What's new

Why Always CONUS

As a non-conus member I've bought things on the BST and am grateful that some sellers are willing, given a trip to the post office is required. I understand not everyone can be bothered with a trip to the post office.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Another reason why some only will ship CONUS, is because there is no such thing as tracking or verifying the package was received by the buyer across the pond. A receiving person could say that they never received it, even if they did. And there would be no way for the seller to verify it either way.

Not saying a B&B Member would do this, I'm just saying it is a possible risk for the seller, when shipping outside of CONUS.

Might I suggest a sticky or wiki regarding various shipping options for people? I think many people assume that it's a much larger hassle/expense than it actually is. I know that if you can fit things into a bubble envelope and keep the declared value low, there is only a quite marginal increase in expense which the buyer is almost always happy to absorb!

I think in kits worth encouraging people to consider exploring and expanding their international shipping options.

This community is much richer for spanning the globe and being international in its composition. I strongly propose international sub-boards (Europe, Antipodes, South America etc) to help make the non CONUS communities more effective. This might also help US servicemen stationed abroad and the many expatriate members.

In 99% of the cases, CONUS refers only to the price quoted.
Some people won't ship internationally, but most will just ask you to cover the difference in shipping if you ask nicely.

This, I don't mind shipping internationally, but the price I quote includes US shipping only, outside that will require additional cost on the part of the buyer, as well as their acceptance of any additional fees such as brokerage fees, etc.

if someone states CONUS that is typically the reason, and if you're international, a simple inquiry with the understanding that you'll be paying more may be all that's needed, as well as accepting the possibility of additional risk due to changing hands between carriers, etc.

those who refuse to ship somewhere, is typically because of past bad experiences. which sucks, but I can understand their hesitation.

Another reason why some only will ship CONUS, is because there is no such thing as tracking or verifying the package was received by the buyer across the pond. A receiving person could say that they never received it, even if they did. And there would be no way for the seller to verify it either way.

Not saying a B&B Member would do this, I'm just saying it is a possible risk for the seller, when shipping outside of CONUS.
I think Priority Mail Express has international tracking but it comes at a ridiculous price. The Royal Mail in the UK offers an international tracked and signed service for as little as £9.75 though, so I'm not sure why the USPS can't do the same? In fact, I recently sent a parcel from Thailand to France with tracking and confirmed delivery, for the princely sum of $5 so I can't understand why the USPS charges around $45 for the same service.

Last edited:
I think Priority Mail Express has international tracking but it comes at a ridiculous price. The Royal Mail in the UK offers an international tracked and signed service for as little as £9.75 though, so I'm not sure why the USPS can't do the same? In fact, I recently sent a parcel from Thailand to France with tracking and confirmed delivery, for the princely sum of $5 so I can't understand why the USPS charges around $45 for the same service.

Yes, this is my experience. A hefty fee for tracking international parcels. You can ship first class intl for half the price, yet no tracking or insurance. It's a gamble that some are willing to take. I can understand those that don't. If the buyer is willing to agree to terms of either, I don't see a problem.

This ^^^. There's no protection for buyer or seller when shipping outside the CONUS. The only exceptions I tend to make are for active military service members and a couple of friends in the Great White North with whom I've done lots of trades or sales with. Also, shipping to Canada has gotten a bit pricey.

Make sure to only accept PayPal because if a non-CONUS member claims to have not received the package, PayPal will accept the customs number from the customs form that you filled out as a substitute for tracking information as proof that you sent the package. If PayPal does side with the buyer, they will, at least in my case, eat the cost of refunding the money themselves.

Mailing to Canada and overseas has always been a hassle, primarily due to the Customs forms...and in the past the necessity to stand in line at the USPS.

That said, I discovered yesterday during a transaction in BST that the process of mailing to Canada has become much easier, and I can do it from my USPS online account. So, I now include shipping to Canada.

As a Canadian I have dealt with a lot of people shipping stuff from the USA.

Time: Normally they have to wait in line at the post office then fill out forms of some sort (the bigger the box the bigger the form) and finally mail it.

Price: It simply costs more to ship to Canada and worldwide.

