What's new

Glycerin Soap Tutorial - Part 1

Ok, folks, here we go. I took a lot of pictures, so I think I am going to break this article into two parts to make it easier. This part is the "before" section, where I will try and illustrate what I used to do and some of the issues.

I decided to use a tub of QED sandalwood and my Savile row SR212 brush to make things more challenging. I find the sandalwwod a bit harder to get lather out of than the lime, etc. Perhaps it is some interaction with the sandalwood EO, or perhaps I am just imagining things. The Savile Row is a soft-bristled brush which in principle should make things harder. I think you'll see there is no real barrier, though. With my SMF brush the lather literally explodes, so if you can learn with softer, less-dense bristles, you'll be in great shape.

Remember, this part is on what the issues are, not what to do better! Stay tuned for Part 2 which describes the method.

Here is the soap and my lathering bowl:
full

Soaking the brush:
full

I love the way I can stand up the brush while it soaks.

Start swirling:
full

I would swirl around 15-20 times, until the brush was loaded with soap:
full

(It looks a bit dry here, but that is just the time it took to take the picture)

Then hit the lathering bowl for about 45 seconds to a minute.

After a few swirls:
IMG_1226_1_1.JPG

and after a minute or so:
IMG_1229_2_1.JPG

Looks pretty decent, right? Wrong! This lather is under-hydrated and over-aerated. On my palm, it looks like this:
IMG_1232_2_1.JPG

and squeezed:
IMG_1235_1_1.JPG

I'll put some on my arm (so you don't have to see my ugly mug):
full

After a few minutes, it looks like this:
full

Dried out and disappearing fast. I would continually have the problem of the lather literally disintegrating as I shaved. by the time I got to the end, there was basically no lather on my face!

So this is what I used with varying degrees of success, for many months. I would get adequate shaves, but nothing approaching what I could get with a cream. Very disappointing.

Over a few weeks, I really played around, taking suggestions from people on this board. I came up with some techniques and theories which have really changed the way I think about soaps. Stay tuned for Part 2 when I will show you the dramatic difference!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see lots of Qs re the glycerine soaps.
Here's part 1 of 2 that I find to be GREAT!
From the depths
Tom

What not to do, this should be a must read/view for newbies. I'll bet many have had lather just like this.

I've been getting turned on to glycerine soap lately with my Col. Conk amber. I'm not sure if it is the particular product (amber has avocado and vitamin E) or if it is the glycerine vs. tallow soap, but I am getting great results with the least irritation so far using this product. :thumbup:
Are there any other glycerine soaps worth mentioning in the price range of Col. Conk's?

Scotto, your method looks similar to mine although I face lather after whipping in my bowl for a minute. Then, I wipe the lather from the brush on each pass into my bowl which I float in the hot sink water while I shave. I don't think others do this much, but I like the warmed lather and it seems to stay "activated" because of the warming affect in the bowl. I just plunge and re-lather my brush in the bowl with my brush to reload.

I'm new to wet shaving. If you build your lather in a bowl, do you rub it on your face with your hands or do you still use a brush? :confused: I used your method from the second tutorial to build lather on my brush and built the lather on my face. Had tons of soap left over after 4 passes. And that's using a cheap $8 soap and brush set from Walmart.

I'm new to wet shaving. If you build your lather in a bowl, do you rub it on your face with your hands or do you still use a brush? :confused: I used your method from the second tutorial to build lather on my brush and built the lather on my face. Had tons of soap left over after 4 passes. And that's using a cheap $8 soap and brush set from Walmart.

If you bowl lather, you use the brush to put the lather on your face. Good luck and welcome to the world of wet shaving.

Yup,

I've had this exact issue in the past. I was using MWF which has fantastic reviews. I was really disappointed & thinking I MUST be doing something wrong. I was bumming my learning curve would take months. Those pictures confirm it. :cursing: Somebody else had the same problem & 7 years later this is still pertinent.

Hey...................... there is an easy solution! :thumbup: Keep reading!

I had been using Superlather to surmount this problem but was concerned I was using twice as much product on a daily basis. Now I used your method & had the lather simply JUMP out of the bowl. Problem solved.

Thanks Scotto.

Last edited:
Top Bottom