What's new

Newbie with a dumb question

After years of wet shaving with a cartridge, I've decided to make the switch to a DE. I ordered a Merkur 34C and Merkur Super blades, but then I noticed several recommendations that newbies begin with sampler packs. How important is this?

Welcome, it is not written in stone , it is a suggestion because different blades work better for some people and in different razors. This lets you find what works best for you.

Hi and welcome. No dumb questions, I've asked plenty around here. It is very important to get a sampler to try different blades because not everyone acts the same for everybody, and from what I hear the merkurs aren't the most loved around here. Unless they work for you then go with them and no need for the sampler. I was able to try a few that my barber had before I settled with astra. Enjoy your shaves

Welcome. I'm a newbie myself but from my limited experience it's important. Everybody's beard and skin are different so everyone will need their own combo. The blades that I have just don't seem sharp enough to get the job done. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I am also new and just finished going through a sampler pack. - Each one was different. Some cut better than others, some cut great but also very rough of the face. - I recommend starting off with good starter pack. Just about all the online retailers offer them.

The sampler pack is a way to allow you to try different blades to see which works best for you. However, this will change as your skills improve. So a blade that is too sharp right now may be the one you prefer later. But that is something to worry about later. Right now, it is more important to pay attention to technique than ANYTHING else.

And welcome to B&B. There are some very helpful folks here.

Funny, and maybe we over think this stuff, but my very limited experience is that different blades work better with different razors. Edwin Jagger DE89L does great with an Astra Stainless ... my Fat Boy not so much ... it seems to work best (so far) with a Derby. I second (third) the sampler reco. And would also echo the "go slow and don't use pressure" advice.

Thats not a dumb question mate. It's pretty important for one to find the perfect blade that goes along with his type of skin and hair. Some blades are sharp and aggressive while others are mild, thats why you need a sampler. I can recommend you to try out an Astra SP razor, many people here use them, I used to use them in the past too but now I have switched to Permasharp razors.

Welcome to wild, wonderful world of DE shaving.

Since my indoctrination last month I can say that this is the best thing I ever did, except throwing the ex out, of course.

Sample packs allow to try many blades and see what works best. I bought a few sample packs and now have my Top 4 blades.

Now, in the essence of love, war, and the holiday spirit. I will PIF to you a 5 blade sampler. Send me a PM with your particulars.

Peace!

Any recommendations re best sample packs? I ask that knowing there's probably already a thread on this subject...

Top Bottom