What's new

Aftershave that's suitable for younger men

Its available at certain online drugstores, but the Spanish version which I have offers much more value for money then the ones being sold in France, Belgium, Italy.

I don't know the Spanish version. And my job only brings me in Germany, Belgium, and the UK really.

But indeed, there's more choice online than in the B&M shops.

You really just have to specify what you like and what you don't like. "Young man", "old man", etc don't have universal meanings.

I tried. The biggest problem is that I haven't got a huge collection of fragrances or a lot of experience with aftershaves, so apart from listing the colognes and aftershaves I tried and liked I am afraid I can't get more specific :(

It's a complex leather-y, bay rum-y, wood-y, somewhat citrus-y and powdery fragrance. Like said, I'm a big fan of the stuff. I haven't pinpointed what I like most about it. On me, I find the powder fragrance to be the prime scent... That note alone reminds me of Avon Wild Country quite a bit, but then I get a trace of another note in the mix and I'm suddenly sipping on an ice cold beverage, down in the West Indies, in my mind. It's great stuff and I hope you like it.

That sure sounds interesting, but makes me hesitant a bit, too.. Floid Vig is described as powdery as well, which to me smells like cheap odour sticks (these: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/smell-stick-27272141.jpg) or those new age stores where you can buy postcards made of cow dong. I think I'll just put it on my christmas list and pass it on if I don't like it :)

Try 4711 After shave splash

Ah yes, thanks! I've read a lot of good things about this, it's available (yay!) and quite cheap, too. Awesome!

My favourite aftershave at the moment is the Crown Shaving Co. Aftershave Tonic. It's a nice combination of old-school barbershop scents (talc, bay rum) with a modern attitude, for lack of a better word. I see you're in the EU. It's a Canadian product but available online through fendrihan.com and westcoastshaving.com. Not sure what their shipping is like to the EU, though. My favourite cologne at the moment that combines old-school scents in a modern context is John Varvatos Vintage. Again, it's got a bay rum/spicy top note but some nice citrus underneath. Give it a try! Good luck!

This is my all time favorite AS scent for M-F. I've never received as many compliments on anything else I've ever used. That said, not sure I'd consider it "young".

Consider DrH Windsor or Fine Platinum. PPF Speakeasy would be another good one.

This is my all time favorite AS scent for M-F. I've never received as many compliments on anything else I've ever used. That said, not sure I'd consider it "young".

As long as you wouldn't consider it "old" I'm fine with it :) It's on my wishlist for this christmas, I'll let you know what I think of it!

You really just have to specify what you like and what you don't like. "Young man", "old man", etc don't have universal meanings.

A couple of people have noted that the suggestion that I made earlier was kind of "odd" since the Crown Shaving AS Tonic is more associated with "old man smell". I guess internally I was thinking that younger guys should adopt classic scents instead of stuff that smells like Axe Body Spray... :001_smile

I like the classic scents and modern scents both, however I think Axe does a very good job in creating modern scents with a big variety and don't people love variety here? I think the best is just to try scents, because I was also told that Aqua Velva is a old guys scent but I really love it and I'm still under 30.

I just want to clarify my post about Crown Shaving Co. Tonic... there is no such thing as "old man smell". Some people associate classics as smelling like an "old man". It's a completely subjective thing and I don't believe there is an exact designation for the term. Not once did I say it was an "odd" suggestion. I'm glad it was suggested! I said I don't discriminate fragrances by calling them "young/old" and that I love the stuff and that it's a classic old school barbershop scent. It's one of my favourites and I'll say it again... I'd recommend it to any aftershave enthusiast.

No worries dwsteen! I didn't mean to sound cranky if it came off that way. I shouldn't post before having coffee. :001_smile

A couple of people have noted that the suggestion that I made earlier was kind of "odd" since the Crown Shaving AS Tonic is more associated with "old man smell". I guess internally I was thinking that younger guys should adopt classic scents instead of stuff that smells like Axe Body Spray... :001_smile

I just want to clarify my post about Crown Shaving Co. Tonic... there is no such thing as "old man smell". I said some people associate classics as smelling like an "old man". It's a completely subjective thing and I don't believe there is an exact designation of aftershaves that fall into the term. Not once did I say it was an "odd" suggestion. I was surprised and glad you suggested it! I said I don't discriminate fragrances by calling them "young/old" and that I love the stuff and that it's a classic old school barbershop scent. It's one of my favourites and I'll say it again... I'd recommend it to any aftershave enthusiast.

EDIT: Forgot to include the quote, so I deleted and reposted. Sorry for the weird post order!

Last edited:
No worries dwsteen! I didn't mean to sound cranky if it came off that way. I shouldn't post before having coffee. :001_smile

Not at all! I just wanted to be clear that I'm a big fan and my post wasn't intended as a deterrent to your suggestion, is all. It's one of the best aftershaves in my collection. :001_smile

Fine American Blend. I can't imagine an age where it wouldn't be great!

I'm 28, and this type of barbershop scent definitely doesn't work. My girlfriend hates it as do I. Good thing there are other scent like RazoRock The Freedberg that are terrific.

I think that Aqua Velva Ice Sport might satisfy your needs. More of a 'modern' scent, but still very reliable and wonderfully priced.

Maybe shoot Garry a note (link below). Tell him what you're looking for and see what he recommends. He can probably send you suitable samples for a small price, and small shipping (assuming he'll ship to Nederlands).

That way, when you decide what you want, you can have West Coast Shaving send you a full size container.

I was just in WCS today, and smelled a few samples. Coincidentally, I also received about 15 samples from Garry as well.

Good to know shipping is only $15. My buddy from Eindhoven just posted a picture with some serious stubble. Told him he needed a razor. Now I can send him one from Sinterklaas and not break the bank!

http://sampleshop.blogspot.com

I'm a young guy as well and I've found Baxter's aftershave balm to be great. It has some lemon notes but meshes well with all of my creams.

To me old man in Europe might mean: Floid , Myrsol , Mont St Michel, etc...

and in North America: Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Clubman

depends on what you think your grandpa smelled like. Maybe using the euro stuff in NA and vice-versa might work, culture reversal!?

Btw I'm 47

Top Bottom