What's new

N00b aLeRt!1

Long time lurker, first time caller.

I have to to say this forum is a massive resource and full of good information. However I have never seen so much YMMV as I have here.

I kinda stumbled into traditional shaving. A friend of mine recommended a safety razor in casual conversation and it piqued my interest. I had considered buying a straight before but figured I would be in over my head. So the seeds were planted. I have a long time love of camping and started rehandling old axes as well as new knives. That lead me to a bit of wood carving and believe it or not a lot of people make their own carving knives from straight razors.

i bought a few razors off eBay and one guy sold me three for $15! They had no real damage to them. Aside from some rust and/or staining and neglected edges. So I flattened those edges "butter knife" style as per the wiki recommendation and sharpened on japanese stones and stropped on homemade strops.

With much research on technique I started doing some WTG passes and the eBay bug bit again. I picked up a vintage gillette and a no name open comb. Bought a badger knot from china and epoxied it into a handle I made. My love for DIY, sharpness, and buying stuff are the happy intersection in the Venn-diagram of my life at the moment.

I will soon be the owner of a ej89kn and r41 head thanks to a uk retailer! Prices seem to be better across the pond! It will be my first new purchase... And from what I read on here it won't be my last.

I grew up never learning to shave and have always had problems with ingrown hairs. Using cartridge razors past their practical life span because of the price and because I didn't know what sharp was and what a good shave was until I started lurking here. thanks to everyone who makes this massive resource/community what it is.

Long time lurker, first time caller.

I have to to say this forum is a massive resource and full of good information. However I have never seen so much YMMV as I have here.

I kinda stumbled into traditional shaving. A friend of mine recommended a safety razor in casual conversation and it piqued my interest. I had considered buying a straight before but figured I would be in over my head. So the seeds were planted. I have a long time love of camping and started rehandling old axes as well as new knives. That lead me to a bit of wood carving and believe it or not a lot of people make their own carving knives from straight razors.

i bought a few razors off eBay and one guy sold me three for $15! They had no real damage to them. Aside from some rust and/or staining and neglected edges. So I flattened those edges "butter knife" style as per the wiki recommendation and sharpened on japanese stones and stropped on homemade strops.

With much research on technique I started doing some WTG passes and the eBay bug bit again. I picked up a vintage gillette and a no name open comb. Bought a badger knot from china and epoxied it into a handle I made. My love for DIY, sharpness, and buying stuff are the happy intersection in the Venn-diagram of my life at the moment.

I will soon be the owner of a ej89kn and r41 head thanks to a uk retailer! Prices seem to be better across the pond! It will be my first new purchase... And from what I read on here it won't be my last.

I grew up never learning to shave and have always had problems with ingrown hairs. Using cartridge razors past their practical life span because of the price and because I didn't know what sharp was and what a good shave was until I started lurking here. thanks to everyone who makes this massive resource/community what it is.

Have you bought the EJ or r41 yet?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Welcome! That's awesome with about your woodcarving hobby as well. I've done minor dabbling in woodcarving and find it to be a very rewarding pastime.

Welcome! I was a lurker while I started getting into this traditional shaving lark, and it's still a goldmine for info and tips. Happy Shaving! :)

A hearty welcome to you! This site is a wealth of information. I've found it invaluable in my discovering and learning this nearly lost art of wet-shaving.

Top Bottom