What's new

Got this from a friend...

I received this straight razor in the mail today from a friend and I have no clue what I have. I'm new to safety razors in general and know nothing about straights. So what would it take to restore this, cost and such. Or is it even worth trying to fix? Thanks to everyone in advance
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418419977.122675.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418419991.872273.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418420003.038492.jpg

Nice gift! That's a razor that is much in demand. But its in pretty tough shape. It will take quite a bit of work just to get the chip out and that will take off 1/8 inch or so. But YES, it should be restored. Look around for some hobbyist / restorers here. We don't talk prices on this forum, but that's a straight that should definitely be restored by you or someone else.

Since doc hasn't said it yet...

It's junk, send it my way for proper disposal.

I wish I had a friend like that. That's in imperfect shape but hay a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Very saveable and you'd still have a big blade.
The black line shows roughly how much steel you'd lose.
Yes, I really did take a pic of my monitor:blush:
$fbu-1.jpg

Last edited:
I would send it to someone with knife grinder to reprofile the edge. I took a 1/8" chip out of a Greaves and Sons in about 2 minutes with mine. Then a little time on a diamond plate and it was good as new.

Top Bottom