem like flankers of a sort. The original Havana may be my favorite scent, ever. Devin, JHL are excellent. As well as the original and Tuscany.

I haven't had the same exposure as others.
But, of the assorted colognes in my den, I'd have to say it's a close race among Creed, SMN, Penhaligon, Amouage and Floris.
I might give the edge to SMN, each one of theirs is distinct, memorable and refined.

proxy.php

Aramis, Armani and Chanel I'd say.

I suppose looking at my collection Aramis might just tip it considering I own Aramis, Tuscany, Devin and Havana (multiple bottles of Havana and Aramis). However, I am having a bit of a love affair with Armani Eau Pour Homme at the moment, and their recent Eau D'Aromes is a rather nice fragrance too, which I'm also keen to possibly invest in.

As for Chanel, Egoiste is one of my favourites and I'm also quite partial to Pour Monsieur. I do like most of the Allure Homme ones too, with the Blanche edition being one I'd really recommend. I do like the Homme Sport but prefer it on others.

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. For the most part their vintage formulations. There a few exceptions to this also. Such as Santal Noble. I find the reformulation to lack that rather deep coffee note on the opening, but I find a little more depth and longevity in the sandalwood on the bottom. A few others also. I have always thought that Aramis was an underrated fragrance line. Over the years they have marketed some fantastic fragrances. I never thought they got the respect they deserved.

You have good taste, sir! MPeG has a fantastic catalogue of fragrances. Unfortunately, since Jean Laporte passed away the house has seemingly fell to the wayside. Poor marketing and advertising. Bad artistic direction (bottles look 1980s, oh wait...) and since IFRA (2000s) who has been reformulating their juice? Nonetheless, there stuff is still fantastic!!!

For those who don't know, Jean Laporte was the nose who started L'Artisan Perfumes, one of the very first niche fragrance houses going back to the 1970s. He sold it and started MPeG.

Top Bottom