What's new

I want to buy my first handgun - What brands are good and which to avoid

Glock. It goes bang every time. It's the cheapest gun to maintain, the easiest to field strip and literally with drop in barrels, you can have 2 or 3 different guns from a single platform.

Gaston Glock created a product that everyone has tried to copy and not done so successfully.

I tried out a Glock .45 today. Much bigger than what I am looking to buy. I knew this before trying it out but it was a fun day. I am going to stick with a 9mm.

I also signed up for my concealed carry class which is a prerequisite for the permit. I am on my way!

Thanks for the photo of the custom HP. It has an AK look with those wooden grips.

Take care,
Jason

Last edited:
look at a Sig Sauer P225/P6 it's a single stack 9mm and will be much better for a person with smaller hands. It may bust you budget new but a used P6 should fit nicely. you can find them on gunbroker

look at a Sig Sauer P225/P6 it's a single stack 9mm and will be much better for a person with smaller hands. It may bust you budget new but a used P6 should fit nicely. you can find them on gunbroker

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the single stacks because of size. I shot a S&W MP Shield and loved it.

I was unaware that Sig made a single stack but I have not looked in that direction due to price.

I have been eyeing gun brokers and a used Sig is possible.

I will have to see if one of the ranges has one to rent.

The one thing I am learning is that there is a great deal of camaraderie on the range. I have had more people offer me to shoot their personal guns than the number I have rented. A very gracious crowd towards beginners.

Thank you for the lead.

Take care,
Jason

I'm a little late to this discussion but I'd like to add my two cents. A year ago the LOTH decided she wanted to learn to shoot a pistol and her only prior experience with any firearm was shooting skeet ONCE. As well as comfort, safety for an inexperienced shooter was my first priority considering that she wants to get her CCL.

After a year of shopping and renting at ranges, we decided on the Springfield Armory XD Mod .2 sub-compact and the Ruger LC9s, both are 9mm. The Ruger has a thumb safety and the XD has a grip safety similar in design to a 1911. She prefers the XD but at 5' 1-1/2" tall (she insists I include the 1/2") it's a little big for her to carry.

The XD is my first 9mm and right out of the box I was tremendously impressed, so much so that I've got my eye on a Springfield 1911 for next Christmas!

I'm a little late to this discussion but I'd like to add my two cents. A year ago the LOTH decided she wanted to learn to shoot a pistol and her only prior experience with any firearm was shooting skeet ONCE. As well as comfort, safety for an inexperienced shooter was my first priority considering that she wants to get her CCL.

After a year of shopping and renting at ranges, we decided on the Springfield Armory XD Mod .2 sub-compact and the Ruger LC9s, both are 9mm. The Ruger has a thumb safety and the XD has a grip safety similar in design to a 1911. She prefers the XD but at 5' 1-1/2" tall (she insists I include the 1/2") it's a little big for her to carry.

The XD is my first 9mm and right out of the box I was tremendously impressed, so much so that I've got my eye on a Springfield 1911 for next Christmas!

First - Frank is dead on with the comparison of wetshavers and shooters.

Second - It's never too late to join in. In fact, I just watched a good video comparing the Springfield to the Sheild.

I have been reluctant to try the Springfield because of the rear safety mechanism (not sure what it is really called). There seems to be a consensus that it is not an issue.

The Springfield is on the short list for me. I just need to try it out.

Thanks for the input. It was actually well timed.

Take care,
Jason

PS - I have never seen the acronym LOTH but understood it right away. I got a nice chuckle out of that one as well as the .5 inch requirement.

I've owned and carried an XD subcompact off duty for years before giving it to my son. The rear safety is called the grip safety and IMO, it makes for a safer gun in the striker fired category. I ran thousands and thousands of rounds through that little pistol with not one FTF or other malfunction. I trusted my life with it and that is why I gave it to my boy.

I'm not saying that it is the only choice, but it would not surprise me if it made the cut for you as a finalist for consideration.

Frank

I'll also add that i find the grip safety a huge plus, and not a detractor from the xd. the spring is very light in the grip, and doesn't require more than a normal proper grip on the pistol to disengage it.

I've owned and carried an XD subcompact off duty for years before giving it to my son. The rear safety is called the grip safety and IMO, it makes for a safer gun in the striker fired category. I ran thousands and thousands of rounds through that little pistol with not one FTF or other malfunction. I trusted my life with it and that is why I gave it to my boy.

I'm not saying that it is the only choice, but it would not surprise me if it made the cut for you as a finalist for consideration.

