What's new

What's the most complicated, useless kitchen gadget out there?

Not complicated but a strawberry huller. I bet I can cap a basket of strawberries before anyone could even find one of those danged things.

I saw one for 12 dollars once, caused me to lose sleep wondering what crap I could sell for that price.

An avocado slicer:

$avocado.jpg

We actually got one of these about 20 years ago for a wedding shower gift. Used it one time, couldn't figure out how it was supposed to make life easier and threw it away instead of cleaning it. Electric vegetable peeler.
$image.jpg

You still have to peel the garlic, which often requires a knife.

I agree that garlic presses are pretty useless, but I feel obliged to point out that if you think a knife is helpful when peeling garlic, you should really be doing it a different way.

Separate a clove from the head and rub off any loose paper. Pinch the clove at the top and bottom and twist it back and forth a few times. The paper will crack and come loose at one or both ends. You can then just peel the remaining paper off with your fingertips or fingernails. As an added bonus, twisting the clove helps macerate it and release those tasty oils we all crave!

Worst case outcome (rarely happens to me) is that the clove breaks... but if you're about to chop or mash it up this isn't really relevant.

I agree that garlic presses are pretty useless, but I feel obliged to point out that if you think a knife is helpful when peeling garlic, you should really be doing it a different way.

Separate a clove from the head and rub off any loose paper. Pinch the clove at the top and bottom and twist it back and forth a few times. The paper will crack and come loose at one or both ends. You can then just peel the remaining paper off with your fingertips or fingernails. As an added bonus, twisting the clove helps macerate it and release those tasty oils we all crave!

Worst case outcome (rarely happens to me) is that the clove breaks... but if you're about to chop or mash it up this isn't really relevant.

Ahh. Nice tip. I usually take a clove and press down on it with the side of the knife gently until it pops. I find the paper is then easy to remove and I just chop it. But I am always open to new ways to skin a cat. Or in this case, a head of garlic.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ahh. Nice tip. I usually take a clove and press down on it with the side of the knife gently until it pops. I find the paper is then easy to remove and I just chop it. But I am always open to new ways to skin a cat. Or in this case, a head of garlic.

Is this any good?

$garlic-peeler.jpg

That juice thingy has GOT to be the winner. Sure it's easy to pour, but just wait until your kid lets go after the glass is full . . . the spillage from that sloshing will be hilarious.

I got a SMALL battery-powered grater as a gift one time. The blades dulled quickly, the container was too small, and it couldn't grate the whole vegetable. Worthless.

Actually that tube works pretty well until it for lack of a better explanation, sands its self smooth. Then, not so well.

The inside of mine is smooth and kind of tacky/sticky. It works great until the inside gets gunked up with garlic peel skin, a quick rinse and It's good as new.

Top Bottom