What's new

does lapping film work good?

Ok so my mother has bought me a streight for christmas along with a strop some soap and a new brush. I was wondering if lapoing film is a good way to go until i can get some honing stones.

Lapping film works extremely well.

I honed my first ever straight 15 minutes after receiving it using lapping film.

No fuss.

No muss.

No mojo.

No kidding. It's good stuff

Using JNats is like driving a vintage British sports car: lots of fun, classy, but fussy, expensive, hard to maintain, and your driving technique needs to be spot on to get the best performance out of it.

Using JNats is like driving a vintage British sports car: lots of fun, classy, but fussy, expensive, hard to maintain, and your driving technique needs to be spot on to get the best performance out of it.

LOL

Fun-yes
Classy-yes
Fussy-not really
Expensive-does not have to be
Hard to maintain-nope, lap it every once in a while, no need to worry about a speck of dust getting between the film and the backing messing up the film
Technique-like everything else

LOL

Fun-yes
Classy-yes
Fussy-not really Please clearly explain how much slurry, and what dilution should be used
Expensive-does not have to be How much for an entry level stone? $80 at least, right? Does that stone cover a wide range? Does that include the necessary slurry stones, etc, etc...?
Hard to maintain-nope, lap it every once in a while, no need to worry about a speck of dust getting between the film and the backing messing up the film
Technique-like everything else See "fussy" above

proxy.php

Waaa-HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

"Hello? Triple A?"
proxy.php

Hey, hey, hey....whoah now!

The OP was asking about the effectiveness of lapping film. No need to try and lobby for JNats here. If he wanted to find out about the mysterious world of JNats, don't you think he'd have asked?

Jeesh, you guys are so defensive!

:w00t:

Hey, hey, hey....whoah now!

The OP was asking about the effectiveness of lapping film. No need to try and lobby for JNats here. If he wanted to find out about the mysterious world of JNats, don't you think he'd have asked?

Jeesh, you guys are so defensive!

:w00t:

I said it worked

. I was wondering if lapoing film is a good way to go until i can get some honing stones.

Yes, lapping film does work really well, amazing stuff. Any synthetic above 10k will give shavable edges. And the car analogy always works for guys to equate.

I look at the natural stones as having "range" as part of their character, they are more flexable in the way they handle different steels, but at the same time you as the user need to adapt somewhat. This demand on the user to adapt is part of their charm and it is also why some natural stone users seem to be passionate about their stones, relationships form because their stones almost have a personality. Each natural stone looks different, then why shouldn't they perform differently, and they do. The challange to learn to use any of the natural stones from Coticule to Japanese naturals engages the person honing to advance their skills in ways that incorporate common sense, networking, log and note taking, backtracking on an edge and the idea of finetuning and experimenting with your technique.

Few fellows begin their honing odyssey with natural stones, but most fellows eventully find their tastes lead to the natural stones from what ever source.

I recommend that you test out what ever abrasive source that you feel is in your budget, the idea is to get shavable edges as soon as possible so that you don't drop out of the quest. Once you have done that and are shaving on your own edges then you get an indelible impression as to what sharp really is in regards to your style of shaving and skin type. Everyone here is behind your journey, so keep it up.

good luck,
Alex

Top Bottom