What's new

ATT S2 slant bar VS lkon slant bar

No, why should I?

How about dry shave than? Is this what you are looking for in the shave?

Quote "My six years experience with straight razor tells me that there is no DE razor which can come even close to quality of shave I can get from straight."

Last edited:
Forger muhle or whatever guys. Att slant or Ikon slant?

Over the past few days I've used only the ATT S2. There's been something missing about this razor that I couldn't quite put my finger on until I used the Ikon this morning - audible feedback (or lack thereof). The Ikon is one "noisy" razor in that the sound when removing stubble through each pass is quite loud. It has been this way since day one and that was the "wow, so this is the way a slant shaves!" moment that the ATT lacks.

The ATT S2 is a fairly quiet razor. There's nowhere near as much audible feedback and I wouldn't know the difference between it and my other ATT OC plates if it didn't say S2 on it (i.e., I wouldn't know it was a slant).

Compared to each other, the shaves are pretty even. Both are effective, BBS with two passes, each could easily be my daily shaver with no problem.

Comparing the razors visually, the Ikon has that severe twist in the head, making it an interesting looking razor. The ATT has a very subtle twist in its slant design.

For me, it's still pretty much a toss up as to which I prefer. They're both very efficient, both give a BBS shave, but I'd give a slight edge to the Ikon due to the audible feedback.

It's hard to suggest to someone else which one to get. Consider: OC vs SB? Availability? Customer Service? Company reputation?

Keep in mind I have the Gen 1 Ikon, not the DLC.

Hope this helps in some way.

Over the past few days I've used only the ATT S2. There's been something missing about this razor that I couldn't quite put my finger on until I used the Ikon this morning - audible feedback (or lack thereof). The Ikon is one "noisy" razor in that the sound when removing stubble through each pass is quite loud. It has been this way since day one and that was the "wow, so this is the way a slant shaves!" moment that the ATT lacks.

The ATT S2 is a fairly quiet razor. There's nowhere near as much audible feedback and I wouldn't know the difference between it and my other ATT OC plates if it didn't say S2 on it (i.e., I wouldn't know it was a slant).

Compared to each other, the shaves are pretty even. Both are effective, BBS with two passes, each could easily be my daily shaver with no problem.

Comparing the razors visually, the Ikon has that severe twist in the head, making it an interesting looking razor. The ATT has a very subtle twist in its slant design.

For me, it's still pretty much a toss up as to which I prefer. They're both very efficient, both give a BBS shave, but I'd give a slight edge to the Ikon due to the audible feedback.

It's hard to suggest to someone else which one to get. Consider: OC vs SB? Availability? Customer Service? Company reputation?

Keep in mind I have the Gen 1 Ikon, not the DLC.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thank you lunchman! that's exactly what this thread is about. Appreciate that

No problem guys. I was a bit mystified re: the straight edge and dry shaving comments also, but we'll leave it at that.

One other thing I should mention if you haven't seen it in other threads on the Ikon, is the blade sometimes needs to be aligned with your thumbnail to get it parallel to the top cap (done with the cap slightly loosened). It's sometimes complained about re: Ikon blade alignment but to me it's no big deal.

The ATT S2 seats the blade with no adjustment necessary, but the difference between it and the Ikon is the blade is parallel to the comb on the S2 and not the top cap, leaving more blade exposure on end of the blade than the other. At first I thought this was somewhat odd as my RR Slant seats the blade parallel to the top cap as well. It's just the design chosen by Stan for the ATT slant and in no way affects the shave. Just something to keep in mind.

They're both well engineered and quality is superb. I don't know if you're looking for the DLC Ikon or want the Gen 1 Ikon which might be more difficult to find. Of course the ATT is readily available.

Good luck with your decisions. You won't go wrong with either one.

Excellent question, I also been wondering how does R41, Merkur, Muhle and "don't buy a razor" relates to ATT and Ikon :001_huh:

OK, since you have made clear you want to pick either the ATT or the iKon slant, my response is: ATT S2. It is a magnificent shaver. I don't have an iKon and I never will.
Good luck with your choice!

No problem guys. I was a bit mystified re: the straight edge and dry shaving comments also, but we'll leave it at that.

One other thing I should mention if you haven't seen it in other threads on the Ikon, is the blade sometimes needs to be aligned with your thumbnail to get it parallel to the top cap (done with the cap slightly loosened). It's sometimes complained about re: Ikon blade alignment but to me it's no big deal.

The ATT S2 seats the blade with no adjustment necessary, but the difference between it and the Ikon is the blade is parallel to the comb on the S2 and not the top cap, leaving more blade exposure on end of the blade than the other. At first I thought this was somewhat odd as my RR Slant seats the blade parallel to the top cap as well. It's just the design chosen by Stan for the ATT slant and in no way affects the shave. Just something to keep in mind.

