What's new

Nibbers, recommend my next FP!

I'm still pretty new to fountain pens, but am looking to pick up a new go-to FP.

To this point, I've used a Lamy Safari (medium nib), and my daily driver at the moment, an older Parker Frontier (medium nib) loaded with blue-black Quink.

I like the feel of the Parker nib more than the Lamy, for two reasons. It seems smoother (is that a thing?), and seems to write slightly wider than the Lamy.

Now, my criteria/desires:

- Don't want too fine a point. I print more than anything, and have poor penmanship, so a fine point seems to make it look even worse. The Parker medium seems about right.
- I write small bits frequently, and am rough-ish on my pens. My last BP was a stainless steel Cross Century that I used daily for about four years. It's still in great working order, and on my desk. I often pick up my pen, scribble down some digits (accountant), and quickly drop it on my desk again, often not replacing the cap, since I'll be picking it up again in thirty seconds or so to scribble more digits.
- As a result of the above, I'm thinking I'd like something metal and up to the mild abuse I can put a pen through.
- Under $100, ideally, under $50-60.
- Ease of refilling is important, but not crucial.
- Something understated/classic in appearance would be preferred. Nothing too flashy, nothing colorful, etc. Black/dark brown/silver/etc ideally.

Suggestions?

get a used lamy 2000 w/ medium nib. you should be able to find one for less than $100 (buy probably closer to $100 than $50)

I'd say look for a Parker 51 because you could find one of those for under $100, but most all of them have Fine or Extra Fine nibs. If you do find a medium nibbed 51, then that would be a good choice. The only problem with finding a medium 51 is that 51's don't really have there nib sized marked on them anywhere, so unless you are trying out the pen in person, you wont really know what the nib size is for sure (it would just be the seller's guess)

Last edited:
If you want to stay under $50, a vintage Parker 21 would be a good option. There is a 21 "Flighter" model that has a metal barrel and cap, but I think it might be difficult to find one for that price. I've found the Parker 21s to be excellent pens, very durable and reliable, and except for some minor differences (alloy nib instead of gold, etc.) can easily be mistaken for the more expensive and collectible Parker 51.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, a Pilot Vanishing Point seems like a good idea to me, especially given your "jot ... toss ... jot ... toss ... jot ..." habits. You can BIN one off e-bay for about $100 from Japanese sellers, or see what an auction can get you in terms of an even better deal.

Well, a Pilot Vanishing Point seems like a good idea to me, especially given your "jot ... toss ... jot ... toss ... jot ..." habits. You can BIN one off e-bay for about $100 from Japanese sellers, or see what an auction can get you in terms of an even better deal.
I thought this too, except that he would have to be ok with it getting pretty banged up...the finish on mine has not held up well

I thought this too, except that he would have to be ok with it getting pretty banged up...the finish on mine has not held up well

Ah, but this is where the Carbonesque models really shine. It's not a lacquer finish. It's more of a rubbery(?) sort of finish that's much more durable than paint over metal. The black Carbonesque VP is pretty understated, imo.

-Andy

Thanks for the recommendations gents.

I'm sitting here having a beer, and it seems my budget is slowly expanding... :lol: I think I prefer the look of a more open/exposed nib as opposed to the look of the nib on the Parker 21/51.

I'm really fond of the look of the Waterman Expert line. Anyone have one of these? Specifically looking at the stainless, brushed, and matte black finishes. Will one of these stand up to my abuse?

You could go the route of a Parker 45 (I like the stainless steel Flighter best, but have both). Semi-hooded nib, can take a beating (as all 45's can)but look good too. I got a 60's Flighter with 14k gold medium nib for under $20 plus shipping on ebay so about $21-$22 shipped. Easy to take apart to clean, and change nibs. And new nibs are reasonably easy to find. I have seen NOS ones for about $60 or so. My non FLighter is a steel nib (fine) Made in Spain model and I paid about $20+ shipping from Spain.

I have a matte black Waterman Expert with a Medium steel nib. It's a very nice pen, with a classic, understated appearance. Mine writes very, very smooth. Shop around...you should be able to find one just over $100.

As far as reliability, my pen is black enamel over metal (brass?), so it should be pretty durable. The enamel finish might eventually get chipped and scratched if it gets thrown around, dropped, and banged against other metal objects, but that would be strictly cosmetic. A metallic finish might hold up better if it gets a lot of abuse.

Last edited:
I have a matte black Waterman Expert with a Medium steel nib. It's a very nice pen, with a classic, understated appearance. Mine writes very, very smooth. Shop around...you should be able to find one just over $100.

How does the matte finish hold up? Had yours for long?

How does the matte finish hold up? Had yours for long?
I've only had it for a few months and it either gets carried by itself in my shirt pocket or it's on my desk in a wooden pen tray, so it doesn't get banged around at all. So far, it looks perfect...no scratches, scuffs, or other marks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm sitting here having a beer, and it seems my budget is slowly expanding... :lol:

Yeah ... that happens a lot around here.

I think I prefer the look of a more open/exposed nib as opposed to the look of the nib on the Parker 21/51.

A more covered nib will tend to take longer to dry out, so more suited to being left uncapped on your table in between jottings.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Break in to Brian's house and get a Parker51. I just sealed up his Christmas card if you need an address :lol:

On edit: I used to feel the same way about exposed nibs, until I got my Parker51 from Brian. The hand feel and nib smoothness (mine is medium) makes you forget about the fact that the nib is hooded pretty quickly.

Well, contrary to most of the suggestions I was given, I've gone ahead and ordered myself a brand new Waterman Expert III in matte black, with a medium nib.

$Waterman_Expert_Fountain_Pen_Black_Matte.jpg

Suggestions on the best place to order/get a converter for it? I've got a bottle of blue-black Quink on my desk at the moment. Would I be better served to try another brand/ink in this when it arrives?

Suggestions on the best place to order/get a converter for it? I've got a bottle of blue-black Quink on my desk at the moment. Would I be better served to try another brand/ink in this when it arrives?
Hey! I know that pen! :thumbup1:

I believe it ships with a Waterman Serenity Blue cartridge. It's good ink, just nothing spectacular. The Quink is fine.

I got a Waterman converter for my Expert from Amazon...$8.25 w/ free shipping.

Hey! I know that pen! :thumbup1:

I believe it ships with a Waterman Serenity Blue cartridge. It's good ink, just nothing spectacular. The Quink is fine.

I got a Waterman converter for my Expert from Amazon...$8.25 w/ free shipping.

No fitiment/leaking issues with the standard Waterman converter? That's obviously the most logical route, but I saw a few complaints about the converter not sealing well, and leaking, which gave me pause.

I suppose for $10 I can find out... :thumbup1:

The Matte Waterman Expert, is a great pen. I have had one for a while with no issues with the finish. I love using Waterman in general from vintage to modern.

strop

Now half as wise
Any Waterman pen I've purchased has come with a converter, though the last new one was about 8 years ago.

Any Waterman pen I've purchased has come with a converter, though the last new one was about 8 years ago.
I can vouch that the Expert I got a few months ago did NOT come with a converter. For a $100+ pen, I thought that was pretty chintzy.

Top Bottom