What's new

Gold Dollor Razors

My mother bought me a gold dollor razor for christmas and I was wondering you gents thoughts on this brand of razor and If they shave good?

They shave great once they are honed properly.

And they take quite a bit of work to get them honed properly. It may have been purchased "shave ready", which would be fine. But if it is straight from the factory it will need work.

Someone needs to bring them a 13/16 ern ator in ningbo and tell them to just copy that and make everyone's life simple.

I've got one, and it shaves nice enough....after a few hours of honing. They're definitely not reliably shave ready from the factory, and mine had a lumpy spine that I needed to straighten before it would take a good bevel. It's not just a razor, it's a hobby...

I have two. One I purchased shave ready and one I bought to learn to hone with. Both shave great and use them regularly.

I have one honed by Buca and it shaves great though it is bloody heavy! I have 7 of the older 'Double Arrow' razors with the white scales which I honed myself but boy...that was a lot of work! Still, fun to shave with. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Gds are great shavers. I dont find the process of honing one to be a problem. 2 minutes on a chosera 600 and thebevel is set. Although some batches are easier than others.

It would be nice if someone showed them a big near wedge and told them to make that. It would be the ultimate platform for experimentation.

Some GDs are works of art, once customised. Lovely razors. I have read many reports of bad ones, but the only one I got new was easy to hone, though it claimed to be shave ready. I have a few custom ones and they are all great.

I've honed over 300 of them, I'd estimate. Only 2 were not able to take a shave ready edge. Never had a warped one either.

Top Bottom