They're both well engineered and quality is superb. I don't know if you're looking for the DLC Ikon or want the Gen 1 Ikon which might be more difficult to find. Of course the ATT is readily available.

Good luck with your decisions. You won't go wrong with either one.

Lunchman - great review - substantive and on-point.
I'll only add that I have both the Ikon slant original and DLC. I could sum up the differences in how they shave in two words - practically identical. But there are some subtle differences worth noting beyond the obvious coating.
-- Blade alignment is easier with the DLC. Not that the original is hard, but there is a bit less wiggle room with the DLC and the black coloring makes it very easy to see if the blade is aligned.
-- The latest version of the DLC has a matte finish, which looks quite nice and feels very pleasant against the skin (IMO)
-- I find the DLC is a tiny bit smoother and less aggressive but also a tiny bit less close than the original. I've done several side by side tests, and these results were fairly consistent but there were times where the original was just as smooth and the DLC just as close. As I said, a tiny difference,but just enough to note.

I have not tried ATT's and would love to do so. But for now, the Ikon slant is my favorite DE - the best combo of a very close shave without a ton of aggressiveness. Customer service has been great as well, and they were extremely responsive to a program I needed to raise. Yes, I still get closer with my straight, but that's with more time, concentration, and room for error.

Last edited:
I used the IKON Gen 1 slant for a period of time last year. Blade alignment was a pain, but nothing too terrible. I like to open my razor after each shave to make it easier for the water to drain and to reduce contact of the blade with the razor itself. The IKON was not meant for that. The shave itself was very nice. The head of the razor is BIG. Very strange at first. Never could get into the tight spots around my nose. Ultimately, I sold it and switched to the ATT system. All in all I would say that I really liked the IKON slant, but didn't love it.

I shaved with the ATT R1 exclusively for most of last year. It gives me a great shave with a single WTG pass. I have to shave carefully with the R1 or else I pay in blood.

Which brings me to the S2. The S2 has a bit of magic about it. I can shave quickly and carefree. No worries about major injury or ER visits. Yet, I get the same (if not better) great shave with a single WTG pass that I get with my R1. Feedback is a brisk staccato of sound. Great shave. Great razor.

I currently have an iKon Slant Gen 1, Shavecraft 102, and ATT S2. I know you didn't mention the Shavecraft, but I'll throw it in as a bonus.

Efficiency
All three of these razors are efficient razors. I'd rate the ATT S2 and iKon Slant as equal and both having a slight edge over the Shavecraft 102.

Smoothness
All three are smooth. The iKon is more demanding of technique where the ATT S2 and Shavecraft are very intuitive to the point of being effortless, so they edge out the iKon Slant initially. Once you dial in the iKon Slant this could be a non-issue.

Alignment
Both the ATT S2 and Shavecraft 102 are easy to align. In the case of the Shavecraft it is impossible to set the blade without aligning it properly. As mentioned the iKon Slant takes a bit more work.

Head Design
Although the head designs are all different they all work well. The hump of the iKon Slant does make it more challenging to shave right under your nose, and I've nicked myself before trying to make it work. The smaller profile heads of the ATT and Shavecraft do not have this issue.

Build Quality
Depends on what you want here. ATT is machined stainless. iKon is sintered metal with a coating. Shavecraft is, I believe, sintered aluminum with a coating (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong here). I give the nod to ATT here because if you scratch the coating on the iKon or Shavecraft you can't polish it out. In fact the iKon Slant Gen 1 was found to have some kind of copper colored coating underneath the silver one that was discovered by someone trying to polish his slant. There is a new "B1" matte coating for the iKon Slant that is supposed to resist scratching and chippping. I have not been able to find any reports about this coating's durability.

Aestethics
Up to you. I think they all look really cool. :001_smile

S2 feels like a rake on my face to me. The S1 on the other hand is incredibly comfortable and efficient. Even holding the S2 there are sharp points all over it or at least it feels that way to me. Could have been easy to fix because of the thickness of the baseplate....rounding the open combs like the Ikon 101 does or the Fatip or the Parker OC. Would improve this plate. Maybe generation 2 or 3 will address this, or maybe not.

Hi,

Hmmm. I did notice in a few pics of the OC variant where it looked like a little file work dressing the edges of the comb teeth might be in order. This confirms what I thought. Normally, things like this do not bother me as I have to do this on things I make in my machine shop. But, to pay what these cost and then have to dress them seems to be a bit much.....

Stan

Top Bottom