What's new

Polishing the sides of the leather soles on shell cordovan shoes?

I have a pair of AE shell cordovan chukkas. The sole is leather and it's not heavily stained but left a natural color so it has a light tan look that suits the shoe. With heavy use and walking on wet pavements the sides of the sole are starting to look quite rough whereas the upper polishes up like a mirror. I'm interested in suggestions for how to polish the sides of the soles and keep the nice unstained (maybe neutral polish) look without using regular polish on the on the shell cordovan - this I normally dry brush with an occasional polish with Saphir cordovan polish.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The following is an excerpt from a styleforum post regarding the same topic.

"That said, "toasted" or "chili" edge is the same and seems to be closest to Alden's "antique" edge. I, and others here, use AE's chili edge dressing on Alden's antiqued edges."

And another excerpt:

"I use Neutral on the antique edge, so I don't darken it at all."

The dressing arrived - along with a nice pair of zig-zag pattern socks. The before and after (top and bottom pics) difference could not be described as "dramatic" but certainly rates as a very worthwhile improvement. AE edge dressing works well!

$IMG_0021.jpg$IMG_0022.jpg

Wouldn't seem to make sense but I have found it helpful to apply edge dressing in light coats and buff/rub it a bit with a soft rag between coats. fills in all those little cracks, etc. Just did my British Tan White's Semi-dress and it made a big difference. I really scuff the back of the heel driving for some reason.

Top Bottom