What's new

Do I really want MdC for Christmas?

Hey folks, looking for a little advice -

Looks like I'm going to get through GRU-Christmas successfully, and am thinking about getting myself a treat. It was going to be MdC, but now I'm not so sure. I have Catie's Bubbles LPV and several pucks of Tiki, which I've read are pretty close in performance. Quite frankly, I like B&M, MWF and Haslinger Schafmilch much better, particularly the post-shave feel (Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood is not too far behind). I'm thinking it might be the tallow/lanolin thing.

So, is MdC's performance that much better? And the fougere or the unscented? I'm willing to plunk down the cheddar for it; after all, it is Christmas! But I'm also looking at some alternatives: more Haslinger, Gillette 7OC Permasharps, Mike's Hungarian Lavender.

I know it's YMMV, but I'd be thankful for anyone who's willing to share their thoughts.

Thanks!

I had a sample of it, and enjoyed it a lot, I personally found Dr. Selby to perform equally but not smell quite the same. YMMV

I suggest buying MdC in a JAR! then you can sell the jar on here or elsewhere for quite a bit.

OR you can buy it, split it in half, sell the other half and then have enough to last you a good 150+ shaves!

The "tallow lanolin [clay] thing" makes the different soaps apples and oranges, IMO. I like oranges, no contest, but acknowledge the comparison is between different sorts of things.

MdC is beautifully simple, minimal ingredients... lathers while you're not looking, rinses away like it was never there.

Mike's (for example) is slicker, leaves residual slickness on your skin for buffing or touch ups without relathering, has more "skin conditioning" after the shave, is more protective if you use pressure or harsh blades...

To me, both excellent but Mike's is clearly better. But I get why someone might prefer an automatic-fast lather and super easy clean rinse, or prefer one's scent options... or apples.

Now owning MdC, Mike's Natural and Catie's Bubbles, I am of the opinion that MdC, while excellent, does not provide a better shave than either Catie's Bubbles or Mike's Natural.

I suggest buying MdC in a JAR! then you can sell the jar on here or elsewhere for quite a bit.

OR you can buy it, split it in half, sell the other half and then have enough to last you a good 150+ shaves!

My den is a black hole. Nothing ever leaves...

The "tallow lanolin [clay] thing" makes the different soaps apples and oranges, IMO. I like oranges, no contest, but acknowledge the comparison is between different sorts of things.

MdC is beautifully simple, minimal ingredients... lathers while you're not looking, rinses away like it was never there.

Mike's (for example) is slicker, leaves residual slickness on your skin for buffing or touch ups without relathering, has more "skin conditioning" after the shave, is more protective if you use pressure or harsh blades...

To me, both excellent but Mike's is clearly better. But I get why someone might prefer an automatic-fast lather and super easy clean rinse, or prefer one's scent options... or apples.

I like apples, oranges, and mangoes...which one is mangoes?

Now owning MdC, Mike's Natural and Catie's Bubbles, I am of the opinion that MdC, while excellent, does not provide a better shave than either Catie's Bubbles or Mike's Natural.

And that's why I'm getting more hesitant about pulling the trigger on MdC. The cost of one jar can get me a lot of other stuff...

$oie_Jm7qiWr1HX9M.jpg

And that's why I'm getting more hesitant about pulling the trigger on MdC. The cost of one jar can get me a lot of other stuff...
Yup. I don't think the value is there. You can buy three Mike's Natural soaps for less than one MdC.

Yup. I don't think the value is there. You can buy three Mike's Natural soaps for less than one MdC.

One jar of MDC will last longer that 3 tins of Mike's. The value is there.

I think every wetshaver should experience MDC. Is it the best? Maybe. Maybe not. But there is nothing else like it. With the Christmas sale they are having (10% off) I suggest you treat yourself to a jar of both the regular scent & fougere.

Now, now...no enabling. Two is not an option. I'll be going up to Old Town Shaving and picking up a jar, if I decide to get a jar.

@ wagstaff: I don't like peaches, so it's gotta be mangoes.

Top Bottom