What's new

Portland Razor Incoming

Reading all of this is almost too much to bear. Scott cannot get mine to me quick enough now. It might actually show up very soon, but the Holiday I am sure has increased his backlog. I ordered mine on 11-26, so I am approaching the near end of when it is possible. But Christmas increases has probably made the distant end of the estimate more likely. I ordered the Kraken purely due to the esthetics. That one talked (no it shouted) to me.

First time honing my Hydra today. Scott uses a double bevel, so I tried to emulate it. Used one layer of tape on the Naniwa 1k, 3k, 5k, 8k and 12k, then added another layer to finish off on my Thuri. It seems pretty darned sharp per my arm hair, will see how she does on the beard.

Here is a pic of my pair of hydras: 8\8, and his standard 6/8. Very happy with both....very unhappy with my photography skills.

Attachments

• $WP_20141224_10_05_58_Pro.jpg
    $WP_20141224_10_05_58_Pro.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 117
  • $WP_20141224_10_07_01_Pro.jpg
    $WP_20141224_10_07_01_Pro.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 117
  • $WP_20141224_10_08_41_Pro.jpg
    $WP_20141224_10_08_41_Pro.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 117
  • $WP_20141224_10_09_14_Pro.jpg
    $WP_20141224_10_09_14_Pro.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 117
  • $WP_20141224_10_10_44_Pro.jpg
    $WP_20141224_10_10_44_Pro.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 117
Congratulations Gentlemen: Scott is turning out an awesome product and the demand is skyrocketing. I saw on his F.B. page a large number of razors shipped yesterday. These are his final shipments before Christmas. I'm expecting my second custom razor the first week of 2015. Cross your fingers, hopefully your razor made it to the USPS sort facility yesterday.

Last edited:
He is doing a fabulous job for a 1-man operation. It's extremely honorable that quality does not suffer due to his high demand and constant work schedule. Anyone that currently or has run their own business- this is exactly what they want. Folks talking about the product, folks ordering the product, then folks being overly-impressed with him exceeding already very high expectations. Then the cycle starts all over. I still wish I could replicate the absolutely superb edge he puts on the razors prior to shipping. My honing akills have improved greatly, but still have a long way to go before hitting that level. I've shaved with my Portland razor about 10-12 times and it still doesn't need anywhere close to a honing refresher. I've taken extreme care in handing the razor and even more care while stropping. I go slower than normal and also lay multiple bath mats on the tile to cushion the fall, just in case. I do this while honing my other higher end straights as well. Less than a year into it, I don't want to be that guy posting picks of my nice, 8/8 Filly with a nice chunk out of it, because I dropped it. That Kraken that's been sitting in my cart is getting closer and closer to a purchase.

Enjoy your Portland Razors Gents, they really are nice and extremely well fabricated and constructed. You won't be sorry.

Cheers,

Dan

**I Haven't forgotten about pics of my 8/8 Hydra, they will be posted by Sunday.

Merry Christmas!

Congratulations Gentlemen: Scott is turning out an awesome product and the demand is skyrocketing. I saw on his F.B. page a large number of razors shipped yesterday. This is his final shipment before Christmas. I'm expecting my second custom razor the first week of 2015. Cross your fingers, hopefully your razor made it to the USPS sort facility yesterday.

As promised gentlemen-

The Christmas Eve Shave:
Strop- TM Artesian 3" Premium Steerhide (not shown) -Love, Love, Love this strop. It's like butter!!
Razor- Portland Hydra 8/8 with custom Silky Oak scales and moisture wicking wool sheath
Captain Lather bowl(Can't beat it)
Captain Sandalwood A/S- Love it!
Awesome WW Snow Leopard brush with 2-band Shavemac knot
Martin De Candre Soap(Top O' The Line)
Lastly some Thayers Lemon W/H (Didn't really need it, superb shave with zero burn)

**Ongoing apologies about my horrible photography and also using Ipad for pics.

Cheers!

Dan

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 95
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 96
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 95
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 95
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 97
The Portland razors are honed with two layers of tape.

"In order to offset the skinny spine I hone my razors with 2 pieces of tape which brings the bevel angle to right around 16.5deg. I know a lot of people don't really like to hone with tape, but I have been using this method for a long time now, and on my razors have been getting very consistent results. "

First time honing my Hydra today. Scott uses a double bevel, so I tried to emulate it. Used one layer of tape on the Naniwa 1k, 3k, 5k, 8k and 12k, then added another layer to finish off on my Thuri. It seems pretty darned sharp per my arm hair, will see how she does on the beard.

Here is a pic of my pair of hydras: 8\8, and his standard 6/8. Very happy with both....very unhappy with my photography skills.

Two very nice razors from PRC. Well Done. I'm looking forward to reading your review.

Just received my custom 7/8 PRC Kraken today. Also sprang for the engraving on the spine and will pass it down to my son one day.

$PRC Razor 1.jpg$PRC Razor 2.jpg

Top Bottom