What's new

Mild AS

I am a newb. I need help. So far I have Nivea balm, clubman, brut, and OS. I really like all of them. The Nivea is especially nice now that it is getting cold here in Chicago, but the scent is nothing to get excited about. The others have more of a strong scent that stays with me for quite some time. That's great for weekends, but I am on the medical field and strong scents are not always welcome. What AS splashes and balms have a very subtle scent that will not offend people when I am in close proximity? Thanks for the help!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I haven't tried many AS, but AOS Unscented Post Shave Balm was pretty nice. It still has a slight sent, but it was a very mild, neutral sent. I prefer the Nivea Balm, though.

My Stirling Aftershave, Splash and Balm have a very nice healing effect and smell great. My girlfriend says she can only smell it on me when she is a few inches from my face, so if that's what you mean then yes.

Geo. F. Trumper Limes Skin Food. The refreshing lime scent is incredibly fleeting. It is, however, a highly effective post-shave treatment. It is non-oily, very soothing and leaves your freshly shaven face moisturised and protected. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

The Trumpers is good stuff. It gets a lot of love here, plus, you gotta love the name.

Geo. F. Trumper Limes Skin Food. The refreshing lime scent is incredibly fleeting. It is, however, a highly effective post-shave treatment. It is non-oily, very soothing and leaves your freshly shaven face moisturised and protected. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I'm in the same boat, 90% of AS's I've used I find much too strong-scented. Speick is a very mild scent that doesn't linger much. It also helps that it's the most healing, best feeling AS I've ever used. Can't recommend it highly enough (there are countless threads on this forum suggesting the same).

I have seen quite a bit on speick, perhaps it is time to give it a try. Would you say it is a better alternative to thayers WH, which I have also seen mentioned quite a bit?

Try 4711. It's old school, has a fresh lemon scent and doesn't linger more than an hour. Plus, you can pick it up at Bed Bath & Beyond stores that have a beauty section.

Or, since you live in Chicago, Merz Apothecary/Q Brothers probably has it.

Afta is a nice balm, with a mild pleasant scent.

I always have some in my den and there used to be 2 distinct scents. Original and Fresh if I'm not mistaken. But those linger oon me so you might want to try the other 2 Nivea balms. Plus I'll ditto thre unscented AOS; I have the sandalwood and the quality is there, just a tad pricey.

I have seen quite a bit on speick, perhaps it is time to give it a try. Would you say it is a better alternative to thayers WH, which I have also seen mentioned quite a bit?

I'd say "yes", as Speick contains some witch hazel. Very soothing, nice sharp aroma (sort of woody/ferny to me) but very mild.

For the mild astringency one wants in an AS, Max LS Skin Recharging Water Lotion. Follow with a balm, like eShave white tea. Then a very light spritz of a good light EDT such as Polo Double Black

I'd also recommend Speick, both the splash and the balm, very mild scent and very nice on the face.

Captain's Choice Sandalwood is very lightly scented if you're looking for a sandalwood scent.

--Bob

Top Bottom