Tracking and lost items: A lot of people here mentioned USPS First class. There is no tracking available with this service. Items have to be sent Flat rate box to get a tracking number. A small box is around $22 to Canada and $25 o $28 to the rest of the world. A medium box is around $42 to Canada and around $48? to the rest of the world. Many people are simply unwilling to pay these prices and balk and cry and demand it be sent first class. Once the item is truly lost (or claimed lost) they demand a refund. Once a seller is burned they rarely come back around.

I figured I'd revive this thread in the light of recent experiences as good examples of why people only want to ship CONUS. I was burned in the past but recently have tried to be more reasonable and sometimes it's worked out. But on two different occasions -- not necessarily on BST -- I've advertised something as CONUS and had the following occur: Someone will say (for example) Instead of 2 soaps for $22 CONUS as I advertised, we'll negotiate to only one soap for $15. The person will send me $15 and insist it be sent to Canada despite nothing having been said. And he'll point out I didn't mention Canada in the emails to him despite the fact that the original ad we were basing our discussion on said CONUS and he never disclosed his Canadian location. I'll refund the money immediately even if it costs me, but then I endure email abuse as well as the hassle because I won't ship at the price.

It would be good if buyers were upfront and forthright about this. But adding to the usual problem of tire-kickers and time wasters, disputes about international shipping make it not worth the time to sell without outrageous markups. Frankly, if even one of ten transactions were like this, I wouldn't bother at all. And at the moment the percentage of hassle from Canadian buyers is now reaching one third for me. It sucks for the two-thirds who are above board, but unless the person buying makes everything clear to me upfront and accepts all the risks, I'll never again list anything as for sale other than CONUS.

Ebay's International Shipping program makes it every bit as easy as anything else. The seller is responsible for getting it to their distribution point, in the U.S., and that's it. So, the question as to WHY a seller doesn't do this has nothing to do with the efficiency or not of any given foreign post...it's irrational behavior, the roots of which are psychological.
I can have breakfast at home, and lunch on St. Laurent Street in Montreal. And yet, I say 90% of the people in this town have never gone, although they mostly have gone to New York City or Boston, which are about the same distance away. I chalk it up to a rather pervasive fear, including fear of unknown.

Ahhh! maybe this is why. Post office lines are crazy these days.
+1 on that.
I have an international package ready to send, for the first time in years. I figure I am in for a long line and quite a bit of Q & A at the USPS office, in addition to international shipping and customs forms. A formidable pain? Probably not. More than the 5-10 minutes it would take to ship something CONUS at the UPS store? Yes. Risking that some other country's customs will get curious and something will happen to the package, or that it may even be returned? Yes. It has happened.

Risking that some other country's customs will get curious and something will happen to the package, or that it may even be returned? Yes. It has happened.

Trust me, the thought of my packages going through US Customs is as frightening for me as your packages going through our customs.

I've lost a (fountain pen related) package twice since 1995, and both times that was a package to the USA. Not saying that US Customs is worse than others though.

I usually tell the seller I'm in Korea, our post system is excellent and I will assume all shipping and customs risk. Most of the time people are willing to sell to me. A few people didn't want to be bothered. I admit it's ironic when I'm buying something they bought internationally. My experiences is go ahead and ask, be upfront and most people will sell it to you.

Ever vendor registered on B&B I have done biz with has been great about shipping international.

In 99% of the cases, CONUS refers only to the price quoted.
Some people won't ship internationally, but most will just ask you to cover the difference in shipping if you ask nicely.

Me from Italy I will do so happily!

I personally don't find any fuss in shipping internationally. If there is PIF or a Trade and I can afford it, I simply do it for the sake of passion, sharing and caring.
If one day I will sell, no problem again until the point the buyer will pay the shipping costs.

Well, time and money are rare goods today but laziness is a bad beast.
:001_smile

And I'm speaking from the standpoint of view of Italian Posts, that are not the best worldwide.

Me too also I find many good chances vanishing because no finding enough deals for the ol' Europe.
:tongue_sm

Cheers!

PS: I have a long experience in international sales and shipping. Just few cases were problematic. Really problematic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom