What's new

Button fly jeans. Panic at the loo

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My first time wearing button fly jeans today.

For a split second I was in a panic..."Where's the zipper!"

I've always just pulled and it just opens, its the buttoning up part that takes longer, but the unbuttoning is pretty quick

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My initial panic was more in the sense of "What happened to the zipper?!"
Rather than "I can't get these undone fast enough!"

Oh yeah...button fly

The only down side is having to undo a belt in 501s, but from there, grab the top corner, pull out left and down.... All ya need, as fast as a zipper. And no "Something About Mary" moments.

and a useful feature I figured out in the woods and uniform was, pop a center button or two, and there is decent airflow into the area for cooling and fresher-ness.

Last edited:
I personally only have two pairs of jeans that have the button down fly. IMO one must Never wear them during long trips or any sort of travel. It's especially bothersome in airports.

I've always just pulled and it just opens, its the buttoning up part that takes longer, but the unbuttoning is pretty quick

This is my experience. I have some shorts that are button fly, and you can't do this as the buttons are sewn on and that would rip them off after a while. But the metal buttons on a pair of 501's aren't coming off any time soon.

LOL must be an under 40 guy. Most overalls have button fly and so does the Legendary 501's that we wore in High School after seeing the Hawked by Bruce Willis.

Interesting, back when I was in High School button fly was the rage. All the major jean companies had a line, this was back in the early to mid nineties. I had a few pairs of Guess and Girbaud that were button fly. I moved on to 501's because they are now one of the only ones left, not to mention I found a 75% off sale a number of years ago in a store that was going out of business...

But yea if you've worn zippers for a while it does take a moment's pause to remember what to do.

last suit I had made, I had button flies (is that the correct plural?!!) put in the pants that came with them. Got to the point where I prefer them if I have a choice.

It's not the opening that's the problem. It's the putting them back together after you're done peeing at a urinal. It bothers me, but I just stand there and carefully, controlled, putting the buttons back through the button holes. If you stand there with confidence nobody will bug you. If you start fidgeting around, you might weird people out.

I have zero trouble getting my pants open, but I like to attempt to use the urinal without untucking my shirt, undoing my belt. So the rebutton is always a surgical task afterwards.

Other than, "I feel ya" I don't know what else to say. Practice makes perfect. I can button my bib overalls much faster than I can button up a pair of snug 'fashion' jeans. 75% of the jeans I have are button fly and I've actually diverted into the stall to do #1 just because I knew that getting my pants back in order was going to take long enough to raise eyebrows at the urinal line.

Top Bottom