What's new

What is your favorite Shavemac or Thater brush?

I hear so many good things about these two brands that I am curious to know what your favorite brush is from each company. If you have only one and like it, that's great, but I'd love to hear from those who have tried a few Shavemacs or Thaters and narrowed it down to one favorite that they could live with and enjoy almost every day.

Thanks.
John

I used to have a 4125/2 3 band Thäter but my 3 band Shavemac is a better brush for me.

I have a write up about my Shavemacs compared to a Boar brush here:

attachment.php

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/416591-Brush-shootout-Badger-v-boar

I have two shavemac brushes, though both are Rudy Vey customs. One is a 24mm D01 3-band, which I do love. But not as much as my d01 2-band, 26mm in a chief style handle. Definitly, it is my desert island brush. Amazing. Great backbone, some scrub. It gets a sorta bad rap, but I love it.

Sold my Shavemacs but they are great brushes and one day I'll get one again.

I've tried 4 Thaters and kept 2 -

4292/4 2-band bulb
4376/4 3-band bulb

Love them both equally.

Shavemac Finest Fan @46/23, 167 Pearl Imitation Handle. The knot actually measures 25.3mm at the opening, tremendous backbone & scrub.

It really depends on what you're looking for. I recently received a 4125/4 Thater 2 band fan and really like it, but it doesn't have much backbone. If the same knot, same loft, was in the Shavemac 2 band Silvertip, I'd LOVE it.

I love my Shavemac 2 band Silvertip fan 24/47. It's one of my favorite brushes. The Thater is great, but it certainly does lack some backbone.

I prefer the Thater 4125 (1 or 2) in three band bulb...
unless I'm in the mood for some backbone, them it's the Shavemac D01 three band. Of course, the two bands are just as special.

If I could only have one brush, I'd be happy with either the Thater or the Shavemac. In three or two band, they're all wonderful.

I've had 3 Thater's (now down to 2) and I've had 5 Shavemacs (now down to 4, with 1 on the market) and I can say unequivocally that I prefer Thater, hands down. I've got the 4292/3 3-band and the 4125/0 2-band, and the 3 band is a keep forever brush. The Shavemacs are either too dense or have some feint scritch which I don't like in a badger brush. All are excellent brushes, don't get me wrong!

Thater 4125/1 2-band fan owner here and, quite frankly, it's the ****!

Sounds sacrilegious but it regularly trumps brushes from far more respected names that I have used. But you have to treat them all like your children…love them equally.

Thater 4125/2 three band bulb - soft tips, sufficient back bone. This brush is kind of a jack of all trades type both soft and stiff.
Shavemac DO1 three band bulb - outstanding quality, stiff, uber backbone. A delight to use.

I enjoy all kinds of brushes from the very soft to the very stiff. Both Thater and Shavemac make excellent brushes and I could be happy with either. German craftsmanship for the win :).

Top Bottom