What's new

The Gentleman's Cane

I have several canes now, since having back surgery. I'm not particularly old, and I live in the same town I grew up in, so I get lots of "grandpa" and "Mehtuselah" jokes at the kids football and baseball games. Fashion aside, it is a beautiful way to walk around with a lethal self defense weapon for all the world to see. I just wish the sword canes werent more illegal to carry than a sub-machine gun.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If I saw a young man, who looked in the top of health using a cane, I'd think he was a douchebag. Whatever practical (or impractical) reasons healthy people used them in the Victorian era just don't exist anymore. Mostly being that we just don't walk as much anymore. I actually will use 2 lightweight aluminum hiking poles when I'm on long (week long or more) backpacking trips. I thought they looked silly until I used them. Having 2 poles in hand makes navigating sometimes tricky backwood trails easier with a 30 pound pack on your back.

proxy.php

Other than for those with injuries or disabilities, I can see where a nice stout hickory cane with a brass knob and steel tip might come in handy to whack a dog across the nose if one were doing some urban walking in a town with lax leash laws. The only problem would be finding a nice one, instead of a cheap and flimsy novelty.

Canes are coming back, although now they are called "hiking poles" and often used in pairs.

I've used a cane off an on for thirty+ years, and have several cane and walking sticks, including folding canes that I keep in each car. I've finally gone to a staff because I lean on a cane too much and it hurts my gimpy shoulder. I have a 1 -1/8" diameter hickory handle that I got from Lowes or Home Depot. After I sawed the threads off the end and put a rubber foot on it, it's just under 5' tall. I wrapped it in nylon cord for a grip. That's my everyday staff.

I have two other staffs for living history events, depending upon how primitive I want to be. The left one is an old maple sapling wrapped in rawhide secured with copper tacks. The one on the right I made 30 years ago from a broomstick using a steel lance head lashed in a slot with wet rawhide that was allowed to shrink tightly around it. The shaft was then covered with wool fabric on top, some rawhide, and then more cloth at the bottom.

$Staff.jpg $Lance.jpg

To be fair, hiking poles and "gentleman's canes" are totally different things. Historically a cane was a replacement for a sword in old European dress. They went out long ago. An able-bodied person walking with a "gentleman's" cane today might as well be wearing a top hat and cape. It'll look absurd.

Trekking poles are, light, ergonomically efficient, and great for long hikes. They're totally different than a fancy, often heavy and ornamented cane. It's like comparing a knit cap with a silk top hat.

With regard to canes as weapons, I still remember my junior-high social studies teacher -- we were studying India at the time -- surprising us all by drawing the blade from a sword cane!

With regard to canes accessories, I remember liking the look of the blackthorn sticks I saw on sale in Ireland, but had no need. Now if I were to have a messed-up hip, as have two people I know...

Top Bottom