What's new

I want to buy my first handgun - What brands are good and which to avoid

I tried out a Glock .45 today. Much bigger than what I am looking to buy. I knew this before trying it out but it was a fun day. I am going to stick with a 9mm.

I also signed up for my concealed carry class which is a prerequisite for the permit. I am on my way!

Thanks for the photo of the custom HP. It has an AK look with those wooden grips.

Take care,
Jason

The new single stack 9mm Glock is sweet.
Here are two of mine. I don't have the single stack. Here is my Glock 26 4gen and my Glock 19 3gen both are double stack 9 mm and conceal well.
Are you wanting one for conceal carry?
proxy.php
proxy.php

The only thing about a Glock that they are a pain to disassemble for cleaning. Personally, Im a big Browning fan and I love my 1911 and Buckmark. The 1911 is still the greatest handgun ever, IMO.

Well...guess it's a classic example of YMMV. My Glock is (to me) far easier to field strip than my 1911...or Hi Power

Glock. It goes bang every time. It's the cheapest gun to maintain, the easiest to field strip and literally with drop in barrels, you can have 2 or 3 different guns from a single platform.

Gaston Glock created a product that everyone has tried to copy and not done so successfully.

+1

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Since this is a resurrected year-and-a-half old thread...I'll join in anyways.

The only thing about a Glock that they are a pain to disassemble for cleaning. Personally, Im a big Browning fan and I love my 1911 and Buckmark. The 1911 is still the greatest handgun ever, IMO.

Like Rob said...HUH?

And you're a big 1911 fan?

A Glock is more of a pain to field strip than having to take the slide stop out of a 1911, then lining the barrel link back up to put the slide stop back in?

Please clarify.

I've fully detail stripped (read that down to the bare frame, slide assemblies included for the pistols) 1911's, S&W revolvers, single action revolvers, Derringers, Walthers, Glocks, etc. Blocks are like tinker toys to take apart and put back together, and to also add aftermarket parts to...no fitting, just drop-ins.

As far as combat tupperware goes...it's rugged, reliable, and easy to work on. But plastic just doesn't have the "soul" of steel and wood.

Did I mention that plastic doesn't have the soul of steel and wood?

Beauty is in the eye of the utilitarian... :wink2:

I know this is originally an old thread, but what Okie said. My tupperware H&K hasn't let me down in 75,000+ rounds at any training, plinking fun, or competition.

And I'm not a glock guy, mainly because of the grip angle, but hard to strip? :a52: Slide lock open, double/triple check unloaded, pull the button down and slide forward.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I believe that is the first Glock slide I've seen engraved. I've seen them otherwise modified and after market custom slides, but never engraved.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There may be a reason for that, John. Engraving on a Glock reminds me of an old phrase...Lipstick on a.... :001_smile

There may be a reason for that, John. Engraving on a Glock reminds me of an old phrase...Lipstick on a.... :001_smile

:lol:
Actually if you google it, there are quite a few. I have seen a few personally, not the super extravagant versions though.

I use my tupperware too much to make it too pretty, but she's still loved just as much. :thumbup:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
:lol:
Actually if you google it, there are quite a few. I have seen a few personally, not the super extravagant versions though.

I use my tupperware too much to make it too pretty, but she's still loved just as much. :thumbup:

Yeah, I still have my old 2nd gen. Glock Model 22 that used to be one of my duty weapons. It now has a Taran Tactical connector kit, aftermarket trigger housing with trigger stop, aftermarket safety plunger, etc. ad nauseum. I still don't shoot it as well as my other handguns but it has never malfunctioned on me.

It now lives as a nightstand gun. But in the other nightstand is another old duty weapon...a Smiff an Western Tree Fiddy Sebum Mangrum.

But you just ain't gonna get as purdy a looking gun with a Glock, nor will you get beautiful grained wood grips like are on Acmemfg's S&W.

attachment.php

Yeah, I still have my old 2nd gen. Glock Model 22 that used to be one of my duty weapons. It now has a Taran Tactical connector kit, aftermarket trigger housing with trigger stop, aftermarket safety plunger, etc. ad nauseum. I still don't shoot it as well as my other handguns but it has never malfunctioned on me.

It now lives as a nightstand gun. But in the other nightstand is another old duty weapon...a Smiff an Western Tree Fiddy Sebum Mangrum.

But you just ain't gonna get as purdy a looking gun with a Glock, nor will you get beautiful grained wood grips like are on Acmemfg's S&W.

attachment.php

That is definitely purdy! As much as I like and use my plastic gun and plastic holster, there is still something about that beautiful wood and fine leather that just gets ya.

I have a SIG 229 with houge grips, and I cant tell you how many times I have looked at the equinox models and think I really need to change those grips...

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah...don't get me wrong...tupperware has its place...like in a duty holster in harsh environments.

But plastic and kydex...or steel, wood, and leather. Ahh, the smell of good leather. Now I'm gonna have to do some shopping for some more nice wood grips for my Colt Officer's ACP and my L frame, along with a new holster for my Colt Cobra.

GAAD...gun accessory acquisition disorder.

Is realdog still looking at this thread?

Realdog...you've been hijacked! :lol:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
All this talk of leather and wood, makes me wonder if I can find a wood grain extended slide release/stop or magazine catch for my Glock. I know, i'll just splash on some Pinaud Special Reserve when carrying my Glock, then close my eyes and pretend. :)

Top Bottom