Frank

I'll also add that i find the grip safety a huge plus, and not a detractor from the xd. the spring is very light in the grip, and doesn't require more than a normal proper grip on the pistol to disengage it.

Having researched the features and now owning the XD, I agree with both observations. Also it's very reassuring to hear Frank's experience as a long time owner.

There are several models and configurations of the XD that can be seen on the website. Most are double stack magazines with a wider grip but the XDs is a single stack magazine with a slimmer grip. They all come with a pretty nice set up of "goodies" too! Give one a try at the range and let us know what you think. BUT, like razors, YMMV.

My Shield 9mm is very smooth. They make a .40 also in the shield, however very hard to control the recoil. Remember it is not the size of the round but shot placement. God forbid you ever have to use your weapon defensively, your emotions and adrenaline will be enough to try and control your shot. You don't need a gun you can't get back on target.
I am a former Marine and have fired thousands and thousands of rounds both in pistols and rifles, shotguns etc. yeah we use shotguns.
Shot placement and follow up shots are everything. I have a twin brother also a former Marine, he dumped his .40 MP Shield once he shot my 9mm Shield; yes he got the 9mm. I also have several friends that did the same thing. The 40 is just too much caliber for the average guy in the smaller frame.

The XD in the previous post is another great gun.

good luck.

Last edited:

A Smith & Wesson .40 Shield was added to the menagerie here a couple years back. If 9mm and .40 come in the same sized gun, I'll take the .40 with its larger, heavier bullet every time. Recoil of the Shield seems softer than some other larger .40s I've fired, none of which are unmanageable. Perhaps its the cushioning of the plastic grip frame. Perhaps its the good ergonomics. The .40 Shield is not bad, not bad at all. Easily controllable it is and repeat shots may be effectively directed.

I'll never be a fan of any "plastic" handgun but the Shield is quite decent for what it is.

My son snapped this photo of my attempts to induce a function failure by deliberately limp-wristing the Shield. Holding it as loosely and unsupported as possible and using only trigger finger and thumb, the pistol churned through ammo without a bobble and wasn't brutal to shoot in such a silly way.

I have a .40 Shield. After running. Box of 50 rounds through it, I really don't want to do it again. Can't say that about any of my 9mm pistols or even my .45 1911. But.....

The Shield is not a Range Dweller. If I ever (hopefully never) have to use it in the application for which it is intended, it'll all be over in 2-3 rounds. So often people overlook this aspect when talking about the "ideal" defensive carry weapon.....

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
if i ever (hopefully never) have to use it in the application for which it is intended, it'll all be over in 2-3 rounds. So often people overlook this aspect when talking about the "ideal" defensive carry weapon.....

qft

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
....., it'll all be over in 2-3 rounds. So often people overlook this aspect when talking about the "ideal" defensive carry weapon.....

This of course assumes that there will only be a single assailant, which so far, statistically, is possibly the more likely scenario. But I wonder if this will hold true in the future. Tom Givens of Rangemaster in Memphis, TN states he stopped carrying a 1911 in favor of a Glock because "the 1911 is a two bad guy gun and he lives in a three bad guy town".

Last edited:
Late to the party as well, but considering your budget, you may want to consider a pre lock S&W .38 pistol. Its just my opinion, but first time shooters tend to do a little bit better with revolvers as a starting pistol before working up to a semi auto.

A good solid revolver should be well within your budget, and you may still have a bit of cash left over to buy some ammo, and possibly a belt holster. Try one at the range and see what you think. The .38 is a great cartridge, and general maintenance on revolvers is straight forward and simple. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Late to the party as well, but considering your budget, you may want to consider a pre lock S&W .38 pistol. Its just my opinion, but first time shooters tend to do a little bit better with revolvers as a starting pistol before working up to a semi auto.

A good solid revolver should be well within your budget, and you may still have a bit of cash left over to buy some ammo, and possibly a belt holster. Try one at the range and see what you think. The .38 is a great cartridge, and general maintenance on revolvers is straight forward and simple. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Whether it is a first pistol or the hundredth pistol, I am a firm believer that every man should own at least one good 38 or 357 revolver.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I second the above motions! In true B&B fashion, one of everything! Seriously, every one should have at least one .38/.357 revolver, they are so versatile.

The only thing about a Glock that they are a pain to disassemble for cleaning. Personally, Im a big Browning fan and I love my 1911 and Buckmark. The 1911 is still the greatest handgun ever, IMO.

Top Bottom