What's new

Sandalwood similar to C&F cedar and sandalwood

Tried last summer the AOS sandalwoodand did not really like it, it is like a sweet sandalwood scent.

I thought sandalwood was not for me until I tried a sample of the Castle and Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood, I absolutely love the smokey sandalwood of the C&F, almost like a tobacco smell in fact.

Any other sandalwood similar to this? Smokey but not sweet like the AOS.

tia , Pat

The Proraso Sandalwood is anything but sweet. It is as natural and earthy smelling as any sandalwood I've experienced. Great post shave feel as well. I'd suggest the croap over the cream.

The Proraso Sandalwood is anything but sweet. It is as natural and earthy smelling as any sandalwood I've experienced. Great post shave feel as well. I'd suggest the croap over the cream.

+1. Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter soap is excellent. Very earthy and gives a real smooth shave.

thks guys, will look at the proraso sandalwood if i find the smokey sandalwood scent I like

, pat

+1 to the suggestions above....I love both the TOBS and the Proraso...great scents and great comfortable shaves

Having owned TOBS, GFT and AOS (NOS by Valobra) Sandalwood soaps I find TOBS to be the sweetest of them all.
The GFT has some vanilla notes in it but I'd say it's more on the woody, earthy side. This is the one I'd recommend to you scent-wise, the AOS performance-wise.

Having owned TOBS, GFT and AOS (NOS by Valobra) Sandalwood soaps I find TOBS to be the sweetest of them all.
The GFT has some vanilla notes in it but I'd say it's more on the woody, earthy side. This is the one I'd recommend to you scent-wise, the AOS performance-wise.

thks suede, will try to find some GFT sandalwood sample for a test,
went to check on the proraso and found the scent to be very mild, also realize from the notes I have that I tried TOBS some time ago to find it a bit on the sweet side.

,pat

WSP ( wet shave products) has a great smelling sandalwood. it literally smells like an actual sandalwood. and it provides a really thick and dense lather.. it has great cushion on it.

WSP ( wet shave products) has a great smelling sandalwood. it literally smells like an actual sandalwood. and it provides a really thick and dense lather.. it has great cushion on it.

I'm not an expert by any means on sandalwood, but WSP's Rustic sandalwood smells wonderful.

Tried last summer the AOS sandalwoodand did not really like it, it is like a sweet sandalwood scent.

I thought sandalwood was not for me until I tried a sample of the Castle and Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood, I absolutely love the smokey sandalwood of the C&F, almost like a tobacco smell in fact.

Any other sandalwood similar to this? Smokey but not sweet like the AOS.

tia , Pat

sorry for dumb question, but if you like C&F sandalwood, why not go ahead and grab a tub?
in the long run, it might be cheaper than experimenting with unknowns.

sorry for dumb question, but if you like C&F sandalwood, why not go ahead and grab a tub?
in the long run, it might be cheaper than experimenting with unknowns.

Nothing dumb about that, in fact probably for the same reason I have several straights , more than 20 perfumes often variance of a same theme (fougeres like azzaro, rive gauche...), several soaps that have nuances around a same type...

I know for sure that the AOS type sandalwood is not for me, was curious if the TOBS being different was closer to an sandalwood sweet like AOS or smokey tabacco'ish like the C&Forbes

Nothing dumb about that, in fact probably for the same reason I have several straights , more than 20 perfumes often variance of a same theme (fougeres like azzaro, rive gauche...), several soaps that have nuances around a same type...

I know for sure that the AOS type sandalwood is not for me, was curious if the TOBS being different was closer to an sandalwood sweet like AOS or smokey tabacco'ish like the C&Forbes

While I've never tried TOBS sandalwood soap, I have their cologne as well as their hand wash in sandalwood, both have same, pronounced straight sandalwood scent. Perhaps a little musky and cedar-y.
Too bad you didn't like the AOS sandalwood, it's a classic IMO, altho it does have a bit of eucalyptus and something-sweet as you point out, but i love it and used it exclusively for a couple years.

Castle and Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood

Sorry to be the name nazi, but it's not "Castle and Forbes." It's just Castle Forbes (CF for short), literally named after the castle of the Forbes clan in Scotland. It's not a cooperative concern like Truefitt & Hill. Now you've got Sarimento saying it.

Sorry to be the name nazi, but it's not "Castle and Forbes." It's just Castle Forbes (CF for short), literally named after the castle of the Forbes clan in Scotland. It's not a cooperative concern like Truefitt & Hill. Now you've got Sarimento saying it.

Thks for mentionning :001_smile, I would have misspelled forever. was sure it was C&F, thks, pat

As part of a trade, got monday some TOBS Sandalwood and it is a nice addition to shaving soap/cream stock.

Although the sandalwood in it is closer to the sweet sandalwood of AOS than the smokey tobacco sandalwood of CF (got it this time ;) ) , I must say that the mix of the different scent in it is great. Certainly more of a fragrance type sandalwood , with considerable patchouli/Flower scent to it than the AOS, and to my nose it makes the difference.
In fact I had a feeling of 50% AOS sandalwood / 50% MWF with the TOBS cream.

Much different from CF Cedar/Sandalwood, but certainly nice.

, pat

Top Bottom